Creepy News - When you die you know you're dead

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

When you die you know you're dead: Major study shows mind still works after the body shows no sign of life
Death just became even more scary: scientists say people are aware they’re dead because their consciousness continues to work after the body has stopped showing signs of life.

That means that, theoretically, someone may even hear their own death being announced by medics.

The claim was made by Dr Sam Parnia, director of critical care and resuscitation research at NYU Langone School of Medicine in New York City.

He and his team are looking at people who suffered cardiac arrest, technically died, but were later revived. It’s the largest study of its type ever carried out. Some of those studied say they had awareness of full conversations and seeing things that were going on around them, even after they were pronounced dead. These accounts were then verified by the medical and nursing staff who were present at the time.

Death is defined as the point at which the heart no longer beats, and blood flow to the brain is cut off. Dr Sam Parnia said: “Technically, that's how you get the time of death – it's all based on the moment when the heart stops.

“Once that happens, blood no longer circulates to the brain, which means brain function halts almost instantaneously. “You lose all your brain stem reflexes – your gag reflex, your pupil reflex, all that is gone.”

However, there’s evidence to suggest that there’s a burst of brain energy as someone dies.

In 2013 researchers at the University of Michigan looked at the electrical signals inside the brains of nine anaesthetised rats having an induced heart attack.

They saw activity patterns which are linked to a “hyper-alerted state” in the brief period after clinical death.
so you're on the medical table ... and you can hear the medical team call it and note your time of death ... so then you're own brain then says :

:shock:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

You ever unplug a cord that has an indicator light on it from a wall? You know how that light stays on for a bit before it finally dies out? That's basically your brain. The stored electricity in your body takes a few seconds to fade. Whether you know what's going on in that period of time is a different story.
Wounded Bear
MVP

The funny thing is I have a buddy who died and came back to life after a few minutes and he said he didn't see or hear a thing. He was telling me, "it's all bullshit..."

With that said, I don't disbelieve the people who say they do have out of body experiences. Like the article above, they recount with accuracy what the doctors, nurses, paramedics said after they supposedly passed, so there's something to it.

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but prior to going to sleep your brain sends out a strong electrical impulse to the body that usually results in your arm or leg jerking slightly. I was told that is your brain sending out a last shot of electricity because, although you're just going to sleep, your brain interprets it as you dying, so it tries to shock you back to life. That may be the residual electricity that we're talking about that allows people to hear what's happening after they pass, but that doesn't explain people who say they had an out of body experience and saw what happened after they briefly died (again verified by doctors, nurses, or paramedics at the scene).

Hopefully science catches up with these mysteries of life because I would really like to know.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I believe your brain releases a shot of DMT. DMT is a drug that causes hallucinations. I have heard your brain does this to put you in an altered state to accept fate. Like a gazelle not fighting back as the lion clamps down. It fought, and lost. Still breathing but succumbed to die.

This could be a part of some people's near death experiences. Having never taken a hallucinogen I can only go off others interpretation. However people suggest an after life or alternate reality. When my professional career is over I would like to experience it, but probably won't.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I know 2 people who where brought back. One said he had no experience, the other remembered everything. Like freaky everything.
G08
Hall of Famer

I remember reading that once you are declared dead, a researcher found consistent evidence that the brain is still active for about 7 minutes and he found (I forget if this was through someone who was revived) out that your brain flashes images to you (perhaps in some random order) that winds up being a review of prominent moments in their life.

The scientist in me is curious as fuck as to how that would work when an individual suffers from dementia, etc.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

This is interesting to me. I was working about 6 weeks ago and felt dehydrated and lightheaded. Been having these problems quite often over the years. But this day in particular I just felt like passing out. I ended up taking a knee and then laying on the ground. The guys I was working with came over to help me out, I kept telling them I just needed water and I'd be fine. I heard one of the guys call 911, shortly after I began to vomit. Everything was a daze to me from that point, I remember seeing what was going on and heard everything going on around me. I even remember getting shocked a few times from the defibrillator. They told me I died.

It all still seems weird to me. I really can't grasp it BC I swear I remember so much of what was going on. Was my eyes and ears still functioning, obviously my brain also? Even though they said my heart stopped? I never had some kind of outer body stuff. Just felt like going to sleep. Kinda when your sleeping and you hear noises while you sleep. I ended up getting transported to hospital after.

I ended up having arrhythmia which makes your heart go out of sync. I was lucky, they called 911 asap and the police came much quicker (I actually remember the cop getting there so quick) than the meat wagon (they said that took forever) and the cop is the one that brought me back. Anyway, I was in the hospital for a week and they ended up putting a defibrillator into my chest. It kinda freaks me out having some machine in me but whatever.

I have always been very active and am in pretty good shape. The whole thing is strange.

But the thing I can say, I did HEAR everything....
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

DAMN 46!! Hope you are doing alright man. That is some serious shit right there.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:DAMN 46!! Hope you are doing alright man. That is some serious shit right there.

yeah ... I second the well wishes ... that sounds like it was some truly scary stuff
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:This is interesting to me. I was working about 6 weeks ago and felt dehydrated and lightheaded. Been having these problems quite often over the years. But this day in particular I just felt like passing out. I ended up taking a knee and then laying on the ground. The guys I was working with came over to help me out, I kept telling them I just needed water and I'd be fine. I heard one of the guys call 911, shortly after I began to vomit. Everything was a daze to me from that point, I remember seeing what was going on and heard everything going on around me. I even remember getting shocked a few times from the defibrillator. They told me I died.

It all still seems weird to me. I really can't grasp it BC I swear I remember so much of what was going on. Was my eyes and ears still functioning, obviously my brain also? Even though they said my heart stopped? I never had some kind of outer body stuff. Just felt like going to sleep. Kinda when your sleeping and you hear noises while you sleep. I ended up getting transported to hospital after.

I ended up having arrhythmia which makes your heart go out of sync. I was lucky, they called 911 asap and the police came much quicker (I actually remember the cop getting there so quick) than the meat wagon (they said that took forever) and the cop is the one that brought me back. Anyway, I was in the hospital for a week and they ended up putting a defibrillator into my chest. It kinda freaks me out having some machine in me but whatever.

I have always been very active and am in pretty good shape. The whole thing is strange.

But the thing I can say, I did HEAR everything....
Dude WHAT!? I'm glad you're okay buddy!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Thanks guys,

Yeah I'm fine now. In fact it just seems surreal BC I don't feel like I need a defibrillator, but it's virtually unnoticeable. My family and friends keep telling me it's good I got it. Think I'm in denial about the whole thing. Just a bizarre thing, I am 40 now but that's still young to have heart problem plus I have always been in good health. Still am otherwise.

What I do know, you never know how or when something can happen. So for all of you guys, just say F it and go deep!

Oh, BTW.... they said there was only a 6% chance of me living. That's crazy weird to me, I'm not good enough to die. Lol