Nebraska farmer amputates leg with pocket knife

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Nebraska farmer amputates leg with pocket knife after it's caught in machinery
A Nebraska farmer made a life-saving decision last month when he used a 3-inch pocket knife to sever his own leg after it got caught in farming machinery.

Kurt Kaser, 63, says he was unloading corn from one bin to another on April 19 when he accidentally stepped into a grain auger, trapping his left leg in between the rotating shaft. The equipment began to pull Kaser’s leg in further, mangling it.

“I didn’t know what to do,” he told the Omaha World-Herald on Tuesday. “I was afraid it was going to suck me in more. I about gave up and let it do what it was going to do.”

The lifelong farmer told the paper that he couldn't find his cellphone and that it would be useless to yell for help on the 1,500-acre farm.

Kaser said his will to live kicked in when he saw the machine had already removed his foot. He observed an area just eight inches below his knee, took out his pocket knife and began to free himself.

"When I was cutting it, the nerve endings, I could feel, like, the ping every time I sawed around that pipe, and all at once it went and it let me go and I got the heck out of there," Kaser told Omaha's KETV-TV.

After he was freed, he crawled 150-200 feet to the nearest phone and was flown to a hospital. Kaser says he never lost consciousness.

that is one tough old bastard
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Some men are just more masculine then us. There should be a hall of tough guys.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I can honestly say I don't know if I could do that. I know it would mean life or death, but damn!! Hell, I guess I couldn't do that, I don't carry a pocket knife.

On a serious note. lost a friend of the family to that same type of accident. His overall strap got caught in the auger and it took him right into it. Thankfully it was a quick death and he didn't suffer so much.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I always carry a pocket knife. Hopefully I'll never have to use it in this manner.
wab
Mod

I carry a pocket knife every day too. I'd like to say I'd be able to do this, but man I don't know. It's hard to know how you would react when you are laying there thinking about death and leaving your family behind.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

We just had a farmer get his arm caught in an auger. Sat for 4 hours before the neighbor found him. It was my buddies call. Dude lived but likely loses everything below the elbow.