Lou Malnati's

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Hero
Player of the Month

Is Lou Malnati's pizza any good? I'm thinking about getting some shipped to me. Cost $100 for six. Any others with better deals?
UOK
Site Admin

Lou Malnati's is the best deep dish I've had. Fantastic stuff.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am Is Lou Malnati's pizza any good? I'm thinking about getting some shipped to me. Cost $100 for six. Any others with better deals?
Pequods bro.
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 am Lou Malnati's is the best deep dish I've had. Fantastic stuff.
It's good but I can't call it the best deep dish I've had.

1. Pequods (pepperoni and garlic)
2. Art of Pizza (pepperoni and jalapeno)
3. Lou Malnatis (sausage and jalapeno)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 am Lou Malnati's is the best deep dish I've had. Fantastic stuff.
100% accurate.

Honorable mention to Giordanos and Ginos East. But Lou’s wins easily.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:13 am
100% accurate.

Giordanos is, in my opinion, not even comparable. I've had my fair share of deep dish, but Malnati's is on a different level. They make one of the best PIZZAS, period, that I've ever eaten. Highly recommend. Can't attest for how good it'd be frozen, but I'm sure it would satisfy.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:16 am

100% accurate.

Giordanos is, in my opinion, not even comparable. I've had my fair share of deep dish, but Malnati's is on a different level. They make one of the best PIZZAS, period, that I've ever eaten. Highly recommend. Can't attest for how good it'd be frozen, but I'm sure it would satisfy.
Have you also gotten a regular pizza from Lou’s?

We use a couple local places for normal pizza. Deep dish is ALWAYS Lou’s.

What do you put on your deep dish?

We do sausage and pepperoni. Every now and then we add onions and or mushrooms.
wab
Mod

100% accurate.

Had some Lou's shipped here to TX for the playoffs in 2018. It was ok. Nothing like having it there though.
UOK
Site Admin

Last time I had Malnati's was takeout from their restaurant downtown near the theater district. We did a cheese deep dish and the Chicago Classic. Both just knocked us on our asses with the quality.
spudbear
MVP

Do all the locations maintain quality/consistency? I'm thinking of getting a deep dish from the Tinley Park location while visiting family in a few months.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:32 am

Had some Lou's shipped here to TX for the playoffs in 2018. It was ok. Nothing like having it there though.
My Dad shipped me some giordano's to maine last year and same, it was fine, but it certainly tasted like a frozen pizza that traveled 1000 miles.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:03 am
Hero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:42 am Is Lou Malnati's pizza any good? I'm thinking about getting some shipped to me. Cost $100 for six. Any others with better deals?
Pequods bro.
It's good but I can't call it the best deep dish I've had.

1. Pequods (pepperoni and garlic)
2. Art of Pizza (pepperoni and jalapeno)
3. Lou Malnatis (sausage and jalapeno)
I prefer Pequods also. The carmelized cheese on the back of the crust, hot damn that is good shit. For me, the others (Lou's, Gino's and Giordano's) taste pretty similar.
Hero
Player of the Month

Man. Not a lot of topping options. Cheese, pepperoni, and sausage. Is this a Chicago thing like no ketchup on hot dogs. :D
UOK
Site Admin

Hero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm Man. Not a lot of topping options. Cheese, pepperoni, and sausage. Is this a Chicago thing like no ketchup on hot dogs. :D
It's deep dish, man. It's a pizza cake. Dense and hearty and greasy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Hero wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:10 pm Man. Not a lot of topping options. Cheese, pepperoni, and sausage. Is this a Chicago thing like no ketchup on hot dogs. :D
there are some places that offer a wider variety, but for true deep dish, it is best to keep it simple IMO ... I think the cooking process probably has something to do with this, or at least that was what I was told many years ago
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IotaNet
MVP

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:16 pm
It's deep dish, man. It's a pizza cake. Dense and hearty and greasy.
I'm a Chicago-boy, born and raised so deep-dish isn't really my fave (I think it's tourist pizza -- give me Connie's or Home-Run Inn thin any time) but if you MUST do deep dish, Lou Malnati's is the goods.

Back in the day, my office was in Schaumburg and Lou's was always the pizza of choice.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is a traditionalist's pizza. Pizza the way it was meant to be. No need for Buffalo chicken, ranch chicken, bbq chicken, bleu cheese, or any of that California style shit on Chicago deep dish pizza.

Roasted red peppers is about as extravagant as I get.
UOK
Site Admin

I grew up eating Palermo's 95th in Oak Lawn and it's still one of my favorite pizzas. That said, Monical's is top-shelf stuff. Shame it's so expensive or I'd get it all the time.
Hero
Player of the Month

Otis Day wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:32 pm It is a traditionalist's pizza. Pizza the way it was meant to be. No need for Buffalo chicken, ranch chicken, bbq chicken, bleu cheese, or any of that California style shit on Chicago deep dish pizza.

