Best Concert and Regrets

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears game last Sunday might have sucked but there was a great discussion on BFO about all the music people are listenting to and concerts they've seen. I thought it would be a fun thread to read.

The best concert I went to was easily Pink Floyd, 1973. The group I hung with had been great fans for a long time (Ummagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle). It was announced they were going to play the cow palace, the Chicago Ampitheater. A friend and I scored 7th row center seats for $15 each. We drove down in my '65 Chevy Belair, blasting Floyd songs on the 8-track player I had installed (many a night cruising in that baby up and down Lake Shore Drive, Sheridan Road, etc.). Floyd opens up with 'Echoes', one of my all-time favorites. Then, without stopping, they segue into music we had never heard before and had not been on the radio yet: Dark Side of the Moon.OMG, the arena went absolutely batshit. The light show was old fashioned, with lights like you'd see in a high school production, no lasers back then. The next day, as soon as I woke up, I turned on the radio and XRT was going on and on about the concert and the new album. I rushed over to the local store to buy the album and the guy said they were flying off the shelf.

Other notable concerts: Cheap Trick - opened for Aerosmith (who sucked), played the piss out of their music, pretty much the same concert as Buddokan. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, just non-stop foot stompin' rock.

Ones I wished I'd seen: The Dead, The Who, Jethro Tull (Aqualung tour with Thick As A Brick as the encore), Pulse (the final show by Floyd, spectacular music and effects but I don't think they toured it in the U.S.)
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

I did personal security as a side gig for about 7 years, so I've probably seen a thousand concerts, and going to concerts now sounds just painful to me having dealt with all the headaches.

However. The best concert I've ever been to as an attendee was Coldplay. My wife loves Coldplay. I had never listened to Coldplay in my life before going to this concert. The sheer amount of fun people were having was actually contagious. I knew none of the words to any of the songs, but it was the most fun I've ever had at a show.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:11 pm I did personal security as a side gig for about 7 years, so I've probably seen a thousand concerts, and going to concerts now sounds just painful to me having dealt with all the headaches.

However. The best concert I've ever been to as an attendee was Coldplay. My wife loves Coldplay. I had never listened to Coldplay in my life before going to this concert. The sheer amount of fun people were having was actually contagious. I knew none of the words to any of the songs, but it was the most fun I've ever had at a show.
"Fix You" is always incredible live. The big crescendo into the finale is so intense and Chris Martin always does a big jump or stage dive or whatever. I don't particularly love Coldplay but they seem to put on a huge show.

Best concert I've ever been to was My Chemical Romance back in 2011 or thereabouts. I went to see blink-182, but then MCR started and absolutely just kicked my ass. I didn't give a shit about seeing the headlining blink, as MCR took everything I had. It ruled. Green Day puts on an outstanding live show as well. Lots of fun and great performances.

My right ear has some hardcore tinnitus, so I doubt I'll be seeing anymore major concerts, just too painful. Kinda blows.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:54 pm The Bears game last Sunday might have sucked but there was a great discussion on BFO about all the music people are listenting to and concerts they've seen. I thought it would be a fun thread to read.

The best concert I went to was easily Pink Floyd, 1973. The group I hung with had been great fans for a long time (Ummagumma, Saucerful of Secrets, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle). It was announced they were going to play the cow palace, the Chicago Ampitheater. A friend and I scored 7th row center seats for $15 each. We drove down in my '65 Chevy Belair, blasting Floyd songs on the 8-track player I had installed (many a night cruising in that baby up and down Lake Shore Drive, Sheridan Road, etc.). Floyd opens up with 'Echoes', one of my all-time favorites. Then, without stopping, they segue into music we had never heard before and had not been on the radio yet: Dark Side of the Moon.OMG, the arena went absolutely batshit. The light show was old fashioned, with lights like you'd see in a high school production, no lasers back then. The next day, as soon as I woke up, I turned on the radio and XRT was going on and on about the concert and the new album. I rushed over to the local store to buy the album and the guy said they were flying off the shelf.

Other notable concerts: Cheap Trick - opened for Aerosmith (who sucked), played the piss out of their music, pretty much the same concert as Buddokan. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, just non-stop foot stompin' rock.

Ones I wished I'd seen: The Dead, The Who, Jethro Tull (Aqualung tour with Thick As A Brick as the encore), Pulse (the final show by Floyd, spectacular music and effects but I don't think they toured it in the U.S.)
Jealous as fuck that you got to see Floyd.

They were before my time, but I love their music.

My best concert ever, IDK, I'll say my first one because it was my first.

I saw Motorhead and Black Sabbath (without Ozzy). From there I was hooked. This was at Tinley Park. Lemmy brought it that night something fierce and that gravelly voice. Damn.

My regret was missing out on being in a Pantera video by like five feet. My best friend at the time and I were second row at an Ozz Fest where Pantera was playing. We really got into it. I even caught a guitar pick. Well Pantera was filming for a live VHS and they were panning the crowd. We kept checking record stores for when this thing was going to come out. When it did we bought it, went home and watched it.

Sure as shit they included footage from the concert we were at. They panned to the right and stopped panning just a few feet before they would've shown us. We would've been immortalized in a Pantera video for all time.

I still have that tape, but no VCR to play it in, LOL. It's right next to my boxed set of Metallica Live: Binge & Purge that I worked two weeks over a summer when I was a kid to buy.
UOK
Site Admin

I didn't see this show, but I love the stage setup and the song, obviously. No matter the age, the guys are all having a fucking blast playing with Gilmour, who himself is just a fucking god.

I know there's some pitch correction in place here, but seeing Simon & Garfunkel rock another all-time song is great. I watch videos from this concert often.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Everyone's listing great shows. The shows are a result of the era one grew up in and the music you really really like. For me, it will always be mid-60s to mid-70s rock although a few bands have snuck who played after that time.

Saw Floyd in '76(?) on their 'Wish You Were Here' concert. They were tired and burned out although it was a decent show. They said that Dark Side's success just about destroyed the band, everyone expected each album to be just as killer.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

I'm a big music guy although I don't listen to new stuff like I used to (pretty normal). In the last century (lol) I was pretty active with going to shows.

For me the top show of all time was The Clash at the Aragon in '82 (Combat Rock tour). That was their swan song tour and they played all their stuff. The energy was unimaginable, and some of the best tunes were their reggae/dub/hiphop mashups in between their punk/rock classics. Never been at anything like it before or since.

Other notable shows:
- Went to The Who's "farewell tour" in '88 (lol). At Alpine Valley. It was really really good. In retrospect, they were still in their relative prime.
- The original Farm Aid at U of I with Willie and Mellencamp in '85 was a great experience. I've become a HUGE Willie fan in the last 10 years... he's one of my all time favorites.
- Separate small venue shows that were awesome in the early '80s at the U of I Auditorium: Pretenders ('81), Ramones ('81) and English Beat ('82). The rapid "pogo-ing" was crazy for the Ramones, and I thought we in the balcony were going to collapse.
- I've seen the Police and the English Beat together multiple times (great combo) including the first and last shows of the Synchronicity Tour in '84. The final show was a big all-day show at old Sox Park with Flock of Seagulls, Joan Jett, Ministry and a few others. Sort of an '80s timepiece.
- The Cars and Wang Chung (lol) at Alpine Valley in '85. I was with a super-hot chick and the roadies invited us to an afterparty at the lodge there & we partied with the bands (not Ocasek or Orr, unfortunately). She went home with me.
- Went to a Hank Jr. show in the early '90s. He was 90 minutes late to start and was so hammered he could only finish about 4 songs before he apologized and left.
- Saw most mainstream '70s and '80s bands (Cheap Trick, Journey, REO, Springsteen, Foreigner, etc). All fun.
- Most high-energy / intense show beyond The Clash was 'Lil Wayne and T-Pain with a bunch of their collaborators in the late '90s at the Joe in the D. It was a strange combo of college kids, 14 year old girls with their parents (me) and half Detroit gangbangers. I'm serious one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

I don't go to arena shows anymore - although sometimes I'm tempted until I see the prices. My biggest regret was not seeing the Stones when they were younger. Now I won't because they're caricatures even if the music sounds good. Same with the Eagles. I also HUGELY regret not seeing Zep. I really like PInk Floyd but never really listened to their early stuff. I have Wish, Dark Side, Animals and the Wall on vinyl and they're worn out. I wish I would have seen them before the Waters departure for sure. Epic.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I was way too young to see Zep, but I saw Robert Plant solo 3x in the late 80s/early 90s. Thoroughly enjoyed them.

