Major shakeup coming to WSCR

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Goff got on my bad side. I didn't dislike him, but he talks over everybody, and all he wants to talk about is NBA hoops. He's kind of a pretentious dickhead, too, even in comparison to Bernstein.
LacertineForest
MVP

UOK wrote:Goff got on my bad side. I didn't dislike him, but he talks over everybody, and all he wants to talk about is NBA hoops. He's kind of a pretentious dickhead, too, even in comparison to Bernstein.
Definitely noticed that about Goff (don't know anyone wouldn't) - sometimes Bernstein or someone else would be trying to make a point or tell a story and he'd just keep interrupting and distracting the conversation until I'm either yelling "shut up" at my radio or changing the station altogether. I did generally enjoy Goff's humor, and it was nice having a little more diversity with the hosts. I have liked what I've heard of Julie Dicaro - wouldn't mind seeing her get a larger role.

Haven't really heard much of either McNeil or Parkins, but I'll be tuning in on my drive home from work. It's a pretty big shakeup, for sure.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I like Dicaro as well. She does pretty well at night. Something about her voice also.

Goff, I liked better as a part-timer years ago.

Bernstein I can do without.

I don't listen much from May thru August. Mainly listen in fall and winter for Bears and Hawks shit. Once NFL draft talk is done, I'm gone for awhile.
UOK
Site Admin

I do not like Julie's radio chops whatsoever. She can barely read copy.

Plus she's another who takes a cue from Bernstein's "DeadSpin Journalism" methodology, and too often likes to politicize sports talk radio escapism.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote:I do not like Julie's radio chops whatsoever. She can barely read copy.

Plus she's another who takes a cue from Bernstein's "DeadSpin Journalism" methodology, and too often likes to politicize sports talk radio escapism.
I disagree.
I like DiCaro.

But that's why there are so many different flavors of ice cream, you know? :toast:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

I'm encouraged to hear so many who don't like Bernstein. Bright guy, but just insufferable when it came to callers at times. I would listen to he an Boers sometimes, but often would turn them off. Goff wasn't nearly as bad as Boers, but he does have that air of pretentiousness.

And I know that McNeil is quite the imperfect human, but that's what makes me like him so much. He just oozes "regular guy" to me. I missed him and am glad to have him back for however long it happens to be. I haven't heard much of Parkins, but I'm OK with he and McNeil so far.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:I'm encouraged to hear so many who don't like Bernstein. Bright guy, but just insufferable when it came to callers at times.
He is occasionally, but when it comes to the total package, he's far and away the best thing they've got going there, IMO.

"Regular guy" doesn't do anything for me. I want to listen to an intelligent expert and an entertainer.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

Never understood the appeal of Mac. I think people like him because he talks and thinks like the average Chicago Bob who you met through your kids' baseball league and whom you invite over to play cards and smoke cigars in the garage. He's got wit and knowledge about some things, sure, but is otherwise cynical and laughingly dismissive of a lot of things. He's a charming dopey blue collar dude with a raspy voice and is friendly to a fault.

I don't know much of anything about him on a personal level, beyond what obvious pitfalls he's had with demons. I think him being paired with Parkins is a good thing, however. How long it lasts? Not likely long. That's just how Mac is.

Spiegel is a good host who I feel like held the midday post down very well. Bernstein and Abbatacola would've been the most natural progression for the afternoon show after Terry retired. Going with Jason was a massive misstep that cost Jason his job and Bernstein his slot. Not sure whose to blame for it, but now we're saddled with the rather unremarkable McKnight. Their show so far has been beyond forgettable.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Since the shakeup I have listened far less than usual. Some of that that is due to their broadcasts of Cub games and parts are due to it being baseball season. I will turn it on and if it is not currently Bears or football related, I turn it off. I might have it on at lunch for my quick ride home, so I cannot comment on Bernsy or McKnight. McNeil has missed some time due to illness so have not caught much of that team.

Parkins is oK. I would rather listen to Abbatacola or Zawaski.

Hell, Bring Jiggs back.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote:
Mikefive wrote:I'm encouraged to hear so many who don't like Bernstein. Bright guy, but just insufferable when it came to callers at times.
He is occasionally, but when it comes to the total package, he's far and away the best thing they've got going there, IMO.

"Regular guy" doesn't do anything for me. I want to listen to an intelligent expert and an entertainer.
I'm in this camp, FWIW.

Haven't listened since the shake-up.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: