Log Cabin Kits

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Shot in the dark...anyone have a log cabin built from a kit company?

I'm contemplating a new build project, being my own General Contractor, but just wondering if there are headaches that I can't even imagine. I'm Ok with the general knowledge of building and permits, but don't know enough about the specifics of a log cabin build to know if I'd be in over my head.

I'd likely start with a weather-tight shell package then sub out interior construction. The cost savings is minimal, but with only 1 layer of material (instead of studs, OSB/plywood, Siding, insulation, drywall and paint), the labor savings should be significant.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

My dad did. I think he got his through Southland Log Homes. It's not very big...maybe 1200 sq feet...but he said it was easy-peasy. He's an engineer though...
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote:My dad did. I think he got his through Southland Log Homes. It's not very big...maybe 1200 sq feet...but he said it was easy-peasy. He's an engineer though...
That's not very big? That's the size of my house!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

No I have seen them. Friend of mine made one. I want to build one myself one day. If you work construction though I don't think it would be out of your abilities. I think the kits are fairly simplistic, but you may have to rework some joints to fit.

Malik do you live in a cracker jack box?
malk
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:No I have seen them. Friend of mine made one. I want to build one myself one day. If you work construction though I don't think it would be out of your abilities. I think the kits are fairly simplistic, but you may have to rework some joints to fit.

Malik do you live in a cracker jack box?
We have small houses over here, 1200 square feet would be well over average!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)