Duran Duran and Nine Inch Nails both put on terrific, if obviously very different, shows back in 1993. I've seen a few artists multiple times, but none of the rock legends.

I kinda miss not seeing Metallica in their prime, but also kinda don't, considering what tools some of them turned out to be.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Saw Plant as well in 1983. It was a great show. Phil Collins on drums.

I would have to say seeing Kansas with the Western Illinois University Philharmonic Orchestra was kick ass. Granted it was their 35th Anniversary and Livgren and Robbie Steinhardt were not with them then. The orchestra just put the music over the top.

Buddy Guy was kick ass. Glad I got to see Koko Taylor a few years before she died.

April Wine and Uriah Heep was kick ass in 1982.

First time I saw ZZ in 1983 was a big thrill for me.

Lately I go to shows at smaller venues. Usually go to see Blues acts. A can't miss is Samantha Fish. She can play the guitar and she is damn fine to look at. Seeing Tedeschi Trucks in a couple of weeks.

A lesser known blues guitarist that can tear it up is Albert Castigilia. He is worth the $20.
Last edited by Otis Day on Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I would have loved to see Dire Straits live. Whoever was in the line up with Mark Knopfler and John Ilsley they were always great. The Alchemy album/concert recording is one of the greatest things you'll ever hear/see. Truly exceptional.

We're incredibly fortunate there are so many recordings of them performing live, from TV shows like Rockpalast in the early days through Alchemy, Live Aid, The Nelson Mandela Tribute Concert the band headlined, Knebworth '90 and On The Night.

I would also have loved to have caught Knopfler with his other band The Notting Hillbillies. There's nothing like smaller, more intimate gigs.

Although I never had the opportunity to see Dire Straits or The Notting Hillbillies, I have had the pleasure of catching Mark Knopfler live several times. On the first occasion the band came out jamming and he hit the worst bum note you've ever heard! He just turned to the others and laughed, then proceeded to produce his usual sublime playing the rest of the way. On another occasion he ended the gig by turning to keyboardist Guy Fletcher, the only member of Dire Straits who remains part of his band, handed him the red signature Stratocaster he'd been playing throughout and just said "It's his birthday".

Knopfler never goes overboard on the volume at his performances, which is great because you really get to appreciate the sheer brilliance of the musicianship on display. I went to a Meat Loaf concert during his Bat of Hell II tour and it was just really loud and it felt like it was to hide any shortcomings. At times you could barely hear him over the instruments. At one point he got frustrated with the crowd for being slow to pick up on the clapping rhythm on You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth, which didn't show him in a good light, and the program actually listed the encores, which struck me as rather presumptuous and killed any anticipation about how long the concert would go on for.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

Samantha Fish doing her version of Black Sabbath's War Pigs. This used to be a staple for her, now not so much.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:29 pm I kinda miss not seeing Metallica in their prime, but also kinda don't, considering what tools some of them turned out to be.
I’ve seen Metallica three times. All after the Black or self titled album.

They were always great. Jason was the bass player each time.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

seems like a lifetime ago since I've been a concert goer ... but I do remember a high school road trip to see Molly Hatchett, Charlie Daniels and Lynnyrd Skynerd ... that was notable as it was with my high school sweetheart that I thought I would be with forever ... that didn't work out ... but the concert was great

so I guess that covers both best concert and regret
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:40 am I didn't see this show, but I love the stage setup and the song, obviously. No matter the age, the guys are all having a fucking blast playing with Gilmour, who himself is just a fucking god.

This version of Comfortably Numb is my favorite. It is Gilmour at his very best. I get chills every time I watch it (it's been about 100 times). Watch the drummer and and the other members of Gilmour's band as he destroys the second solo. A) They can't believe they're on stage at that moment, B) They understand that they are witnessing one of the greatest guitar performances of all time. No guitarist in the history of Rock has ever created more emotional guitar solos with fewer notes. Gilmour's use of space and simple pentatonic licks to create pure magic is unrivaled.

