Steaks

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:54 pm I am a 100% charcoal guy ... and the wide variety of smoking chips, the way I can manipulate flavors with just the coals and the chips are amazing

I understand the time involved can make charcoal grilling inconvenient for the work week, but I just can't get into a gas grill ... if you're doing the propane thing and calling it grilling, you'd be better off pan frying on your stove inside IMO
+1 all day long on this one!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:12 pm I like to buy the whole beef tenderloin and cut my own Filet Mignon. It is weird you can buy the whole tenderloin on sale for $8 bucks a pound but a cut filet will cost $18 a pound! I rub all my steaks with my BBQ rub (brown sugar, seasoning salt, ground mustard, onion powder, cayenne and black pepper). Sear one minute a side with the grill burners all the way up, then I turn off the middle burners and cook to temperature (medium rare). I use the same rub for anything I put in the smoker too,
I've done this before as well. Especially if its for a bunch of people. Way cheaper to cut it yourself.
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:25 pm
IE wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 am Thanks, @wab. OK I'm shocked... you leave it in for HOURS? I thought it was higher temp for shorter! So how do you know when it is ready, when the range is several hours? Or is that "done in one hour, but you're safe to leave it in at that temp for up to 2 more hours"?

Also - have you ever tried chops?

I'm going to ask for a wand for Father's Day and check it out. If I have that long, I can go sit by the grill with my beer and do all the same stuff... but then just throw on the steaks for a minute a side for grill marks without ruining it. Pretty excited to try.
Yeah, it's hours. Done in an hour, fine to leave up to the max time abov@wab
Outside of the fact that it will be the most tender and juicy steak you've ever had, another benefit is that if you follow the temp/time guidelines it's impossible to overcook it.

While it's not quite as fun as grilling a steak, the results are pretty awesome.

Personally I use the wand for a lot of other stuff too. When I smoke a brisket or pork or make more steaks than the family can eat, I seal that stuff up and then use the wand to bring it all back up to temp. It makes leftover meat taste like it's not leftover.

Also - yes, I've done pork chops. They turn out really good. Here's a recipe I use for bone in chops:
https://www.sousvidetools.com/toolshed/ ... sous-vide/

I usually put a little port wine reduction over it with some carrots (that you can also sous vide at the same time as the pork).

Other times I will put a BBQ rub on them (I use a lot of Meat Church stuff) before I seal it up and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Sous vide and finish the same way as above and serve with some baked beans and cornbread.
I'm pretty excited - my daughter and her guy got me an Anova sous vid wand for Christmas. It's all controlled from an app which is totally cool. I can't wait to try it out. I think I'm going to start with a pork tenderloin or pork loin this week because I have some in the freezer. But New Year's Day is going to be a 2-inch thick steak & I might try some think asparagus as well.

I bought a big tenderloin on Christmas Eve for 8 people and was pretty frustrated by my performance on the grill. Usually I nail it but this time I think I felt hurried and also stressed to be cooking them to different doneness. It was dark out and I couldn't tell from feel or look from the lighting outside if they were done enough until I brought them in - and then had to put them back out there for another 5 minutes. These were beautiful 12-ounce filets and I really screwed the pooch. At least I didn't overcook them - but having to take them back off of people's plates was pretty embarrassing & never happens to me. Now with this sous vid I won't struggle again with super thick meat. And what I really will like will be not over-cooking or drying out a full half-inch on the outside to make sure the very inside is done enough. Especially with the cost of good meat these days, it is getting too expensive to risk fucking up.
sous-vide-steak-vs.-traditionally-cooked-steak.001.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!