The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the snake method is very effective, but keep in mind one of the key points - no lighter fluid

there are multiple ways to get it started without lighter fluid ... I use olive oil ... and I do also highly recommend the chimney starter to get the coals going
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:29 pm the snake method is very effective, but keep in mind one of the key points - no lighter fluid

there are multiple ways to get it started without lighter fluid ... I use olive oil ... and I do also highly recommend the chimney starter to get the coals going
Yeah I use a chimney and bacon grease on the first few coals
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Onion Bacon Bombs

made these recently and it is an excellent recipe ... you can tailor it to what you crave by how you season the meat

he did make an error in his video, saying 425 C and 195 F for the oven heat, which is opposite of what it should be ... he did correct himself with a typed overlay ... so yeah, the correct temp is 425 F for 40-45 minutes ... check them at 40, and if the bacon looks done, then they're ready

I made 2 batches ... I made the first like the recipe and for the second I used teriyaki sauce instead of worcestershire sauce ... I used Vidalia onion for the teriyaki bombs and white onion for the other
George Carlin

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

these are damn good ... if you're using your Weber instead of a smoker (which is the way I did them), cook them with indirect heat and smoke chips
George Carlin

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Crunch Chicken - there are many ways and recipes for this. Some places it is called Planet Hollywood Chicken. I guess they made it famous?

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast (or thighs if you prefer)
Flour
Crunched up Cap'n Crunch ( I didn't measure, I just make sure I have plenty)
1 egg whipped with milk

Pat dry the chicken
Cover the chicken in flour, then drench in egg/milk mix. I then re coat with flour. Then into the Cap'n Crunch. Make sure to cover completely.

I baked mine last night ( I have deep fried in the past). 375 oven for approximately 1/2 hr. Cap'n Crunch should start to brown a little.

The cereal gives this a little sweeter taste than say Ritz crackers or Corn Flakes (which you can add to the Cap''n Crunch for extra crispy). If you really want sweet, drizzle a little honey over the chicken.

Easy dish to make and pretty damn good.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Staying on the Cap'n Crunch theme, Cap' n Crunch French Toast.

AFter you dip your bread in the egg batter, flop it around in a bowl of crunch up cereal. Drop in it a skillet with hot oil and fry it. Top with real butter and some syrup. The shit is heaven.

Thanksgiving coming up post some turkey recipes or any other side you have to have for turkey day.
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:12 pm Staying on the Cap'n Crunch theme, Cap' n Crunch French Toast.

AFter you dip your bread in the egg batter, flop it around in a bowl of crunch up cereal. Drop in it a skillet with hot oil and fry it. Top with real butter and some syrup. The shit is heaven.

Thanksgiving coming up post some turkey recipes or any other side you have to have for turkey day.
I have been smoking my turkey for about 5 years. Before that I fried them... frying is delicious but jeezus it's messy.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Gotta have the turkey in the oven in the house, and filling it with the smell of Thanksgiving. I love T-Day. It's my favorite holiday. Probably because I love good food and my wife and I are great at cooking together, T-Day is an epic meal.

We brine the turkey for 24 hours in a pre-mix from Willams Sonoma. We stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic, onions, shallots and rosemary. I put a salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed fennel as a rub on the turkey. We put garlic, shallots, white wine, butter and onions in the pan, and then baste the turkey with all of the juices. It's fucking delicious.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

This is the first year in a long time I’m not making a turkey for my household family. I told them I’m tired of the same thing every year. I do introduce a different turkey recipe each year, my favorites being White Castle Turkey and German Turkey.

But we’re just going to continue another household tradition and go to Ruth’s Chris on Black Friday and then a new tradition for going out for Chinese food on Wednesday.

Thursday I’ll be at my sister-in-law’s house staring at my phone and acting like I have to take a shit every 20 minutes.

For Christmas dinner my wife wants to have breakfast for dinner which I think is brilliant. Waffles, whipped cream, bacon, hash browns, the works. Normally every year it’s prime rib. We wanted something new there too.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Follow Uno The Dog on IG at unofields
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 pm Gotta have the turkey in the oven in the house, and filling it with the smell of Thanksgiving. I love T-Day. It's my favorite holiday. Probably because I love good food and my wife and I are great at cooking together, T-Day is an epic meal.

We brine the turkey for 24 hours in a pre-mix from Willams Sonoma. We stuff the cavity with lemons, garlic, onions, shallots and rosemary. I put a salt, pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed fennel as a rub on the turkey. We put garlic, shallots, white wine, butter and onions in the pan, and then baste the turkey with all of the juices. It's fucking delicious.

Damn!!! That is putting in some work. Why I do from time to time, and it freaks some people out, is bake my turkey in a brown paper bag. I grease the inside of the bag (store brown bag) with Crisco. I rub Crisco on the turkey. I throw some apples in the cavity. Put the bagged turkey in a pan, throw it in the oven. My parents and grand parents always did it this way. People always think the bag will catch on fire. Bird comes out juicy every time.

Also, my dressing has to have sausage in it, family recipe. tradition.
wab
Mod

My dressing also has sausage in it. It's amazing.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Can't have sausage in mine. It wouldn't work with the perfect bite of food. You load on a fork;

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing
Cranberry sauce (jellied from a can)
Gravy

Just a little of each, and then take a bite. It's the perfect blend of flavors. UGH! I can't wait!