I'm watching it again, with the volume jacked up, and I have tears in my eyes.
wab
Mod

I saw metallica a few times. Like 99-2001 ish. I'm strange in that I don't really care too much for them, which is a sin amongst my Gen X generation. But I don't really like Nirvana either. I was always more of an Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Pantera guy.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:52 pm I saw metallica a few times. Like 99-2001 ish. I'm strange in that I don't really care too much for them, which is a sin amongst my Gen X generation. But I don't really like Nirvana either. I was always more of an Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Pantera guy.
I wish I could've seen Metallica live at any point, really. They're all assholes/divas in their own ways, particularly Lars, but some days with a pot of coffee and a task at hand, Metallica takes me exactly where I need to be.

I didn't care for Nirvana ever either, but I've softened a bit on them. Their diehard fans are harmless, in my experience. The one thing that really bothers me about Nirvana is watching any of their live performances. Kurt Cobain can't keep consistent time worth a fuck, and it's interesting watching Dave Grohl struggle to adapt tempo to whatever nonsense Kurt's doing in front. "Something In The Way" and "Lithium" are good shit that I've vibed to lately.

I have no thoughts on AiC/Soundgarden/Pantera.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am seems like a lifetime ago since I've been a concert goer ... but I do remember a high school road trip to see Molly Hatchett, Charlie Daniels and Lynnyrd Skynerd ... that was notable as it was with my high school sweetheart that I thought I would be with forever ... that didn't work out ... but the concert was great

I’m not familiar with Charlie Daniels but damn Hatchett and Skynyrd must’ve been something.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm
wab wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:52 pm I saw metallica a few times. Like 99-2001 ish. I'm strange in that I don't really care too much for them, which is a sin amongst my Gen X generation. But I don't really like Nirvana either. I was always more of an Alice in Chains/Soundgarden/Pantera guy.
I wish I could've seen Metallica live at any point, really. They're all assholes/divas in their own ways, particularly Lars, but some days with a pot of coffee and a task at hand, Metallica takes me exactly where I need to be.

I didn't care for Nirvana ever either, but I've softened a bit on them. Their diehard fans are harmless, in my experience. The one thing that really bothers me about Nirvana is watching any of their live performances. Kurt Cobain can't keep consistent time worth a fuck, and it's interesting watching Dave Grohl struggle to adapt tempo to whatever nonsense Kurt's doing in front. "Something In The Way" and "Lithium" are good shit that I've vibed to lately.

Nirvana was transformative, but it ain't cos Kurt Cobain was an amazing technical musician..

I have loads of positive thoughts on Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. Pantera always left me meh. YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Alice in Chains was by far my favorite band to come out of Seattle. Layne Staley and the Jar of Flies album helped me through some rough times. Still one of my all time favorite all-time. I hated Nirvana. Cobain was a whiny little bitch. I've come to like Pearl Jam a lot. Chris Cornell's solo acoustic stuff is magical. It's pretty awesome. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's gone.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Saw Soundgarden open for Skid Row. What a shame. Skid Row sucked and Soundgarden tore it up. Had back stage passes. That was disappointing as well. No drugs or alcohol. The Roadies had came to the bowling alley I worked at the night before. We gave them free bowling and cheap beer for free tix and back stage passes. I guess the highlight of backstage was Sebastian Bach's wife, she was hot at that time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm
Alice in Chains was by far my favorite band to come out of Seattle. Layne Staley and the Jar of Flies album helped me through some rough times. Still one of my all time favorite all-time. I hated Nirvana. Cobain was a whiny little bitch. I've come to like Pearl Jam a lot. Chris Cornell's solo acoustic stuff is magical. It's pretty awesome. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that he's gone.
I highly recommend the Chris Cornell Deluxe Edition album on iTunes. There are a ton of songs on there.

Please listen to him doing an acoustical cover of One by Metallica.

Here.

So you mentioned music getting you through a tough time.

The guy who was the best man at my wedding had been married to his spouse (who also stood up at my wedding) for about 15 years. They knew each other for years longer. Over the course of six months she became a lesbian and divorced him. Left him for another woman.

The way she went about it was beyond punitive. It's a long story, but it involves locking bank accounts and stealing things out of the house. This song helped get me through that when I found out about everything happening. I was heart broken for my friend.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:04 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:34 pm

I highly recommend the Chris Cornell Deluxe Edition album on iTunes. There are a ton of songs on there.

Please listen to him doing an acoustical cover of One by Metallica.

Here.

So you mentioned music getting you through a tough time.

The guy who was the best man at my wedding had been married to his spouse (who also stood up at my wedding) for about 15 years. They knew each other for years longer. Over the course of six months she became a lesbian and divorced him. Left him for another woman.

The way she went about it was beyond punitive. It's a long story, but it involves locking bank accounts and stealing things out of the house. This song helped get me through that when I found out about everything happening. I was heart broken for my friend.

That song is in the rotation on my Chris Cornell Pandora station. Its fantastic.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:47 pm
Boris13c wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 am seems like a lifetime ago since I've been a concert goer ... but I do remember a high school road trip to see Molly Hatchett, Charlie Daniels and Lynnyrd Skynerd ... that was notable as it was with my high school sweetheart that I thought I would be with forever ... that didn't work out ... but the concert was great

I’m not familiar with Charlie Daniels but damn Hatchett and Skynyrd must’ve been something.
Here is a little Charlie, solo. He was probably more country that Skynyrd and Hatchett for sure. You have to dig deep, but his band could jam on some older tunes. He got political as he got older and his music kind of went down hill, IMO.

[video][/video]
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:20 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:47 pm

Here is a little Charlie, solo. He was probably more country that Skynyrd and Hatchett for sure. You have to dig deep, but his band could jam on some older tunes. He got political as he got older and his music kind of went down hill, IMO.

[video][/video]
Thanks!

Old school country. Very nice.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Here is a different side of CDB. They could jam as well. This is part 2 of the song. In concert this song is about 20 minutes long. The organ gives it an Allman Bros vibe (somewhat).

[video][/video]
Xee
Site Admin

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:58 pm

I've never watched/listen to any of Nirvana's live stuff except for their MTV Unplugged performance and maybe that's the odd duck in that they were awesome in it. Same goes for the Unplugged performances of Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots.

I guess my tastes are pretty varied when it comes to music. My earliest memories of music were listening to tapes and CDs played by an uncle, who had a huge collection, of bands like Foreigner, Roxy Music, Peter Gabriel, etc. Junior high and early high school I listened to everything that was popular on the radio which was mostly grunge, hip-hop, and trip-hop.

Towards the end of high school my older brother and my best friend got me into bands like Metallica, Fear Factory, Pantera, Sepultura, etc.and then when I graduated and started college I heard a song while driving to work that just mesmerized me. I later found out its name was Little Wing and was written by a guy unknown to me at that time called Jimi Hendrix which lead me to taking my first of many guitar lessons, growing my hair out, and taking a deep, long dive into classic rock and blues.

Towards the end of the 2000's I discovered another type of music called chillout/downbeat which is still what I mostly listen to these days.

Thing is, since then I've sort of been out of the loop when it comes to new music. So from around 2010 to now I really couldn't speak much to the musical trends and don't know what's popular. I don't like that at all since I don't want to follow the footsteps of my parents who had their favorite genre of music and disregarded everything else.

I just honestly don't know how to stay current given that I don't have much time to listen to music anymore and when I do, it's not like 30 years ago when you can just flip through some stations and get a feel for whats popular. The way music is distributed these days, I'm sure it's easy to miss a lot of great bands.

I wish there was bi-annual newsletter for us "older" folk that just highlighted what music was trending among the younger folk so I could at least give it a chance.
UOK
Site Admin

Xee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 pm Towards the end of the 2000's I discovered another type of music called chillout/downbeat which is still what I mostly listen to these days.

Thing is, since then I've sort of been out of the loop when it comes to new music. So from around 2010 to now I really couldn't speak much to the musical trends and don't know what's popular. I don't like that at all since I don't want to follow the footsteps of my parents who had their favorite genre of music and disregarded everything else.

