The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the snake method is very effective, but keep in mind one of the key points - no lighter fluid

there are multiple ways to get it started without lighter fluid ... I use olive oil ... and I do also highly recommend the chimney starter to get the coals going
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 pm the snake method is very effective, but keep in mind one of the key points - no lighter fluid

there are multiple ways to get it started without lighter fluid ... I use olive oil ... and I do also highly recommend the chimney starter to get the coals going
Yeah I use a chimney and bacon grease on the first few coals
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Onion Bacon Bombs

made these recently and it is an excellent recipe ... you can tailor it to what you crave by how you season the meat

he did make an error in his video, saying 425 C and 195 F for the oven heat, which is opposite of what it should be ... he did correct himself with a typed overlay ... so yeah, the correct temp is 425 F for 40-45 minutes ... check them at 40, and if the bacon looks done, then they're ready

I made 2 batches ... I made the first like the recipe and for the second I used teriyaki sauce instead of worcestershire sauce ... I used Vidalia onion for the teriyaki bombs and white onion for the other
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

these are damn good ... if you're using your Weber instead of a smoker (which is the way I did them), cook them with indirect heat and smoke chips
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Crunch Chicken - there are many ways and recipes for this. Some places it is called Planet Hollywood Chicken. I guess they made it famous?

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast (or thighs if you prefer)
Flour
Crunched up Cap'n Crunch ( I didn't measure, I just make sure I have plenty)
1 egg whipped with milk

Pat dry the chicken
Cover the chicken in flour, then drench in egg/milk mix. I then re coat with flour. Then into the Cap'n Crunch. Make sure to cover completely.

I baked mine last night ( I have deep fried in the past). 375 oven for approximately 1/2 hr. Cap'n Crunch should start to brown a little.

The cereal gives this a little sweeter taste than say Ritz crackers or Corn Flakes (which you can add to the Cap''n Crunch for extra crispy). If you really want sweet, drizzle a little honey over the chicken.

Easy dish to make and pretty damn good.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Staying on the Cap'n Crunch theme, Cap' n Crunch French Toast.

AFter you dip your bread in the egg batter, flop it around in a bowl of crunch up cereal. Drop in it a skillet with hot oil and fry it. Top with real butter and some syrup. The shit is heaven.

Thanksgiving coming up post some turkey recipes or any other side you have to have for turkey day.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:12 pm Staying on the Cap'n Crunch theme, Cap' n Crunch French Toast.

AFter you dip your bread in the egg batter, flop it around in a bowl of crunch up cereal. Drop in it a skillet with hot oil and fry it. Top with real butter and some syrup. The shit is heaven.

Thanksgiving coming up post some turkey recipes or any other side you have to have for turkey day.
I have been smoking my turkey for about 5 years. Before that I fried them... frying is delicious but jeezus it's messy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Gotta have the turkey in the oven in the house, and filling it with the smell of Thanksgiving. I love T-Day. It's my favorite holiday. Probably because I love good food and my wife and I are great at cooking together, T-Day is an epic meal.

We brine the turkey for 24 hours in a pre-mix from Willams Sonoma. We stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic, onions, shallots and rosemary. I put a salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed fennel as a rub on the turkey. We put garlic, shallots, white wine, butter and onions in the pan, and then baste the turkey with all of the juices. It's fucking delicious.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This is the first year in a long time I’m not making a turkey for my household family. I told them I’m tired of the same thing every year. I do introduce a different turkey recipe each year, my favorites being White Castle Turkey and German Turkey.

But we’re just going to continue another household tradition and go to Ruth’s Chris on Black Friday and then a new tradition for going out for Chinese food on Wednesday.

Thursday I’ll be at my sister-in-law’s house staring at my phone and acting like I have to take a shit every 20 minutes.

