Brats

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

After those four games what else as a football fan do you want out of Wild Card Weekend? Holy shit.

And I kicked ass on my beer brats on top of it. Outstanding.

I just need Seattle to beat the Packers. It doesn’t even need to be by a lot. 1 point will be fine.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm After those four games what else as a football fan do you want out of Wild Card Weekend? Holy shit.
yeah ... this was the wildest and most entertaining WC weekend I can ever remember

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pmAnd I kicked ass on my beer brats on top of it. Outstanding.
mmmmmm ... beer brats

mine were successful as well, loaded down with grilled onions and spicy mustard

and provolone cheese ... years of experimentation always comes back to the same consensus result - the best cheese on brats is mild provolone

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm I just need Seattle to beat the Packers. It doesn’t even need to be by a lot. 1 point will be fine.
yes
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:08 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm After those four games what else as a football fan do you want out of Wild Card Weekend? Holy shit.
yeah ... this was the wildest and most entertaining WC weekend I can ever remember

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pmAnd I kicked ass on my beer brats on top of it. Outstanding.
mmmmmm ... beer brats

and provolone cheese ... years of experimentation always comes back to the same consensus result - the best cheese on brats is mild provolone

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:00 pm I just need Seattle to beat the Packers. It doesn’t even need to be by a lot. 1 point will be fine.
yes
RE: Beer Brats

Thanks for the tip on provolone. I'll remember that for the next time I make them. What beer do you use?

Here's how I make my beer brats.

First, I poke holes in the brats with a knife.

Then I soak them in Lite beer, hot sauce, garlic, black pepper and onion for at least 24 hours. Then I cook them in a skillet on top of the stove with a little bit of the marinade in the skillet. I put all of the onions in the skillet because then you can put them on the brats.

For the cheese, I take a small pot and use a little of the marinade and then shredded cheese where I make a fondue like cheese to put on the brats.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:17 pm
Boris13c wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:08 pm
mmmmmm ... beer brats

RE: Beer Brats

Thanks for the tip on provolone. I'll remember that for the next time I make them. What beer do you use?

Here's how I make my beer brats.

First, I poke holes in the brats with a knife.

Then I soak them in Lite beer, hot sauce, garlic, black pepper and onion for at least 24 hours. Then I cook them in a skillet on top of the stove with a little bit of the marinade in the skillet. I put all of the onions in the skillet because then you can put them on the brats.

For the cheese, I take a small pot and use a little of the marinade and then shredded cheese where I make a fondue like cheese to put on the brats.

you poke holes in them?!?

dude ... no

my recipe is much simpler ... put the brats, a couple of sliced onions, some minced garlic, and a half stick of butter in a pot ... add 2 cans of beer ... bring to a low boil for about 20 minutes

in that 20 minutes is enough time to get the coals on the grill going

take the brats from the pot and place on the grill for about 3 minutes per side to finish them

take the onion from the pot and put in a heated buttered skillet on medium high to brown

take a Kings Hawaiian hot dog bun and place a slice (or 2) of mild provolone in the bun ... put in the brat and top with the onions and mustard of choice ... enjoy

as to the beer, I use regular Budweiser for cooking ... I have tried all sorts of beers in all sorts of recipes over the years and for some reason, Budweiser is the best cooking beer I have found ... don't much like to drink it but if it is ice cold I can
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Guy at a tailgate turned me on to this.

Boil your brats in Sprite, red, green and yellow peppers along with onions.

Once boiled, grill them for a short time to get some grill marks, smoke.

Take them off the grill and replace in the hot Sprite/pepper/onion liquid and let them stay in there and simmer and stay hot.

I thought it was crazy, but they were tasty as hell. Pull them out of the simmering pot with peppers and onions, pretty damn good.

Not for everyone. I do not fix them like this very often, only for a change up.

I love me some sharp cheddar on my brats.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm Guy at a tailgate turned me on to this.

Take them off the grill and replace in the hot Sprite/pepper/onion liquid and let them stay in there and simmer and stay hot.

I thought it was crazy, but they were tasty as hell. Pull them out of the simmering pot with peppers and onions, pretty damn good.

I do the Sprite method occasionally too.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:09 pm
Otis Day wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:53 pm Guy at a tailgate turned me on to this.

I do the Sprite method occasionally too.
Holy hell. That sounds amazing. Trying this once it warms up a bit here.

If anyone's up in the greater Chicago area, Kreger's Brats is an awesome little joint that makes great, great bratwurst.

https://kregersbrats.com/
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Didn't want to hijack the thread in "Around The NFL, NFL Wildcard Weekend" with cooking shit.

Interesting little thing I saw:
Never boil brats in beer or any other liquid before or after going on the grill. Boiling brats actually leaches flavor from the meat. ... Boiling in any manner is never okay.
https://www.charbroil.com/learn/the-basics-of-brats/

:o

The only time I have never boiled brats was when I put them on a stick over a camp fire (didn't have a pot to boil them in).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I usually boil them for a little while and then finish them off in a skillet on the oven. Breaking out the grill is too much damn work sometimes.

I've been told from other people to not use fancy beer because it isn't retained in the brats. I don't see how this is possible. I poke holes in mine before marinading for at least 24 hours and the flavor is fantastic.

(I don't believe in fancy beer to begin with anyway. I don't really even drink. When I do its something like PBR or Old Style.)
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am strictly an old school beer drinker. Give me a Budweiser, Stag , Shiner Bock or Leinenkugel Dark and I am happy.

I did see an episode of America's Test Kitchen where they did a taste test. Brats were boiled in beer and some boiled in water. The tasters could not tell a difference between the beer boiled or water boiled. Thought that was pretty interesting.

I grill out all year long. In the winter I have the grill on the back porch.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:56 am Didn't want to hijack the thread in "Around The NFL, NFL Wildcard Weekend" with cooking shit.

Interesting little thing I saw:
Never boil brats in beer or any other liquid before or after going on the grill. Boiling brats actually leaches flavor from the meat. ... Boiling in any manner is never okay.
https://www.charbroil.com/learn/the-basics-of-brats/

:o

The only time I have never boiled brats was when I put them on a stick over a camp fire (didn't have a pot to boil them in).

I dunno man ... I've been boiling brats in beer for ages before finishing them on the grill and have never had any complaints

so I will respectfully disagree with the folks at the charbroil site
George Carlin
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I was out of beer last night, so I remembered the Sprite recommendation. I didn't have any Sprite either, but I did have some of those lemon hard seltzer waters, so I went with that. Those brats came out pretty damn good if I do say so myself.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I know Boris, I don't know of anyone who doesn't boil there brats first. Hell, with no beer, I still will boil them in water.