College football is completely broken

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

You can just skip the whole thing and start playing New Years day, what difference does it make?

Every single year you'll have Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State...then insert either Oklahoma or some other team that waltzed through an easy-ish schedule (ND this year) to get blasted by Alabama in the first game. When there's only 3 teams with a chance to win it every single season, the system is broken. Fix it or watch it fade away to irrelevance.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I have always thought the power 5 should send their champion, and the mid majors should vote a team in to a six team playoff. The brackets done via lottery selection.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hell, the FCS pulls off a 24 team playoff, why can't the FBS? 16 teams play the first week, 8 teams have a bye. Plays out wonderfully, I love it. Cut a few games from the schedule and do it up right. If you don't want 24, do 16, at least 8.
dplank
Hall of Famer

They can structure the playoffs however they want, it doesn't fix the actual problem. The fact is that all the talent goes to those same 3 teams every year, one of them (most likely Alabama) will win it every year. You could let in 100 teams, you'd end up with some combination of Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson in the final game.

It renders the entire sport meaningless outside of 3 teams.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I, for one, would welcome the demise of the NCAA altogether. But I know that's a pipe dream.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

8 team playoff, power 5 each get one, 3 at large.

Other than that, just actually enforce recruiting/NCAA rules and make the student athletes actually be students, no more basket weaving classes. If some can't cut it then the NFL needs to start a minor league.