For Christmas dinner my wife wants to have breakfast for dinner which I think is brilliant. Waffles, whipped cream, bacon, hash browns, the works. Normally every year it’s prime rib. We wanted something new there too.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 pm Gotta have the turkey in the oven in the house, and filling it with the smell of Thanksgiving. I love T-Day. It's my favorite holiday. Probably because I love good food and my wife and I are great at cooking together, T-Day is an epic meal.

We brine the turkey for 24 hours in a pre-mix from Willams Sonoma. We stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic, onions, shallots and rosemary. I put a salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed fennel as a rub on the turkey. We put garlic, shallots, white wine, butter and onions in the pan, and then baste the turkey with all of the juices. It's fucking delicious.

Damn!!! That is putting in some work. Why I do from time to time, and it freaks some people out, is bake my turkey in a brown paper bag. I grease the inside of the bag (store brown bag) with Crisco. I rub Crisco on the turkey. I throw some apples in the cavity. Put the bagged turkey in a pan, throw it in the oven. My parents and grand parents always did it this way. People always think the bag will catch on fire. Bird comes out juicy every time.

Also, my dressing has to have sausage in it, family recipe. tradition.
wab
Mod

My dressing also has sausage in it. It's amazing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Can't have sausage in mine. It wouldn't work with the perfect bite of food. You load on a fork;

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce (jellied from a can)
Gravy

Just a little of each, and then take a bite. It's the perfect blend of flavors. UGH! I can't wait!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm Damn!!! That is putting in some work. Why I do from time to time, and it freaks some people out, is bake my turkey in a brown paper bag. I grease the inside of the bag (store brown bag) with Crisco. I rub Crisco on the turkey. I throw some apples in the cavity. Put the bagged turkey in a pan, throw it in the oven. My parents and grand parents always did it this way. People always think the bag will catch on fire. Bird comes out juicy every time.
I may do this next year
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:34 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:14 pm Damn!!! That is putting in some work. Why I do from time to time, and it freaks some people out, is bake my turkey in a brown paper bag. I grease the inside of the bag (store brown bag) with Crisco. I rub Crisco on the turkey. I throw some apples in the cavity. Put the bagged turkey in a pan, throw it in the oven. My parents and grand parents always did it this way. People always think the bag will catch on fire. Bird comes out juicy every time.
I may do this next year
I've done this, but used peach paper instead of a paper bag. The paper holds up better. YMMV.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Christmas For my Family is this Saturday the 18th, since we'll be travelling to 4 different out of town family members over Christmas week.
I'm doing Chicken BBQ on my new smoker, wife is making loaded baked potatoes (cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, shallots), and also making baked squash, and some kind of dinner roll
Dessert will be my early birthday cake, and some ice cream.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

We do Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. Then on Christmas Day we order Chinese food and lay around watching movies.

Our menu is always pretty traditional. Smoked ham with apple and bourbon glaze, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potato casserole, rolls, and either carrots or corn.
wab
Mod

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:44 am Christmas For my Family is this Saturday the 18th, since we'll be travelling to 4 different out of town family members over Christmas week.
I'm doing Chicken BBQ on my new smoker, wife is making loaded baked potatoes (cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, shallots), and also making baked squash, and some kind of dinner roll
Dessert will be my early birthday cake, and some ice cream.
Smoked chicken is one of my favorites to do. So easy.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Smoking Prime rib and shrimp plus boiling crab for Christmas here.

Tried it a few years back and it’s become a Christmas tradition.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:53 am Smoking Prime rib and shrimp plus boiling crab for Christmas here.

Tried it a few years back and it’s become a Christmas tradition.
Well played.

I'm doing a similar thing for Christmas. My wife originally wanted breakfast for dinner, but then we changed our mind.

Prime rib in the oven and jumbo lobster tails.
wab
Mod

I had considered doing a bone-in ribeye roast. But…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Smoked prime rib was great. Just a simple kosher salt, garlic powder, course black pepper and rosemary rub with olive oil. Just about 4 hours at 240 got it to 130 then a quick sear at 500 for 5-7 minutes flip at 3. Rested wrapped in tin foil for 30 minutes and climbed to 145 as everyone likes medium, pink hot center.

Smoking a pork butt tomorrow, takes about 8 hours all together. Pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow night. Ice fishing after initial smoke and wrapping in foil a the lake is a mil away. Hopefully some perch and crappie hitting.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:39 pm Smoked prime rib was great. Just a simple kosher salt, garlic powder, course black pepper and rosemary rub with olive oil. Just about 4 hours at 240 got it to 130 then a quick sear at 500 for 5-7 minutes flip at 3. Rested wrapped in tin foil for 30 minutes and climbed to 145 as everyone likes medium, pink hot center.

Smoking a pork butt tomorrow, takes about 8 hours all together. Pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow night. Ice fishing after initial smoke and wrapping in foil a the lake is a mil away. Hopefully some perch and crappie hitting.
My man.

Sounds like a great time.

I cooked the jumbo lobster tails in the oven for 15 at 350. Then the prime rib for 1:45 at 350. Kept the rub simple with garlic, black pepper and salt. Rubbed butter on the top.

Let me know how the ice fishing turns out.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:37 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:39 pm Smoked prime rib was great. Just a simple kosher salt, garlic powder, course black pepper and rosemary rub with olive oil. Just about 4 hours at 240 got it to 130 then a quick sear at 500 for 5-7 minutes flip at 3. Rested wrapped in tin foil for 30 minutes and climbed to 145 as everyone likes medium, pink hot center.

My man.

Sounds like a great time.

I cooked the jumbo lobster tails in the oven for 15 at 350. Then the prime rib for 1:45 at 350. Kept the rub simple with garlic, black pepper and salt. Rubbed butter on the top.

Let me know how the ice fishing turns out.
Ice fishing was a mild success, meaning I didn’t forget anything and everything operated well. Fish, not so much. After 2 hrs of the fish coming off the bottom to look at the lure, only to go back down, we decided to go back home and have a Pendleton cloudy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Made a meatloaf over the weekend using bison. Not bad at all.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

My new guilty pleasure comes from my wife making use of leftovers:
I've been buying split chicken breasts because they tend to be a bit cheaper, especially in the 8-10 bulk store packages.
I smoke 4-5 on my smoker at a time with whatever rub I feel like and we have a good meal out of it.
Then my wife has been making smoked chicken quesadillas. I have always been a bit ambivalent towards them in the past, but that smoked chicken makes them absolutely delicious!
Our electric griddle that gets a lot of use, is put into the rotation 2-3 times more a month!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Today I decided to make fried fish (cod) on my stovetop.

Served it with malt vinegar.

The gas. Good grief. If for some reason there's a honey bee shortage this summer or the birds change their migratory pattern, I'm sorry.
Xee
Site Admin

The wife and I just finished watching "American Barbecure Showdown" on Netflix and now I'm thinking once we can afford one, to maybe invest in a smoker. Then again, I'm still only at the level of grilling where I can pretty much cook hotdogs consistently without burning them so I might might to want focus on the basics for now and instead just look for a really good local barbecue joint.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:39 pm The wife and I just finished watching "American Barbecure Showdown" on Netflix and now I'm thinking once we can afford one, to maybe invest in a smoker. Then again, I'm still only at the level of grilling where I can pretty much cook hotdogs consistently without burning them so I might might to want focus on the basics for now and instead just look for a really good local barbecue joint.
You can do it dude. It's easier than grilling. It's all patience.
UOK
Site Admin

God, I can't wait to get into the smoking life. There is nothing that comes out of a smoker that looks or tastes bad, in my experience. I'm excited to be That Guy whose neighbors find odd because he's up obnoxiously early/late to tend to his delicious bounty.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:19 am God, I can't wait to get into the smoking life. There is nothing that comes out of a smoker that looks or tastes bad, in my experience. I'm excited to be That Guy whose neighbors find odd because he's up obnoxiously early/late to tend to his delicious bounty.
It's so nice. It's a really peaceful hobby if you let it be.