Chord Cutting

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I took the plunge today and cut the chord with Comcast cable.

The cable bill was out of control. I had basic plus HBO, but I had a lot of DVRs. Never used HBO except for Game of Thrones. Comcast nickels and dimes you over everything. The last straw was when they charged me $15 to send a replacement DVR when one I had that was 1 month old wouldn't work consistently.

I'll be using Netflix, Prime Video, and Hulu plus Live TV for shows and movies. I will still get Bears games on normal channels. I signed up with Hulu last weekend and have been trying that out for the past week and it is great. I can get HBO temporarily when Game of Thrones comes back.

All told I'm saving $80 / month. It would've been $100, but I treated myself to upgrading the internet speed with part of the savings.

Have any of you done this?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

yep, doing the exact same here.
UOK
Site Admin

I busted my guitar out this morning and cut a few chords myself.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I see what you did there. I also see my misspelling. Lol. :)
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Download Showbox and you wouldn't need any of those as long as have WiFi and Chromecast
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Good for you. I have wanted to do this for some time, but my wife can't live without her on demand. The good news for me is that Mrs. Five is OCD about spending money, so it kills her to have to pay the Comcast bill. I have to call them every 2 years and ask for "customer retention" to get back on the $99 triple play plan at the lowest cost. I keep leaning on her, but she won't move. Yet.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
wab
Mod

I want to. But I’m still not ready. If only because of football. I can’t get anything to stream reliably and I didn’t buy an ultra HD for nothing.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I want to. But I’m still not ready. If only because of football. I can’t get anything to stream reliably and I didn’t buy an ultra HD for nothing.
If you want to, start with an internet speed test of your connection. You can find a bunch of sites via Google that'll do this. If you notice a big difference between your actual speed and the speed you're paying for then check the age and quality of your router along with the modem.

I'm using Hulu with Live TV and I'm sure there are other solutions, but you can get live football without cable TV.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Another way to make your internet faster is to use OpenDNS to eliminate a lot of crapware sites from your DNS. A security expert at my company recommended it to me and I noticed immediately better response. Go to opendns, choose the personal option and change the DNS settings on your PC. I bet UOK would have something to say about it. :-P
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I got rid of Direct TV last year. I am using Sling TV and love it. I have have netflix as well. I get these off of Roku. Being in central IL I get the Bears games on free TV. I still have NBCSports Chicago, so get Chicago sports and Blackhawks. I am saving about $85 a month from Direct.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:I busted my guitar out this morning and cut a few chords myself.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin