Politics-Free Pandemic/COVID-19 Discussion

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

I could stand to lose some weight, and I don't have anything going on for the next two weeks, so how about you come cough on me?

Kidding... kinda.

BUT. A friend of mine called this morning and said he was on his way to get tested. He woke up with no taste or smell. I haven't seen him in about 3 weeks, so I think I'm in the clear.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Might be a long drive. Ha.

If I cough on Nagy we would get to see someone else playcall for a couple weeks.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

6 days in for my wife. Mornings are good for her. She has aches, minor fever. As day goes on she gets chills/sweats, headache and tired. Strange how it hits her in waves. Buddy of mines adult son tested positive and he was down with body pain, headache, temp. He said his aches and temp do not lessen, full on all day. It is strange how it affects people. My wife is not walker or someone who likes to exercise. And, she eats like shit most of the time.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hopes she gets through it without too much trouble.

Just raked the lawn today, 2 acres, so probably be sore tomorrow.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:15 am It’s weird how it attacks different people so differently.
Yeah, that's one of the things that makes it so problematic.

I know a lot of people here aren't actually from Chicago, but, man, IL is just a trainwreck this past month.
:(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:52 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:15 am It’s weird how it attacks different people so differently.

I know a lot of people here aren't actually from Chicago, but, man, IL is just a trainwreck this past month.
Pretty much the entire center of the country has it spreading like wildfire, just took a little time, school starting, college starting and people get complacent just because everyone is tired of it. Most of the developed world is going through the same.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:52 am

Yep. And the trend is going the wrong direction.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Got my second dose of the rona vaccine yesterday. It's the first shot sense I got an anthrax shot that actually made my arm sore. Slight fever. Everyone I know who got it yesterday is sick.

If so for anyone getting inoculated plan on a few days off on the second dose.
UOK
Site Admin

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:24 am Got my second dose of the rona vaccine yesterday. It's the first shot sense I got an anthrax shot that actually made my arm sore. Slight fever. Everyone I know who got it yesterday is sick.

If so for anyone getting inoculated plan on a few days off on the second dose.
Bunch of my friends work in health/education and have all said the same. I'm in the next tier for vaccination around here, so hopefully get my first dose by mid-March. My wife's getting her first dose on Weds thanks to a lucky break. I'm so ready for this shit to end.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

A few co workers have gotten their first dose and reported being sluggish the next day. I think it can be different for all. A woman I know was in the ER within hrs after the first dose. It jacked up her blood pressure, pretty high. She was in ER about 6 hrs then released. They told her not to get the 2nd dose.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm A few co workers have gotten their first dose and reported being sluggish the next day. I think it can be different for all. A woman I know was in the ER within hrs after the first dose. It jacked up her blood pressure, pretty high. She was in ER about 6 hrs then released. They told her not to get the 2nd dose.
I'm sure its individually dependent but almost everyone I know was down for 2 days after the second dose. My fever lasted maybe 8 hours nothing now.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:53 pm A few co workers have gotten their first dose and reported being sluggish the next day. I think it can be different for all. A woman I know was in the ER within hrs after the first dose. It jacked up her blood pressure, pretty high. She was in ER about 6 hrs then released. They told her not to get the 2nd dose.
I don't have the exact figures to reference, but thankfully issues like this are very low (like 10 in 4 million). And while it's great that she went to get the vaccine, as long as the majority of the population gets the vaccine subsequently, she'd likely be safe thanks to herd immunity.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hoping to not start anything, but, I am probably in the minority. I will not be getting the vaccine. I have never gotten the flu vaccine and probably never will. The wife and I never had our kids get the chicken pox vaccine and had to fight with the doctors over that. We did not want them to get the meningitis vaccine either, but the college would not let them enroll without it.

I think it is great people get vaccines, but I am just not a fan for myself.

Glad to see places in IL open back up a little bit. Always nice to get into a restaurant and be waited on instead of getting carry out. From what I saw on the news, IA opened back up totally - no restrictions on people in restaurants, no masks in them either. Not sure most states are ready for that.
Xee
Site Admin

My sister-in-law (a professor) and mother-in-law (over 65) just got their first shot over the weekend. My sister-in-law said on the second day it felt a horse had kicked her in her arm but that was the only side effect. My mother-in-law had no issues whatsoever.

