Lockdown Entertainment

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What stuff have you guys gotten into because of the lockdowns or Covid in general?

I've gotten into a bunch of shows and whatever, but lately it's been Ted Lasso. It's hilarious at times, but also a feel good comedy show.

Now because it's about soccer I've started watching the Premier League on Peacock.

This then leads to a rabbit hole of finding funny soccer chants on YouTube.

Enjoy....

UOK
Site Admin

Lots of time to cover. Let's see. I'm sure I'm missing a ton.

TV
- American Horror Story/Stories (Netflix/Hulu)
- Sharp Objects (HBO)
- Married At First Sight (Hulu)
- Watchmen (HBO)
- Glow Up (Netflix)

MOVIES
- We Need To Talk About Kevin
- The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

TRUE CRIME SERIES/DOCUMENTARIES
- Mommy Dead and Dearest (HBO)
- There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane
- The First 48 (Prime)
- Amanda Knox (Netflix)
- The Imposter (Prime)
- American Murder: The Family Next Door (Netflix)
- Murder Among The Mormons (Netflix)
- The Jinx (HBO)
- I Love You, Now Die (HBO)
- Don't Fuck With Cats (Netflix)
- Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez (Netflix)
- Abducted In Plain Site (Netflix)
- The Keepers (Netflix)
- The Staircase (Netflix)
- Beware The Slenderman (HBO)
- Evil Genius: The True Story of America’s Most Diabolical Bank Heist (Netflix)
- Murder On Middle Beach (HBO)
- Night Stalker: The Hunt For a Serial Killer (Netflix)
- The Case Against Adnan Syed (HBO)
- Jeffery Epstein: Filthy Rich (Netflix)
- Lorena (Netflix)
- Heaven's Gate: The Cult of Cults (HBO)
- Seduced: Inside the NXIVM Cult
- Going Clear: Scientology
- Holy Hell
- Q: Into The Storm
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Getting out in my garage and putting things together or working on some projects.

I distressed a new guitar to look like SRV's #1. Replicating Kenny Wayne Shephard's Cross roads guitar. Currently building a cigar box guitar. Hell, I don't even play guitar. I got an electronic drum set and have been messing with that.

Building beer caddies.

I did watch 2 seasons of The Unicorn.

Trying to get healthy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:50 am What stuff have you guys gotten into because of the lockdowns or Covid in general?
binge watching Netflix and dusting off some of my older games I haven't played in a while ... forgot how good Fallout 3 actually was
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:34 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:50 am What stuff have you guys gotten into because of the lockdowns or Covid in general?
binge watching Netflix and dusting off some of my older games I haven't played in a while ... forgot how good Fallout 3 actually was
I've gone through GTA 5 SP a solid dozen or more times. I just can't get enough of that game. Online MP is filled with a bunch of twats so I avoid it. That's most MP games anyway.

Other shows I've gotten into:

The Joy Of Painting with Bob Ross

Netflix has some great documentaries like Don't Fuck With Cats, Night Stalker, American Murder: The Family Next Door, Tread and a few others.

YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY NEED TO WATCH TREAD!! OMG, it's a true crime documentary that to me is also hilarious.

@UOK , if you like the True Crime stuff, check out Tread on Netflix.

HBO has some good ones like Chernobyl and Mare Of East Town.

Check out Mr. Nightmare on YouTube. That channel is great.
UOK
Site Admin

Forgot, we did watch both Chernobyl and Mare of Easttown. Both excellent! I’ll look into Tread.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

A dirty pleasure I had as a child was watching Dallas.

My mother would watch this show and then I got hooked.

I gave the sequel series about 10 years ago a try and it was not like the original show, but still glorious.

Anyway, IMDB TV has the original Dallas series available to stream. It's been so fun to get back into J.R. Ewing's schemes. Larry Hagman was so damn good in that role.
wab
Mod

We just started watching Yellowjackets on Showtime. It's pretty good. Kind of a paranormal/sci-fi/psychological vibe.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This is the type of game the wife and I dusted off. This, along with Battleship and Trouble. Playing a lot of Rummy as well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Mrs. and I tried watching Station Eleven on HBO and we gave up after like 2.5 episodes. Not my cup of tea for End Of The World stuff.

We started watching Article 81 on Netflix. Only one episode in but holy shit!
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Alone
Life below zero - first couple seasons, after that I want to strangle half of them.
Naked and afraid - only about 1/3 of the episodes I can fully watch
Scandal
UOK
Site Admin

Wife and I blew through Succession in a couple weeks. Fantastic show.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Squid Game on Netflix was really good.
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:52 pm Squid Game on Netflix was really good.
The last few minutes of the finale was so frustrating.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Easily the best entertainment during lockdown has been watching Cobra Kai. (Started on YouTube Premium, now on Netflix.)

On paper it looks like it shouldn't work in a million years, but it's just so damn entertaining! Just the sort of thing you need to raise your spirits and make you laugh when the world's going to hell. If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it highly enough.

Johnny Lawrence may not be the hero we want, but in these woke times he's the hero we need!

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:21 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:52 pm Squid Game on Netflix was really good.
The last few minutes of the finale was so frustrating.
IKR. We hated the way it ended too.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:31 pm Easily the best entertainment during lockdown has been watching Cobra Kai. (Started on YouTube Premium, now on Netflix.)