I just honestly don't know how to stay current given that I don't have much time to listen to music anymore and when I do, it's not like 30 years ago when you can just flip through some stations and get a feel for whats popular. The way music is distributed these days, I'm sure it's easy to miss a lot of great bands.

I wish there was bi-annual newsletter for us "older" folk that just highlighted what music was trending among the younger folk so I could at least give it a chance.
Spotify I find to be fairly helpful with all that. There's a "Discover Weekly" that I check in quite a bit that has stuff based on what you've been listening to lately, and if you're wanting new tunes, there's always playlists created by Spotify or others that kind of wrap up genres for the year.

That said, as I've gotten older, it's less about bands and more about the "vibe," for lack of a better word, at least to me, and it sounds like you relate to this. When I'm at work trying to find the right zone, I want unintrusive, mildly stimulating music like Mallsoft, or if I'm trying to be creative, I'll throw on some selected classical music or cinematic scores.

There's a lot of things I don't like about Spotify, but they have it all, you just gotta plunge into the thicket.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 pm Thing is, since then I've sort of been out of the loop when it comes to new music. So from around 2010 to now I really couldn't speak much to the musical trends and don't know what's popular. I don't like that at all since I don't want to follow the footsteps of my parents who had their favorite genre of music and disregarded everything else.

You're just getting old buddy! It's a natural evolution every generation goes through.

Over here the BBC used to broadcast a weekly show called 'Top of the Pops', which was the world's longest running music show. You can find loads of videos from it on YouTube. It started way back in the mid sixties and ended in the mid 2000s, except for a Christmas Day special that runs down the hits from the last year. It used to be 30 minutes long, show performances of half a dozen songs from the current chart (usually mimed) and include a countdown of the top 30, later top 40, best sellers that week. It always ended with the current number one.

The acts used to get paid a pittance to appear, but it was such a massive promotional boon that most did. In the days before music videos, if the act wasn't available to perform they had an all-female dance troupe prance about to the song! They also introduced a 'breakers' section where they'd play a few short segments of new releases so you'd get a flavour of them. It was great because investing a half of your time a week meant you kept up-to-date on current trends and every so often you'd hear a new band or singer that you really liked.

Like a lot of BBC programmes, many episodes from the '60s and '70s are missing from the archives and they're much sought after. Individual performances continue to crop up from time-to-time. They still show repeats on BBC4, although a lot of episodes are heavily edited to remove certain presenters and performers who were subsequently discovered to be sex offenders! The most notorious is Jimmy Saville who was utterly depraved. Unfortunately his crimes didn't become public until after he died despite it apparently being an open secret in the corridors of the BBC that he was as dodgy as hell.

Anyway, I'm a little surprised the BBC haven't revived Top of the Pops. Maybe current performers wouldn't be bothered about it, but back in the day all the big names appeared and it was instrumental to the success of many of them.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have watched some Top Of The Pops videos.

The US has had shows similar. American Bandstand for pop music in the 60s thru the early 80s I believe. Soul Train for the RB hits/performers. Midnight Special was awesome. They covered every genre of music. That was my favorite as it leaned more to the rock music.

Don Kirshner's Rock Concert on cable channels.

In Concert ran late nights on ABC I believe.

Night Flight.

Xee, I am stuck on older music. I listen to a lot of 70s music. All the genres. To me that was the best decade for music. The rock bands at the time, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Kansas to name a few, are still around. I liked the pop music, the R&B, hell I like some disco.

The only new stuff I listen is new blues. As far as mainstream performers, can't say I could tell you who they are.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A current music show from the BBC that you might like to check out is 'Later... with Jools Holland', which has been running on BBC2 since the early '90s. Each episode features an eclectic mix of musicians and bands from around the world from big name acts to those you've never heard of all performing live. There have been some amazing performances on it over the years, many of which you can find on YouTube.

Holland was originally a member of the band Squeeze and is a brilliant pianist. He joins in on some of the performances and chats with some of the acts too. Every year he presents his hootenanny on BBC2 to see in the New Year, which is essentially an extended version of 'Later'.

Here's a sample featuring Dave Gilmour working his magic on 'I Put A Spell On You' with Mica Paris and Jools Holland:

And here's an even better version with the three of them that I've just stumbled across when I was looking for the 'Later' performance: