Political Threads: No Dice.

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Butkus1970
Rookie

Atkins&Rebel wrote:I'm glad for this; I despise politics. Too often if 'you' want to discuss politics, what 'you're' really saying is that you want to jam 'your' slanted political opinion down someone else's throat. There is no discussion. There is no expectation of compromise. There is only whether or not 'your' side is victorious in the political scrum, and the if 'you' lose, how that can be spun to look the least damaging while at the same time finding some basis to blame the other side for being amoral.
Excellent post.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

Something my mom said that stuck with me, "Never talk religion or politics with people you want to stay friends with."
IE
Hall of Famer

I very rarely wander outside of Halas Hall. So just saw this recently.

A little extra on the history here:
- wab I agree I do that to enjoy the error as well.
- that old site had a lot of good folks - vast majority - but the guy that owned the site was a bad guy. Back in the day I looked around a bit and found posts from him on a message board called "the glory of war" and the context was war is glorious and you get to kill people who aren't like you. I *could* be wrong, and it could have been someone different. But it would have to be someone with the exact name, nickname, political bent, and exact same posting quirks that are like virtual fingerprints.
- There was a lot of political commentary back then that doesn't belong on a fan site. But instead of moderating it the owner inflamed everything. You can thank gaba and I mainly for confronting (ok - "provoking" is fair... especially if you know gaba lol) the douchebag and exposing what a piece of crap he was/is... which resulted in the place blowing up in the course of just a few days in late '08. I remember getting a PM from pagan and UOK saying they were creating a new site as a lifeboat.

- Also... a lot of folks here with the abbreviated nicknames... a lot of that's because of my past laziness in typing. I'll take the credit. Now you don't have to type about orange cleats or reference an obscure metal song every time you want to chat with someone. Or type Grossman's name. Or Illinoiseric. LOL :)

- Also also... what ever happened to Topless Val? And Noots? Or Imprint? And pagan where are you? We're friends on FB and he suggested I come back after being gone several years. Then HE disappeared. :(
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
UOK
Site Admin

IE wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:28 am I very rarely wander outside of Halas Hall. So just saw this recently.

- that old site had a lot of good folks - vast majority - but the guy that owned the site was a bad guy. Back in the day I looked around a bit and found posts from him on a message board called "the glory of war" and the context was war is glorious and you get to kill people who aren't like you. I *could* be wrong, and it could have been someone different. But it would have to be someone with the exact name, nickname, political bent, and exact same posting quirks that are like virtual fingerprints.
- There was a lot of political commentary back then that doesn't belong on a fan site. But instead of moderating it the owner inflamed everything. You can thank gaba and I mainly for confronting (ok - "provoking" is fair... especially if you know gaba lol) the douchebag and exposing what a piece of crap he was/is... which resulted in the place blowing up in the course of just a few days in late '08. I remember getting a PM from pagan and UOK saying they were creating a new site as a lifeboat.

- Also... a lot of folks here with the abbreviated nicknames... a lot of that's because of my past laziness in typing. I'll take the credit. Now you don't have to type about orange cleats or reference an obscure metal song every time you want to chat with someone. Or type Grossman's name. Or Illinoiseric. LOL :)

- Also also... what ever happened to Topless Val? And Noots? Or Imprint? And pagan where are you? We're friends on FB and he suggested I come back after being gone several years. Then HE disappeared. :(
It's unreal how fast it went to hell. The owner, live and in real time, lost his shit and essentially declared that if you didn't agree with his politics that you would be banned. It was messed up.

Not sure what happened to Topless Val, but @Boris13c may know. IIRC she just kinda resumed living life. Noots was still posting Bears stuff as recently as a couple years ago, if my history is right, but he didn't seem comfortable posting here much at all, so I didn't push the matter.

Pagan's around, as far as I know. More of a lurker these days, but still good people. Imprint became @RING4CHI, at least I thought (my memory sucks).
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:35 am
IE wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:28 am I very rarely wander outside of Halas Hall. So just saw this recently.

It's unreal how fast it went to hell. The owner, live and in real time, lost his shit and essentially declared that if you didn't agree with his politics that you would be banned. It was messed up.

Not sure what happened to Topless Val, but @Boris13c may know. IIRC she just kinda resumed living life. Noots was still posting Bears stuff as recently as a couple years ago, if my history is right, but he didn't seem comfortable posting here much at all, so I didn't push the matter.

Pagan's around, as far as I know. More of a lurker these days, but still good people. Imprint became @RING4CHI, at least I thought (my memory sucks).
It really did go to shit in a heartbeat. From him calling G08 a terrorist to wishing death on my (at the time) unborn daughter, to literally threatening to bash my head in with a baseball bat. He absolutely lost his m@Boris13c

Also. I miss Gaba around these parts.

I know some of us OG folks get at each other from time to time, but I really am thankful for this place and for all of those other OG folks that made their way here.
IE
Hall of Famer

Yeah it is really good. So thanks to you all.

I forgot about some of that craziness.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that board was so much fun for a very long time ... remember the New Orleans cop (or claimed to be a cop) who decided to get me into an insult exchange? she was pissed about the idiot with the Katrina sign at Soldier Field and somehow thought I was to blame ... that didn't end so well for her but I had fun ... pretty sure I posted her e-mails and my responses on the board for all to enjoy

it was a huge disappointment in how it all came to an end with the political shit

as for Topless Val, we kept in touch for a short while with e-mail exchanges but then one day her e-mail address was no more
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Ormazd
MVP

I miss Gaba. Such a funny dude.
UOK
Site Admin

Gaba's still living his life and doing his thing. Seems to be in a happy place.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I wasn’t on the old board nearly as long as others but the end was truly a colossal shit storm. He even called me a terrorist/racist at one point because of a disagreement on the direction of the bears at the time.

A few years later the site was gone, as I use to creep over there a bit after the exodus.

So glad for this place, the job the mods do and the lack of politics.
docc
Head Coach

Political and Religious..OK?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm glad we don't discuss politics here. Besides, most people I've talked to can't stand my political views or misinterpret them.

During this Summer Of Mitching, I'm glad that we've kept the thread about the Bears potential move clean at least. I was a little worried about that one. So far so good. Thank you everybody. I mean that.

But yeah no politics here. Football, videogames, steaks, whatever, just none of that.
dave99
Assistant Coach

A little (very odd) Chicago history
I was born and raised there and had no idea

The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Wounded Bear
MVP

I'm sorry. I disagree.

I've been looking for years to find a forum where I can rip into Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore. Those motherfuckers!

But I digress...
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:02 pm I'm sorry. I disagree.

I've been looking for years to find a forum where I can rip into Zachary Taylor and Millard Fillmore. Those motherfuckers!
You should try taylorandfillmorefuckedtheirmothers.com

Kind of crowded, but still a good board.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Wounded Bear
MVP

See, Mori gets me!
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson