Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) dead at 87

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Actor Jim Nabors dies in Hawaii at age 87
HONOLULU (WPVI) --Jim Nabors, who played Gomer Pyle on TV's "The Andy Griffith Show," has died at 87, husband says.

Nabors died peacefully at his home in Hawaii on Thursday with his husband, Stan Cadwallader, at his side. He was 87.

Cadwallader says Nabors' health had been declining for the past year. His immune system also was suppressed after he underwent a liver transplant about 20 years ago.

Nabors became an instant success when he joined "The Andy Griffith Show" in the early 1960s.

The character of Gomer Pyle, the unworldly, lovable gas pumper who would exclaim "Gollllll-ly!" proved so popular that in 1964 CBS starred him in "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C."

Nabors' operatic voice also made him a favorite in Las Vegas and other showplaces.

RIP Gomer
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My favorite after school show in grade school. Hell, one year for Lent I "tried" to give it up. I cheated. I sat in the kitchen doing homework, I could stand up and look into the dining room mirror which showed the reflection of the TV. Yea pretty sad all the way around. Dude could sing his ass off as well.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Didn't particularly care for that show, but loved him and Goober on The Andy Griffith Show. One of the few shows me and my dad would sit down and watch over and over again over the years.

RIP Jim Nabors.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson