Politics-Free Pandemic/COVID-19 Discussion

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I'm going back and forth as to whether I should start work or not. I'm a 1 man work crew, doing paver patios outside. Technically I fall into a gray area of not being essential but not being a high risk virus spreader either. There is a ton of sba loans that will likely be forgiven if loan criteria is met, and for the first time ever, unemployment has been expanded for sole proprietors. But I have 3 absolutely huge jobs that will pay very well (way more than I can claim in financial aid which is based off last years taxes), and I fear losing them for a number of possible reasons.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Wounded Bear
MVP

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 am @Wounded Bear

My immediate thought is that you're tired because your oxygen saturation levels are low. You should always be around 100%, if it falls below 95% it's a strong indication your lungs are struggling to absorb the oxygen your body requires (COVID-19 viciously attacks the lungs). Do me a favor and get that checked out if you're still feeling tired.

it's business as usual in the G08 household. Both wifey and I are in healthcare so we're on the front lines. Exposure risk is always on the forefront of our mind -- we have not received the PPE required to do this job safely (N95 masks, etc) so there is frustration from my staff that I am trying to manage on a daily basis. That being said, to anyone reading this, please please please stay in your house unless you absolutely need to go out. If you do, be smart, cough/sneeze into your arm. Metal door handles, etc, can hold the virus for up to 5 days, cardboard 24 hours, etc, so if you touch anything DO NOT bring your hands north of 90 degrees.

Be smart, wash your hands, use sanitizer, and again please avoid touching your face (rubbing eyes, nose, mouth, etc).

They're saying Illinois is supposed to spike this month, driving home from work into the city and I see idiots jogging in groups and walking/socializing their dogs with others. It's infuriating.

Thanks for the suggestion. I seem to be getting a little bit better, but I thought about waiting a week before bothering any medical personnel because they seem to be super busy and I hate to burden an over-burdened medical system.

Anyhow, I felt that the only good thing about getting the Covid is that now I'm immune. Now I'm hearing that may not be true. I'm seriously confused because I've read articles saying that I should be immune and others saying that there are patients in Asia who caught it and recovered, but are now being re-admitted for a possible other round of the virus. What the fuck?

Anyhow, stay safe out there, G08. Thanks for doing your part out there. Your job is always meaningful, but it is especially now.
The universe is under no obligation to make any sense to you...
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Wounded Bear
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:43 pm Peace to you and yours, @Wounded Bear.

And our gratitude for your work on the front lines, @G08.
Thanks, Thunderspirit. You've always been a good dude.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
G08
Hall of Famer

Wounded Bear wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:36 am
G08 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:09 am @Wounded Bear

My immediate thought is that you're tired because your oxygen saturation levels are low. You should always be around 100%, if it falls below 95% it's a strong indication your lungs are struggling to absorb the oxygen your body requires (COVID-19 viciously attacks the lungs). Do me a favor and get that checked out if you're still feeling tired.

it's business as usual in the G08 household. Both wifey and I are in healthcare so we're on the front lines. Exposure risk is always on the forefront of our mind -- we have not received the PPE required to do this job safely (N95 masks, etc) so there is frustration from my staff that I am trying to manage on a daily basis. That being said, to anyone reading this, please please please stay in your house unless you absolutely need to go out. If you do, be smart, cough/sneeze into your arm. Metal door handles, etc, can hold the virus for up to 5 days, cardboard 24 hours, etc, so if you touch anything DO NOT bring your hands north of 90 degrees.

Be smart, wash your hands, use sanitizer, and again please avoid touching your face (rubbing eyes, nose, mouth, etc).

They're saying Illinois is supposed to spike this month, driving home from work into the city and I see idiots jogging in groups and walking/socializing their dogs with others. It's infuriating.

Thanks for the suggestion. I seem to be getting a little bit better, but I thought about waiting a week before bothering any medical personnel because they seem to be super busy and I hate to burden an over-burdened medical system.

Anyhow, I felt that the only good thing about getting the Covid is that now I'm immune. Now I'm hearing that may not be true. I'm seriously confused because I've read articles saying that I should be immune and others saying that there are patients in Asia who caught it and recovered, but are now being re-admitted for a possible other round of the virus. What the fuck?

Anyhow, stay safe out there, G08. Thanks for doing your part out there. Your job is always meaningful, but it is especially now.
Keep an eye on it... if you feel like you're having difficulty breathing or are always tired, just go get checked out. Not worth the risk, man.

You're immune to the strain that got you ill, yes. I've heard some rumblings that there is a mutated strain out east but I don't know how true that is, honestly. If I were you, I would operate as if you never got sick and take the same precautions (hell, be over-precautious at this point) as the rest of us.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

Glad you came out of it WoundedBear. That's pretty scary.

My wife doesn't leave the house. She has an fairly rare autoimmune disorder that results in her body producing very little amounts of IgG - something that fights infections I guess. So if she gets it, she's toast.

I leave the house to get groceries when I have to. That's about it. We do try to get takeout a couple times a week to help our small local eateries that are struggling. But there's barely any human interaction.

I've also never washed my hands or taken so many showers as I have in the last 3 weeks.
Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:47 am I leave the house to get groceries when I have to. That's about it. We do try to get takeout a couple times a week to help our small local eateries that are struggling. But there's barely any human interaction.

I've also never washed my hands or taken so many showers as I have in the last 3 weeks.
Agreed. We try to only have one person go out for groceries and when they come back, we have a full decontamination procedure in place. Hands are washed thoroughly, clothes that were worn to the store are immediately put to wash, and any boxed/bagged grocery items are wiped down with disinfectant wipes. After that, any groceries we don't immediately need are left to chill out in the attached garage for a few days before we bring them in.

Probably completely overkill since none of us in the house are high-risk but most of the above was my wife's idea so I just let her do all the shopping. No skin off my back. haha
UOK
Site Admin

I dunno if it's just me, but I have given no shits about sports during this downtime. I can't even fathom football right now, much less baseball/etc. I can't get into any of it until I get an idea of this thing having a conclusion, but the way it looks we may not have anything sports related at all until summer's overwith, maybe a year if it continues to run rampant. So why get excited about it?

If this was the last NFL season ever, how appropriate the Bears went 8-8. It won't be, but just sayin'.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not a baseball fan so I could care less if that season gets going. I am at peace with the halt to hockey. I am not an NFL draft guy so have no feelings on it really. I just pay attention when it is the Bears pick.

Watching the Hawks 2010 Stanley Cup push again.

Just found out today that a person who has tested positive for Covid-19 and is in ICU was in our office on 3/10. Been enough time and no symptoms since then.

WoundedBear, get better buddy.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Work as a Chrysler Mechanic. We are still open but not allowing customers in to the store. I work on commission and am only putting out less then an hour on most days. I am all caught up on training for the year already so that is one plus. Was told by a lady that we should all be working from home, not sure how to get a car inside my apartment , LOL. Haven't been to see my Mom since early March. We speak on the phone but its not the same. She is in a small town (150 people) and one person from there is in the hospital with COVID-19. My little girl is going nuts, she is a social butterfly and is having a hard time with the social distancing. So on weekends I have been teaching her how to drive. We do mostly gravel roads and a few isolated pavement. She is 11 and killing it. I wont let her go 35-40mph but she is doing great. Be safe out there my Bear Brothers and Sisters.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:06 pm I dunno if it's just me, but I have given no shits about sports during this downtime.
I'm kinda in the same boat. I haven't really been following anything other than this board and a couple of people on Twitter (even though I hate Twitter with all of my soul).

I'm looking forward to the draft I guess, if only for the distraction from all of this it will bring for a couple of days.

Our shelter in place has been extended through may 1st and there's no way our kids are going back to school this year - which isn't really a complaint. I'm grateful for the precautions.

It's just weird times out there. I had to go out and pick up a prescription for my wife the other day, and at 5pm on our largest tollway, there wasn't a car for miles. Kinda surreal.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

wab wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:49 amIt's just weird times out there. I had to go out and pick up a prescription for my wife the other day, and at 5pm on our largest tollway, there wasn't a car for miles. Kinda surreal.
Dude, it's pretty crazy. Even the stores are starting to empty and are starting to look like some zombie apocalypse video game.

My Mom: You'll never make it in the world staying in your room all day playing video games.

Me: Checkmate
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Rockbear when are you going to update your sig? Come on man!!! Get that 2019 National Championship some love.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:39 pm
wab wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:49 amIt's just weird times out there. I had to go out and pick up a prescription for my wife the other day, and at 5pm on our largest tollway, there wasn't a car for miles. Kinda surreal.
Dude, it's pretty crazy. Even the stores are starting to empty and are starting to look like some zombie apocalypse video game.

My Mom: You'll never make it in the world staying in your room all day playing video games.

Me: Checkmate
Yeah man. Usually this is just gridlocked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

The strangest I've felt recently was at a big Wal Mart. There were no kids in the store. I can't think of a time in my life I've been in a Wal Mart with no kids running around.
wab
Mod

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:30 pm The strangest I've felt recently was at a big Wal Mart. There were no kids in the store. I can't think of a time in my life I've been in a Wal Mart with no kids running around.
You know what... now that you mention it, I haven't seen a kid in a store in over a month.
G08
Hall of Famer

I won't lie, my commute to work has been beautiful. I will miss it once things are "back to normal".

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Agree crazy about walmart.

Wounded you become partially immune. I talked with two virologist I know. Now I'm no scientist so my wording maybe dumbed down this is how I understand it.

Over time your body will lose those antibodies and will overtime have to essentially relearn to fight it. Now the positive is the next time you catch it your body is still more prepared then if it never seen it.

This is why the h1n1 vaccine is given yearly and DTAP is given like every decade. That's the projected loss rate of those antibodies.

An example is boxing. Southpaws provide a unique challenge. If you never fought one the angles fuck you up. If you train for one you understand the angles and perform better. Once you have the knowledge you may go a long period without fighting a southpaw but when you do you have the concept but it may take a bit to put them to use.
G08
Hall of Famer

With the flu vaccines, @mmmc_35 , the reason we suggest those shots yearly is because there are different strains that exist. The scientific community gets together and tries to predict which strain will be the predominant one each year and then creates the flu vaccine based on the structure of said strain. A lot of times it's a hit, but there are times unfortunately that nature wins and it's a miss.

wab
Mod

An example is boxing. Southpaws provide a unique challenge. If you never fought one the angles fuck you up.
Every. Damn. Time.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I've only just seen this thread, as I thought UOK had requested the board to be free of this topic.

I just want to send you all best wishes from this side of the pond.

We've been in lockdown since the 24th March, so more than two weeks now.

I usually work from home a couple of days a week, so it's not too big a change for me to do so full time. However, as I'm classed as 'extremely vulnerable' due to a medical condition I cannot go out for at least 12 weeks. Fortunately I have a garden, so I can at least spend a bit of time outdoors. Many others aren't so lucky.

This pandemic has made the entire country even more thankful for our healthcare professionals. Tonight, as has been the case every Thursday since the lockdown began, there was nationwide applause for them all at 8pm with people stepping out of their homes, standing in their doorways and at their windows clapping, banging pots and pans, and cheering for a few minutes just to let them know how much we all appreciate everything that they're doing for us.

So, a particular shout out to G08 and Mrs G08 for their efforts too. I'm sure your efforts are appreciated every bit as much in your country.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:16 pm
An example is boxing. Southpaws provide a unique challenge. If you never fought one the angles fuck you up.
Every. Damn. Time.
It does. Have to really concentrate on keeping lead foot outside his lead foot. Keeps the orthodox right in range and southpaws left out. Super hard though because movement becomes odd as circling is essentially backwards.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

@g08 yes they guesstimate yearly strains but also antibody levels decline over time. It's why they have put same strains commonly in vaccine. It's why h1n1 has been in the cocktail for like a decade.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm
wab wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:16 pm
Every. Damn. Time.
It does. Have to really concentrate on keeping lead foot outside his lead foot. Keeps the orthodox right in range and southpaws left out. Super hard though because movement becomes odd as circling is essentially backwards.
It results in me getting hit in the head a lot.
G08
Hall of Famer

@thunderspirit @Wounded Bear @HisRoyalSweetness Thanks guys

Xee
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:16 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:10 pm

It results in me getting hit in the head a lot.
I think everyone should take one boxing class just to appreciate the fact of how difficult it is. I think it would result in people who's fighting experience/knowledge consists of movies being more cordial to each other. It's easy to imagine fighting someone in your head and say, "I would do this" or "I would do that" but another thing entirely to be 2 feet away from someone.

Many years ago I took a self-defense course at community college and it was actually pretty decent. I had a blast so at the end of the last class I asked the teacher if he could recommend anywhere I could go to learn more. He gave me the name and number of a police officer nearby who was a certified jeet-kune-do instructor and taught classes out of his garage. I gave him a call and signed up.

I think I stuck with it for 6 months or so before I stopped going but my biggest take away was from the boxing sessions. To be safe, he had me wear a hockey mask with a visor which made you feel a bit cockey but man, that goes away quickly. I didn't know it when I signed up but 99% of the other "students" were actually other police officers, many of which had at least some fighting experience.

In particular, I remember one guy named Dino who obviously boxed before. When the bell would go off his guard would go up and he rarely ever made the first move. I'd get frustrated after circling for a while so I'd throw a punch and that's when I'd get rocked by him. Each time was the same thing. Every time I would throw a punch it would either do nothing or he'd counter with one and always land it. One time he hit me so hard that even with my hockey helmet on, he knocked a contact out of my eye. I had to drive home that night with that eye closed the whole time just so I could see.

Fun times for sure, but I always tell people my main take away from those 6 months was . . . never get into a fight. haha
wab
Mod

Fighting is a weird thing. Two humans willingly standing there punching each other in the face isn’t inherently natural.

I started boxing when I was 12 and stopped when I was 24. I picked it back up again in my mid thirties with...mixed results. I’ve never been great at it... and it’s probably time to call it quits for good. My wife hates it, and let’s face it. I’m 40.

I’ve had some Jujitsu and Krav Maga training sprinkled in, but traditional boxing has always been my favorite. My daughters also take Jujitsu classes - at their request.
Wounded Bear
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:41 pm WoundedBear, get better buddy.
Thanks, man. It's much appreciated.

Started running again. Boy that's a lot of fun. Half the distance at half speed. I'm just hoping a local rancher shoots me as a mercy kill.
mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:47 pm Agree crazy about walmart.

Wounded you become partially immune. I talked with two virologist I know. Now I'm no scientist so my wording maybe dumbed down this is how I understand it.

Over time your body will lose those antibodies and will overtime have to essentially relearn to fight it. Now the positive is the next time you catch it your body is still more prepared then if it never seen it.

This is why the h1n1 vaccine is given yearly and DTAP is given like every decade. That's the projected loss rate of those antibodies.

An example is boxing. Southpaws provide a unique challenge. If you never fought one the angles fuck you up. If you train for one you understand the angles and perform better. Once you have the knowledge you may go a long period without fighting a southpaw but when you do you have the concept but it may take a bit to put them to use.
Good use of an analogy, although as G08 mentions, I have read there are other strains out there. I'm hoping to collect them all and sell them on ebay.
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

damn Wounded Bear ... I am very happy you got through your nightmare ... best wishes to you
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

AZ_Bearfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:00 pm Image
Just checked this out. That is hilarious.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Xee
Site Admin

Personally, even on weekends, I get into a bit of a funk if I wear my pajamas all day. There's something just about taking a shower and getting dressed in the morning that makes lifts my spirits up a bit. When I'm in pajamas all day, it just feels like the day never started.

Now, sweatpants and/or workout pants are another thing entirely. If I'm staying home all day, I keep it 100% cotton or polyester. No denim at all. haha