current hurricanes are no joke

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Irma just ravaged the Caribbean as a Category 5 and looks to be hitting Miami dead on come Saturday as a Category 4

to make matters worse, Jose is now a Category 4 and its early track looks to be following on the heels of Irma

the wild card in all of this is Katia, currently a Category 2 off the coast of Mexico ... early projections had it simply hugging the coast of Mexico and then heading inland and dissipating ... but since the path of Irma is now more west than originally predicted, the National Hurricane Center is warning it could be pulled into the Gulf and north by the trough created by Irma

these are 3 dangerous storms in a very small space, and worst case scenario has parts of southern Florida ending up uninhabitable ... the Florida Keys will be seeing 20 foot storm surges, which along with the Category 4 winds, could cause damage beyond belief

from a scientific standpoint, this is a unique situation with so much data worthy of study ... from a human perspective, this could be the most devastating storm aftermath in our modern lifetimes ... and hurricane season is only just beginning

thoughts and best wishes to those in the impacted areas
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

though there is flooding and damage throughout Florida and the Keys, things were not nearly as bad as feared

good news for those who are now dealing with the aftermath as they are alive to do so ... power issues will continue through the week, hampering things and delaying the return of many who evacuated

Hurricane Jose is not on path to hit Florida, instead turning north towards the coastal areas of the Carolinas

long article but worth a read :

Irma’s lessons for next time — and there will be a next time
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Very bad year season for hurricanes, indeed. As someone planted firmly in the ass of the midwest, I rarely deal with anything of this magnitude, even tornadoes, but I was raised with a tremendous respect for the weather.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My son and I are looking up some data regarding storms...here's one site with storm data:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/top10.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Virgin Islands and Florida Keys are definitely a mess ... Barbuda and other smaller islands many of us don't even think about are destroyed

mainland Florida dodged a bullet, but Irma wiped out a lot of things before it got there ... stories and videos here (the video from the space station is interesting) :

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/13/us/hurric ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

6 dead at South Florida nursing home as state grapples with heat and outages after Irma
Police opened a criminal investigation Wednesday into the deaths of at least six people at a South Florida nursing home that apparently was without air conditioning amid ongoing power outages from Hurricane Irma, according to local officials.

Three people died at the facility in Hollywood, Fla., and three others were pronounced dead after being taken to a hospital, said officials in the city between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Authorities evacuated more than 100 other people from the facility, the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, including bringing some to nearby hospitals.

Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief said it was not immediately clear what caused the deaths at the nursing home, which is believed to have lost air conditioning after the storm.

"We're conducting a criminal investigation into the deaths that occurred here," Tomas Sanchez, the Hollywood police chief, said at a news briefing Wednesday. "It's a sad event."

Sanchez said that officials believe the situation at the nursing home "may be related to the loss of power" caused by Irma, but said they were not ruling anything out. He declined to say whether the electricity was entirely out at the facility or if only the air conditioning was out, saying that was still under investigation.

The rehabilitation center is located across the street from Memorial Regional Hospital, the flagship facility of the Memorial Healthcare System and one of the largest hospitals in the state. An official from Memorial said that the healthcare network was helping with evacuating people from the rehabilitation center, which is not part of the Memorial system, and will take some to their other hospitals in the region.

The facility's administrator did not return messages left by The Washington Post.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hurricane Irma: No power, blocked roads add to frustrations in Florida
(CNN)Days after Hurricane Irma tore through Florida and left millions without power, residents are slowly returning to find ruins in some of the hardest-hit neighborhoods.

Recovery is only getting started, and some areas remain flooded. Utility companies are working to restore power to the battered Florida Keys as frustrated evacuees emerge from shelters ready to go home.

About 2.7 million utility customers are still without power in the state Thursday, officials said. Parts of central and southern Florida will be a sweltering 90 degrees for several days, with humidity making it feel like the mid-90s.
George Carlin