On paper it looks like it shouldn't work in a million years, but it's just so damn entertaining! Just the sort of thing you need to raise your spirits and make you laugh when the world's going to hell. If you haven't seen it I can't recommend it highly enough.

Johnny Lawrence may not be the hero we want, but in these woke times he's the hero we need!

My wife and I LOVE that show. LOVE IT!
Xee
Site Admin

I've been watching Ozarks since the new season dropped and have mixed feelings. It has a strong Breaking Bad vibe where, while the main protagonists manage to keep their heads above the water, you know they're in a metaphorical whirlpool and all their perseverance is going to be futile in the end. But damn if they don't keep you hooked for the ride down.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

About four episodes into Yellowjackets on Showtime. Excellent so far.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Justified - 6 seasons of quality entertainment ... Timothy Olyphant is terrific as Sherriff Raylan Givens and Walton Goggins is perfect as his childhood friend turned adult life adversary Boyd Crowder

Bansheee - 4 seasons of quality entertainment that has plenty of twists and turns in characters and story

Ozark - season 5 is coming and I can't wait
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:13 pm Justified - 6 seasons of quality entertainment ... Timothy Olyphant is terrific as Sherriff Raylan Givens and Walton Goggins is perfect as his childhood friend turned adult life adversary Boyd Crowder
You can have Raylan and Boyd sit on a porch and talk about the weather for 60 minutes and I'd watch it. The chemistry of the actors plus the writing of their dialogue is just amazing. This is definitely one show that I can rewatch multiple times since almost all the seasons were great (I really did not care for Michael Rapaport in Season 5)

I just checked and was stoked to see a limited series reboot is planned for 2023. Olyphant will be back but no word on Goggins yet.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/ar ... ming-news/
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Woman Across The Street From The Girl In The Window was hilarious. 1/2 hr episodes, the wife and I got thru this in 2 nights. Kristen Bell was the perfect person to play in this series.
Xee
Site Admin

I love a good sci-fi show and just got through both seasons of All For Mankind. Without spoiling anything, this is an alternate history show where the Soviet Union beat the US to the moon and as a result, the space race continued with each country trying to beat the other to loftier goals.

Aside for one plot line that developed towards the end of Season 2, the writing has been terrific and each episode ends with you mashing buttons to get to the next one, wanting to see what happens next. While this definitely appeals to history and sci-fi buffs, I think anyone would like it as it doesn't go into the weeds too much.

Can't wait for Season 3 to come out.
wab
Mod

Just finished Murderville on Netflix. It's brilliant.

Started Archive 81 and so far so good.

Watched a couple of episodes of Reacher, but part of the "coolness" of Jack Reacher is that he's just a dude. The guy playing him in the series is a giant meathead. It's not super believable.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Murderville was amazing. The Conan and Kumali (sp?) episodes had me falling over laughing. Marshawn too, was disappointed in Jeung, and Murphy
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:19 am Murderville was amazing. The Conan and Kumali (sp?) episodes had me falling over laughing. Marshawn too, was disappointed in Jeung, and Murphy
I liked the Ken Jeung one only because he just couldn't stop laughing. But it was hard to take seriously (well as serious as you can take that show).
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Been down for almost 2 weeks, had 3 surgeries on my left shoulder/arm/hand and still in an immobilizing sling. So watching too much tv as I can't go out of the house. Saw Squid Games when it came out - lots of complaints about the translation into English from the original Korean but it was entertaining (although the ending did suck). If you like animation, the wife and I are watching Vox Machina (Amazon). We streamed 4 seasons of Yellowstone but I thought it was ridiculous the amount of violence without repercussions. 1883, the precurrsor to Yellowstone is my favorite tv show. It's gritty, has a feel of realness, seems to capture the spirit of what was actually happening in the Old West, which is too often depicted as a simple morality play. Resident Alien - it's a quirky take on aliens from other planets coming to Earth.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:47 am Been down for almost 2 weeks, had 3 surgeries on my left shoulder/arm/hand and still in an immobilizing sling. So watching too much tv as I can't go out of the house. Saw Squid Games when it came out - lots of complaints about the translation into English from the original Korean but it was entertaining (although the ending did suck). If you like animation, the wife and I are watching Vox Machina (Amazon). We streamed 4 seasons of Yellowstone but I thought it was ridiculous the amount of violence without repercussions. 1883, the precurrsor to Yellowstone is my favorite tv show. It's gritty, has a feel of realness, seems to capture the spirit of what was actually happening in the Old West, which is too often depicted as a simple morality play. Resident Alien - it's a quirky take on aliens from other planets coming to Earth.
I'm torn on Yellowstone. I want to watch it, but I'd much rather watch 1883. Can I watch 1883 without Yellowstone?

Also if you're into Old West shows, I will once again tout the greatness of HBO's Deadwood. My favorite series of all time, bar none.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Just finished Yellowjackets season 1 last night. Great show.

Been going through Dallas off and on which is a real treat. JR is such a hoot.

Thinking about making the Tommy Lee Pamela Anderson sex tape show with Sebastian Stan next. I love Motley Crue.

Speaking of Motley Crue, The Dirt on Netflix is amazing.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:27 pm Alone
Life below zero - first couple seasons, after that I want to strangle half of them.
Naked and afraid - only about 1/3 of the episodes I can fully watch
Scandal
I got hooked on Alone. We even made a drinking game for everytime somebody says "gill net". We originally tried the word "fat", but I almost died.