High School Football kicks off this Friday

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:wave2:

I love high school football. My hometown team plays this Friday night. Some of the kids think this is the team to finish multiple games over .500. That has not happened in years. They have some very good skill position players, but the OL is the key. It has been lacking for years.

I attend other local high school games as well. I tend to be at a game every Friday night. I will also be hitting some jr high games as well. It helps when you know some kids playing.
wab
Mod

We live right behind our HS football stadium. We don't go that often but it's fun to sit outside and listen to the games. They do have a pretty elaborate fireworks show before home games, so I get to listen to people in my neighborhood FB group complain about for 10 weeks.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That's something I wish I did more often @Otis Day . I've just never made the time.

I do go to quite a few Schaumburg Boomers games every year and that is a lot of fun.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have a nephew-in-law that is an asst. coach for a high school team about 40 miles away and he likes for me to come check out his team. I have a cousin who is a head coach at a high school 15 minutes away and I like to check his team out. This year these two teams play each other. I get to kill two birds with one stone. I also will take my father-in-law to his alma mater to check them out. That school is about 15 minutes away as well.

Then I try to catch a Western IL University game on a Saturday. In addition I got to a game for the local DIII college, Knox, in town. They have been horrid for years. Got to see Casey Urlacher play against them years ago. His big bro showed up at the game. That was pretty awesome seeing #54 in town. My son was thinking it was pretty cool when Urlacher was standing behind us for a few minutes.
wab
Mod

It's pretty cool to go to HS games here in TX. It's like watching the prequel to college all star games. A few years ago EVERYONE would go watch Allen High play because people knew Murray was going to be a star. I've watched some players that have become pretty good in the NFL from basically my backyard....Jamal Adams, Myles Garrett, Laviska Shenault, Ronald Jones, Devine Ozigbo, Greg Little, Solomon Thomas etc.

Quinn Ewers (QB), Conner Weigman (QB), and Evan Stewart (WR) are a few local kids who are probably going to be top 10 picks at some point too.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That is awesome wab. I can only count approx 3 high school kids I saw play who have went to the pros. Sherrick McManus (Peoria Richwoods), Mike Alstott (Joliet Catholic, friggin ran over, through and around the Streaks in a playoff game. Pretty awesome we had an early snow) and Brad Hopkins (Moline).
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Talk about 3 yds and a cloud of dust......Last night's game brought back old time football. Streaks (my alma mater) were predominantly running out of the wishbone. Their opponent was running quite a bit of double wing . A combined 13 pass attempts and they were all pretty much in obvious 3rd and longs. Streaks committed too many penalties at the wrong time. Opponents scored on their first drive and did not score after. Streaks scored on their last possession but could not punch in the 2 pt conversion so went down in defeat 7-6. Streaks kickers, both soccer players, were playing with the soccer team in an out of town tourney.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

you guys been following this Bishop Sycamore thing? they are an alleged fake high school with 20 somethings playing on their football team

well, they got their asses kicked 58-0 by a real high school's team, and now there are stories about ESPN getting scammed, and their football coach has been let go

Bishop Sycamore, IMG and the high school football game that duped ESPN

Ohio-based high school football team Bishop Sycamore faces questions about legitimacy

Roy Johnson, coach of Bishop Sycamore high school football team, is let go

wtf?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

My game of the week this Friday - forfeited (due to the Vid) by the team I was going to see. Damn shame since all the other schools I follow have away games. Be a nice night around a fire listening to my alma mater on the radio.