Roasted red peppers is about as extravagant as I get.
Ha. They did have a bbq chicken but I'm not touching that one. I'm a beef/Canadian bacon/mushroom guy.
Xee
Site Admin

IotaNet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:16 pm It's deep dish, man. It's a pizza cake. Dense and hearty and greasy.
I'm a Chicago-boy, born and raised so deep-dish isn't really my fave (I think it's tourist pizza -- give me Connie's or Home-Run Inn thin any time) but if you MUST do deep dish, Lou Malnati's is the goods.

Back in the day, my office was in Schaumburg and Lou's was always the pizza of choice.
Worked in an office in Schaumburg up until the pandemic and can confirm, most of the time when we had pizza for a lunch and learn it was from Lou's. It got to the point where when we had people from other offices visiting, they'd see it and be excited but everyone else would just be like, "Eh, looks like it's Lou's again".

Personally, being raised in a frugal household, I was never picky and was just happy on the rare occasions when we had pizza from PIzza Hut so I never got tired of Lou's. It's still a luxury pizza to me.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:47 pm
IotaNet wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:30 pm

Worked in an office in Schaumburg up until the pandemic and can confirm, most of the time when we had pizza for a lunch and learn it was from Lou's. It got to the point where when we had people from other offices visiting, they'd see it and be excited but everyone else would just be like, "Eh, looks like it's Lou's again".

Personally, being raised in a frugal household, I was never picky and was just happy on the rare occasions when we had pizza from PIzza Hut so I never got tired of Lou's. It's still a luxury pizza to me.
Dude there's no shame in Pizza Hut. It's glorious.

Some of my best pizza memories involve that.

As a kid, I was, and still am, an avid reader. I was in the Book It! club in grade school and would have a giant button with five stars on it. Each book I read I got a star. Five stars and I could go to Pizza Hut and get a free personal pan pizza. It was great.

I'm also a gamer. Pizza Hut used to be my go-to on days when a new system would come out or a big new game release. I'd take the day off from work and starting gaming. Then pre-internet I'd order Pizza Hut over the phone, keep gaming, get the pizza and keep going. Now it's all online.
cblaz11
MVP

I lived downtown for 7 years.. One year we pulled a list of the top 25 Chicago Pizza places and hit them all..None, IMO, came close to Lous.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I think all the "immediate mentions" when you ask about Chicago Deep Dish are overrated.

My first choice would be
https://edwardospizza.goldbelly.com/

:hungry:

Worked there long ago, during a suburban expansion that ultimately failed. But, man, that was good stuff - deep and thin. Had one every single shift and never got tired of it.
The spinach stuffed was surprisingly good.

Their shipping seems to be down right now, though.
:(

https://ship.nancyspizza.com/
would be my 2nd choice
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Best pizza I had from the Chicago area I don't even know where it came from. My daughter was in the Shriner's Hospital and a nurse got to talking about pizza. She ended up ordering us an italian beef pizza and it was awesome. I don't believe she ever told us where it was from. I do know it was a mom and pop place. This was over 20 yrs ago.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:00 pm I grew up eating Palermo's 95th in Oak Lawn and it's still one of my favorite pizzas. That said, Monical's is top-shelf stuff. Shame it's so expensive or I'd get it all the time.
Man, I miss Monical's
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:32 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:00 pm I grew up eating Palermo's 95th in Oak Lawn and it's still one of my favorite pizzas. That said, Monical's is top-shelf stuff. Shame it's so expensive or I'd get it all the time.
Man, I miss Monical's
It's the shit. There frozen take-homes aren't bad either.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 am
wab wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:32 am

Man, I miss Monical's
We have some pretty good pizza places down here, but we also have a lot of boutique places that put figs and goat cheese and honey on top.

Lot's of NY style pizza here but very few Chicago style joints worth a damn.
docc
Head Coach

Mostly Chicago Pizza in Tucson. Some excellent deli and Mom n Pop
I have Rosati Pizza 6 minutes away

Yesterday visited with Luke at Luke's Chicago Dogs n Beef. Always great. Used to go to both in Chicago were I grew up.

We have a couple NY pizza places..gpod but not the same
Rakshir
Pro Bowler

I'm glad this came up. Found out we have Lou Malnati's in Indianapolis, I had no idea. May have to give it a try Friday or Saturday.
cblaz11
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:03 am
UOK wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 am

We have some pretty good pizza places down here, but we also have a lot of boutique places that put figs and goat cheese and honey on top.

Lot's of NY style pizza here but very few Chicago style joints worth a damn.
Where are you?
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

No mention of Uno or Duo. Very similar to Malnati's, but maybe a hair short. But still great.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.