what pet peeve do you think should be a capital offense?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mine is drivers being irresponsible with children in their vehicles

I see them all the time, both men and women (though the soccer moms in the over-sized SUV's are the most common), talking on their cell phones, weaving in and out of their lanes, blowing through stop signs and stoplights ... if an adult wants to be an asshole and subject himself/herself to death due to their own negligence behind the wheel, that is their problem ... the sad fact with that is, they will probably take some innocent motorist out with them

but to do this type shit with children in the vehicle is above and beyond irresponsible ... no jackass, you really aren't that important, and neither is that goddam phone call that has so much of your attention ... the children in that vehicle should be the top priority

wonder how many of these shitheads end up being the same ones who then park their vehicle and forget about their kids, leaving them in the car to roast? but that is a different rant

what should happen is the children removed from the vehicle, the doors then welded shut with the asshole(s) inside, then the vehicle set on fire
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Mine tend to be a wide variety of offenses from stupid parents. Toddlers left to play in a parking lot with no supervision. Little girls in make-up (even on Halloween, I made my wife start over when I didn't like Zoey's makeup). Small children with no carseats (I don't remember ever being in one and I was fine, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything within your power to protect you children. Not using a carseat is just lazy. I could go off on a rant here, but I won't.) It seems to me like most of the people in my neighborhood have no business being parents.

My biggest pet peeve right now though... family members that feel they have the right to repeatedly question my religious views. Every time I post something on facebook or myspace, ripping the religious zealots that repeatedly tell us voting for Obama makes us baby-killers or threatens the sanctity of marriage, I get the mini-intervention.

"Brian, I'm a little concerned about some of the stuff you've been saying lately. Do you still believe in Jesus?"

I tell them that if the church is right and you can't LOSE salvation, then I've been covered since I was way to young to actually make that decision (okay, I just say I'm covered). Then I rattle off some complete bullshit about loving the man and not the people that claim him... whatever it takes to make them shut the f*&k up. They're usually happy with that. As long as I believe enough of the key points that I'm not going to hell I guess. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If believing in Jesus is all it takes, then the rest of the bible is completely f*&king useless, right? So why is it shoved down our throats every day? I can kill all the babies I want and get a bunch of gay marriages, hell I could even be a p*cker fan... as long as I accept Jesus then I'm still going to heaven. So shut the f*&k up already.

Okay, rant over, back to the point. Anyone that believes they have any business questioning my religious beliefs (or lack of religious beliefs) should be set on fire and tossed off a cliff into a waiting swarm of hungry sharks.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

1. Internet license. I think people need to apply for a license to access the internet. This requires a background check. No internet source could be accessed without a state-issued internet license code or something because there is a lot of senseless and hateful shit out there that could be removed if we got the pedophiles and racists off the computers. That and stupid Bears fan message boards.

2. People should lose their drivers licenses after the age of 80 unless otherwise approved by a doctor. I'm sick and tired of trying to get to work when Grandpa is snailing-down the road going 15 in a 35 and sporatically swerving left and right because his Alzheimers is preventing him from remembering which side of the road golden corral is on.

3. Texting while driving needs to stop. This means you, idiot girl trying to do your makeup in the rear view while texting your BFF.

4. People w/ McCain/Palin bumper stickers should be required to wear them until the car is either sold or scrapped.
gaba
Head Coach

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:4. People w/ McCain/Palin bumper stickers should be required to wear them until the car is either sold or scrapped.
They'll do that anyway, because the rapture's coming and they want to make sure Jesus knows they were on his side.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

#1 - My Number one has always been small children with no car seats

#2 - Slow f*cking drivers, I don't care if they are putting on makeup, talking on the phone, or are just old, GET THE F*CK OFF THE ROAD

#3 - Idiots that try to talk about sports without proper information. The worst here is when someone is arguing with you about a game /player, they keep stating their point of view and defending only to later reveal ...."I didn't actually see the entire game". If you don't watch the game you have now surrendered your right to discuss anything game specific with someone who actually watched said game. You may however sit with others who did not watch the game and make asses of yourselves together.

Actually upon further review, make #3 - #1.
Sammy007
Practice Squad

Stupid should cover it, if your stupid, stop breathing my air . . .

Only problem is I fall into that catagory - regularly . . . damn.
swami
Journeyman

I'll add in more for stupid drivers: the ones who treat cyclists like they don't belong on the road.

But the thing that most bothers me (this is especially apparent while I'm abroad) is a lack of cultural understanding. I see so many people (especially in America) who go out of their way to disrespect others who don't speak their language or don't share their culture, it's sickening. There are a lot of immigrants who can't communicate well in English, but disrespecting them and excluding them isn't going to help them learn the language.

I think the opposite can happen with tourists as well. When I go to another country, I try to learn at least a bit of their language so I can ask some general questions, say things like "hello", "goodbye", "please", "thank you", and "sorry". Countless tourists, though, don't learn a single bit of another country's language and visit that country expecting all of its people to know and speak English. To me, it's a sign of respect to at least say some general courtesies in the country's own language - they're not that hard to learn and you'll have a much better travel experience if you at least try to use them.
gaba
Head Coach

I totally agree about the drivers that won't share the road. At the same time though... have you ever been stuck behind a bike, then when you finally get around him you come to a stop sign and the dick on two wheels rides right up past you and you're stuck behind him again. This happens ALL THE F*&KING TIME to me. It's never someone trying to get somewhere. It's ALWAYS some dickbag in spandex on a thousand dollar bike. It's gotten to the point where if I see someone on a bike with a spandex jersey on, I instantly fly into road rage.

I still think the car drivers are a bigger problem, but BOTH sides desperately need to learn the rules of the road.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Beardude
Practice Squad

#1 Cry baby BEARS fans after a BEARS loss.

#2 Women behind the wheel of a car.

#3 Illegals who don't speak English press 2
gaba
Head Coach

People who insist everyone should learn English. Repeated attempts to legislate English as an official language. People constantly b*tching about immigrants (illegal and otherwise).

One of the great things about this country has always been that ANYONE can come here and make a better life for themselves. When did we decide to stop this? It's not too much effort to PUSH ONE for English and it would do you some good to learn a little Spanish (or Vietnamese, or Russian if that's who you happen to live near) instead of just expecting everyone to know English. When I was in school, we learned that the United States was "the Great Melting Pot" and that it was a GOOD thing. It's who we are and trying to change that just seems wrong to me.

We don't have armed rednecks patrolling the US/Canadian border. Why is that?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
swami
Journeyman

gaba wrote:I totally agree about the drivers that won't share the road. At the same time though... have you ever been stuck behind a bike, then when you finally get around him you come to a stop sign and the dick on two wheels rides right up past you and you're stuck behind him again. This happens ALL THE F*&KING TIME to me. It's never someone trying to get somewhere. It's ALWAYS some dickbag in spandex on a thousand dollar bike. It's gotten to the point where if I see someone on a bike with a spandex jersey on, I instantly fly into road rage.

I still think the car drivers are a bigger problem, but BOTH sides desperately need to learn the rules of the road.
I understand this side of it too - there are cyclists who act like dicks on purpose.

I ride on the road all the time and probably look like some of those guys, but I definitely obey the traffic signs and ride as close to the curb as physically possible to encourage other drivers to pass me. Sometimes you have to go a bit into the road but in general I stick on the shoulder.

Now I have no idea why anyone who takes cycling seriously would want to ride on a road with a bunch of stop signs. I try and pick the roads with the longest stretches of road and the smallest amount of traffic. If I really want a serious ride, I'm not going to pick a road where I have to worry about 50 traffic signs and stop every 100 feet. I'm going to pick one where I can focus on cycling and keep myself moving LEGALLY.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

swami wrote:Now I have no idea why anyone who takes cycling seriously would want to ride on a road with a bunch of stop signs. I try and pick the roads with the longest stretches of road and the smallest amount of traffic. If I really want a serious ride, I'm not going to pick a road where I have to worry about 50 traffic signs and stop every 100 feet. I'm going to pick one where I can focus on cycling and keep myself moving LEGALLY.

in my area, cyclists are like some sort of political group ... "I have right to the roadway ... make room" ... some even ride side by side, preventing cars from passing easily (these folks see the ass end of my car, as when I do pass them, I slow and drive as close to the curb as I can ... let 'em suck some exhaust for a while as they can't get by me)

and while the knuckleheads feel they should be given room on the roadway, they generally ignore such things as stop signs and traffic lights

I have a bicycle and ride regularly, but rarely in traffic ... I don't care that I'm allowed to or in most cases am supposed to ... I prefer cross country shortcuts and riding on the grass
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I don't mind 'em at all on the long stretches of country roads... you can get around them eventually and then they can't catch up. It's the stop-and-go where they can sneak back around me at the stop signs that pisses me off. I definitely feel they belong on the road though. I walk my daughter to school every day and it's pretty f*&king annoying to have some douche on a bike force us into the street. Bikes belong on the road, not the sidewalk. They just need to learn the rules of the road.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Women who constantly call people, "hun." Grates my last nerve.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I don't mind 'em at all on the long stretches of country roads... you can get around them eventually and then they can't catch up. It's the stop-and-go where they can sneak back around me at the stop signs that pisses me off. I definitely feel they belong on the road though. I walk my daughter to school every day and it's pretty f*&king annoying to have some douche on a bike force us into the street. Bikes belong on the road, not the sidewalk. They just need to learn the rules of the road.

yeah well you are identifying yet another douche bag cyclist ... ALL bicycle riders should yield to pedestrians if they do ride on the sidewalk ... it should be the bicycle off into the grass or the road along side the sidewalk, NOT the pedestrian

the most dangerous bike assclowns are the bike messengers ... they were the #1 hazard when I worked in downtown DC ... they would not obey any traffic signals, so you could have the walk sign, and the cars stopped, but you better look for the idiot on the bike before you step into the street

I ride generally in the grassy area along the sidewalks ... on the sidewalk when there is no one walking on it ... I refuse to go ride in traffic
George Carlin