Like UOK, I can't wait until I get mine.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:37 pm My sister-in-law (a professor) and mother-in-law (over 65) just got their first shot over the weekend.

Like UOK, I can't wait until I get mine.
Who knows when it will be.

Parents and MIL are all old, registered, and haven't heard a word yet about when their turn might be.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm Hoping to not start anything, but, I am probably in the minority. I will not be getting the vaccine. I have never gotten the flu vaccine and probably never will. The wife and I never had our kids get the chicken pox vaccine and had to fight with the doctors over that. We did not want them to get the meningitis vaccine either, but the college would not let them enroll without it.

Eh I personally dont care. I am absolutely not scared of the virus. I have changed my life almost zero, other then a cheese cloth on my face while buying groceries. (Obviously that's a joke). I do believe the most venerable should get it first in which I am not.

However I got it so maybe a one less person gets ill. It's that or the set aside batches might get destroyed like happened in NY I think.

I dont blame anyone for not getting it though.

Also I would like to say I know a few virologists and smart people who make this shit. I'm just a knuckle drager. But they have talked about RNA vaccines forever. I dont trust them at all. But my google research and talking with smart people I have no qualms about it.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:06 pm Hoping to not start anything, but, I am probably in the minority. I will not be getting the vaccine. I have never gotten the flu vaccine and probably never will. The wife and I never had our kids get the chicken pox vaccine and had to fight with the doctors over that. We did not want them to get the meningitis vaccine either, but the college would not let them enroll without it.

Glad to see places in IL open back up a little bit. Always nice to get into a restaurant and be waited on instead of getting carry out. From what I saw on the news, IA opened back up totally - no restrictions on people in restaurants, no masks in them either. Not sure most states are ready for that.
My parents likely aren't going to get it either. To each their own, and again, if the bulk of people get vaccinated, herd immunity takes care of things for the most part.

Wife and I went to a restaurant yesterday to pick up some grub and there were a few tables seated with patrons. Same for when we took some Amazon returns to Kohls and stopped by the mall and TJ Maxx to be in-and-out with small purchases. The places were packed.

While part of me was disappointed that there were so many people crammed into small spaces, I was happy to see that everybody was wearing a mask and supporting in-person commerce. It's a quandary/catch-22 type situation, but I feel far less judgmental knowing there is a vaccine on the way very soon to any and everyone who wants it can get it.

My sister tested positive over the weekend. She's a teacher out in Arizona where they give zero shits, and she was in such bad health her students were telling her over Zoom to stop teaching and go to bed, lol. She's already had her first vaccine and got the positive test on the day she was intended to get her second dose, so that sucks. Thankfully the first vaccine may have strengthened her immune system against COVID, because she's doing better just a few days later, but fuckin' kids are such major transmitters and it's so difficult to stop them from spreading since they gotta go to school.

Blah. Anyways, I'm 10 days away from qualifying and I'm going to camp out near wherever they are dishing out the vaccines like it's a Madden release or something.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Sorry to hear about your sister, UOK. I have friends in AZ who can confirm your statement about the attitude toward COVID-19.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

We had a scare last month. Both the wife and I felt like death. Body aches, uncontrollable shaking/freezing, headaches etc. No fevers or nausea. Probably the worst part was that I couldn't breathe or catch my breath. We both tested negative though. We actually got tested twice because we didn't believe it the first time, but they both came back negative.

They did give me an oxygen monitor to wear because my levels were so low. But, no Covid, so that's good.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

My first career I worked in hospitals as a respiratory therapist. Masking up for infected patients has been part of that job forever.

Now I wear two masks in public because I know that two masks will provide better filtering than just one. It also makes a difference how well you make the masks fit. I use one of the disposable soft blue ones and then I put a N95 on top of that.

My daughter is an optometrist and she wears two masks all day long plus a face shield.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

UOK, sorry about your sister. My daughter is a pre-school teacher in a district that has been in person all year. I don't know how and some shaky shit has went on in that school.

wab, hope you are feeling better.

My father-in-law, 89, gets his second dose this Thurs. No problems with the first one thank goodness. He is a horse of an 89 year old. The dude still helps farm at harvest. He will put in 8-10 hr days. His dad lived till 103.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am
Now I wear two masks in public because I know that two masks will provide better filtering than just one. It also makes a difference how well you make the masks fit. I use one of the disposable soft blue ones and then I put a N95 on top of that.
Not trying to start anything but this makes very little sense to me. Now obviously my opinions on masks are directly opposite of yours. But that's not important. I think your method could be improved.

An N95 provides your best filtration. So why put a lower quality mask underneath it, breaking the seal. Having had fit tests with N95 masks, gas masks and respirators, your system is backwards to me.

If you have ever experienced a CS gas exposure or even worked with a respirator the seal is the most important part. I think you are compromising the seal. Just something to think about.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:24 am
pus wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am
Not trying to start anything but this makes very little sense to me. Now obviously my opinions on masks are directly opposite of yours. But that's not important. I think your method could be improved.

An N95 provides your best filtration. So why put a lower quality mask underneath it, breaking the seal. Having had fit tests with N95 masks, gas masks and respirators, your system is backwards to me.

If you have ever experienced a CS gas exposure or even worked with a respirator the seal is the most important part. I think you are compromising the seal. Just something to think about.
Before I got into Respiratory Therapy I sang the Marine's Hymn in the gas chambers at both Camp Pendleton and Camp Lejeune. Later in life I worked in a (godawful dusty) coal burning power plant where I was also a trained industrial fire fighter. We had to wear masks or respirators every day when that plant was burning coal. We had fit tests frequently just like you did. I still have symmetrical dig marks on my cheeks where the Scott respirator straps really dug in from strapping them on too tight sometimes. Makes me look like a boxer which is a joke.

It is true that the blue masks don't provide the same good seal as the N95. However, I believe the filtration material in the blue masks will provide increased protection when used under an N95 with a good seal.

The reason I like the lighter mask under the heavier N95 is that the blue mask can be compressed tighter where the seal should be and made to fit better by the tighter seal of the N95.

I adjust the fit of the two masks until I can feel the interior (blue) mask collapsing against my nose/moutn when I inhale. This tells me I have a good seal with them both and the air is being passed through two filters instead of one. To me, the collapsing of the blue material during inhalation is an indication that it filters at least as good as the N95.

Notice that the N95s are form fitted to your face while the blue ones are flat and pleated. The N95's better form fit, together with the adjustable metal nose piece and the much tighter straps are what gives the N95 its better seal.

Many health-care workers advocate the use of two masks, especially people like dentists and eye doctors who have to get really close to their patients. Unless I am mistaken, the CDC and Dr. Fauci both say two masks are a good idea.

Maybe I haven't explained it very well but the bottom line is that the better seal of the N95 can be used to compress the sealing points of the blue mask to get some benefit from both of them.
wab
Mod

Lets just not get into the mask debate.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 pm Lets just not get into the mask debate.
I think we handled it well. Especially sense he clearly is a mask supporter and I wear something equivalent to a bee keeper helmet.

Pus your logic makes no logic to me but best of luck to you.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 pm
I think we handled it well. Especially sense he clearly is a mask supporter and I wear something equivalent to a bee keeper helmet.

Thank you for your civil response and I respect your opinion(s) as well.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:22 pm

You both have. I don’t trust everyone to do the same.
G08
Hall of Famer

Can confirm, the second COVID-19 shot is a doozy.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 pm Can confirm, the second COVID-19 shot is a doozy.
Getting my 2nd in a couple weeks. How has the 2nd shot been treating you? Feeling flu-ish?
G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:46 am
G08 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:25 pm Can confirm, the second COVID-19 shot is a doozy.
Getting my 2nd in a couple weeks. How has the 2nd shot been treating you? Feeling flu-ish?
Got the shot at 9am, felt fine until about midnight. At that point until 48 hours later it was muscle aches in my major muscle groups (basically everywhere *FLEX*) and intermittent fever and chills.

Tylenol helps, but don't take it before your second shot.

It's not a death sentence but it did put me out of commission from wanting to enjoy my weekend.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS