Billy F Gibbons

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Had the pleasure of seeing Gibbons in concert last Thurs night in St Louis at the Pageant. A couple of lifelong buddies and I are huge ZZ Top fans and had alway talked about him needing to tour on his own so he could get down, dirty and bluesy. He didn't disappoint. Matt Sorum, ex-Guns N Roses and Velvet Revolver drummer was pounding the skins on this tour. He was pretty damn awesome.

AFter the concert we were having a drink in the adjoining bar, The Halo Bar. Lo and behold during that time Gibbons and Sorum walk in and spend a good deal of time in the bar. Sorum sat with us and talked for about an hour. Gibbons came over on 2 separate occasions and discussed guitars and why they are not touring with a bassist.

Big highlight of my life as Gibbons is probably my favorite musician. Both dudes down to earth. There was probably only 15 peeps in the bar and no one really was stupid with either.

Pics below in next post.
Last edited by Otis Day on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Sounds fun, although ZZTop never appealed to me at all.
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
So why aren't they using a bassist?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Instead of me attempting to explain it, here is the link to the pickups on the guitars. A little too technical for me.

https://www.alittlethunder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chatting with Matt Sorum and the Rev, Billy Gibbons (me of course on the right in light blue)

My buds and Matt Sorum

G08
Hall of Famer

Dude that's fucking awesome, that you got to chill with them is the icing on the cake!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

ZZ kind of lost me with the Eliminator album. Sharp Dressed Man, Legs.........not a fan. Their early shit, up to Deguello is what we are big fans of. The early stuff way more bluesy than the newer stuff. When he did Blue Jean Blues, we flipped out. Good slow Blues jam. His new solo stuff is killer as well, if you like blues.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am a ZZ Top fan, and unlike you, I did like the Eliminator album ... yes it was different that their earlier stuff, but isn't that the point? diversify a bit?

I've seen them a few times, but never had the luxury of up close and personal time like you had
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I listened to it (Eliminator) at the time, bought it like I have most of their CDs/Albums but over time don't appreciate it as much as the old stuff. They kind of went the way of pop rock, tailored it to MTV, made millions. Good for them, nice retirement effort. Many bands did the same thing back in the mid 80s (J Geils for another).

Recycler is even worse than Eliminator.
wab
Mod

My very first concert was ZZ Top during the Eliminator tour. I was 5.

They had that car on stage if I remember correctly.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn wab starting young. Was that with your parents? I saw a couple with a young kid at this show.

I saw ZZ 5x. I will admit the last time I saw them I said never again. With encore they only played 1 hr 20 min. That was awful. All the material they at that point, they should have easily played 2 hrs if not more.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:Damn wab starting young. Was that with your parents? I saw a couple with a young kid at this show.

I saw ZZ 5x. I will admit the last time I saw them I said never again. With encore they only played 1 hr 20 min. That was awful. All the material they at that point, they should have easily played 2 hrs if not more.
My older brother was/is a huge fan and really wanted to go. They took him, and I was just sort of along for the ride. I remember having giant ear pro on that my dad used at work.