Flat-Earthers Explain Why We Don't Fall Off Planet's Edge

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Flat-Earthers Explain Why We Don't Fall Off the Edge of Our Planet, and It Involves Pac-Man
More than 200 flat-Earth enthusiasts descended on West Midlands, England, this past weekend to "engage freely in deep and meaningful discussions," according to the Flat Earth Convention UK.

The Earth's glorious globular-ness was proved more than 2,000 years ago by the ancient Greeks, but there's a small subset of people who think the planet is a disk despite enjoying the downward pull of gravity that could only result from living on a sphere.

At this conference, they were presenting their scientific evidence for such a disk. One of the perhaps more interesting pieces of evidence stated for why, if the planet is a flat disk, do planes not fall off its edge, came from speaker Darren Nesbit — who referred to the "Pac-Man effect," according to the science news website Physics-Astronomy.org. When a plane, or other object, reaches the edge of the horizon, as Pac-Man reaches the edge of the screen, that body will just teleport from one side of the planet to the other, a la Pac-Man entering the other side of the screen.

According to the group that put on the convention, the gathering also included some "alternative viewpoints." (You think?)

"In conjunction with a select number of well-known flat-earth speakers, we have also provided some alternative viewpoints. We truly hope that new friendships are forged, ideas and experiments are brain stormed and future actions are set in motion," they state on their website.
wonder if the guy whose failed rocket launches that were to prove the earth was flat was there to offer up his side to things?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
makaur
Pro Bowler

I have come to the conclusion in life that there are only three types of people in this world.

1) Smart people
2) Stupid people
3) People...who could be either smart or stupid...have only one intention in life, and that is to take advantage of stupid people for some purpose (financial gain, recruitment to a cult-like society, or some kind of crime). An ulterior motive.

If someone believes that the earth is flat, that person cannot possibly be smart. If someone is trying to recruit others into believing that the earth is flat...that person does not have “alternative viewpoints,” that person has an ulterior motive.
Z Bear
MVP

Unfortunately it seems there are more and more 2s everywhere I look lately.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

makaur wrote:I have come to the conclusion in life that there are only three types of people in this world.

1) Smart people
2) Stupid people
3) People...who could be either smart or stupid...have only one intention in life, and that is to take advantage of stupid people for some purpose (financial gain, recruitment to a cult-like society, or some kind of crime). An ulterior motive.

If someone believes that the earth is flat, that person cannot possibly be smart. If someone is trying to recruit others into believing that the earth is flat...that person does not have “alternative viewpoints,” that person has an ulterior motive.

:thumbsup:
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote:Unfortunately it seems there are more and more 2s everywhere I look lately.

and they are breeding profusely

if you haven't seen the movie Idiocracy, you should
George Carlin
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Pac-Man effect. LMAO. That's a new one for me.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Flat earth is literally the 2nd best conspiracy theory out there. The Magellan effect is the best.

I actually don't think some flat earthers are dumb. I think it's more of an educational endeavor for them. How to prove to people the complete opposite of truth.

Like if I where to try and prove the earth was flat I would have to work hard to prove to some one that I was right. Some of their videos while wrong are fairly intelligent.
makaur
Pro Bowler

mmmc_35 wrote:Flat earth is literally the 2nd best conspiracy theory out there. The Magellan effect is the best.

I actually don't think some flat earthers are dumb. I think it's more of an educational endeavor for them. How to prove to people the complete opposite of truth.

Like if I where to try and prove the earth was flat I would have to work hard to prove to some one that I was right. Some of their videos while wrong are fairly intelligent.
Reread what I wrote.

The people who actually believe that the earth is flat...are stupid.

The others who put together the videos and testimonials to “prove” that the earth is flat...they fall under #3.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

That wasn't directed at you I was saying my opinion.
makaur
Pro Bowler

mmmc_35 wrote:That wasn't directed at you I was saying my opinion.
Wasn’t taken that way.

I was just pointing out that, although very well done I’m sure, the videos and stuff that are out there...I’m quite positive that whoever put those together don’t really believe that the earth is flat. I’m sure they are trying to fill their pockets from the idiots who do believe it though.

I could give even better examples of smart people who take advantage of idiots for their own profit but we are not allowed to talk politics on here.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think those types of them just enjoy playing the devils advocate. I can't see much money being spent on the message.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

People are inherently tribal in nature. There are any number of reasons why people ascribe to this tribe or that. But it is efficient behavior. Nobody has time to answer every question by seeking out and absorbing every piece of information available about it. It would take us weeks or months to make any decision. So people turn to sources they trust and accept what they say as truth.

And when people actually attempt to answer a question, they naturally do so with their gut not their brain and reach out to sources that work toward that end if possible. If they find a source that agrees with their gut, their intellect needs one reason to buy it to accept it as fact. If they find a source that disagrees with their gut, their mind looks for one reason NOT to believe it to dismiss it. And when I say "one reason" that reason may not be logically valid.

For these reasons, people believe all kinds of crazy things.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.