The "I Hate My Job" Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am What do you attribute the labor shortage too?

This issue is everywhere except for people with YouTube channels.

Baby Boomer retirements are a huge issue. Especially people on the fringe of retirement that are just like fuck it.

We've had 700K people die of Covid, but of that like 150K-160K were working age so that's not really driving it.

The increased unemployment benefits played a role, but didn't those stop?

Gen Z wants to work in tech somehow. Anything not related to that is going to suffer.
Well its likely multiple issues like you list. One of them is political against both parties but not worth mentioning in this context. The covid deaths is interesting. I would like to post something about the death numbers that is first hand info but also anecdotal. Maybe I will in the covid chat.

1 is definitely the boomer generation aging out.

2 is covid. Multiple reasons with the response to covid most get political.

3 I would say like you the new generation. Several young people seem to be uninterested in doing jobs they dont care about. Many of us worked shit jobs but that seems to be taboo now.

4. The unemployment benefits did take a lot of people out of the work force. I dont know what the benefits package is today, but it was a reason many initially left.

I hope this isnt taken wrong, but one thing I think is over looked. I think covid got a lot of women out of the work place. This isnt good or bad. I know a lot of women who stayed at home with their children and they found more satisfaction. My wife is essentially one of them and many women I know have.

My jobs slightly unique. As a cop the boomer generation are aging out. No one wants to do it based of the social pressures. The pay isnt great, it's not bad but far from great. I work for a mid sized department. We use to get 500 applicants. 50 would be a lot today. Over half dont make the background. A large percentage dont make the physical, medical etc. The list gets narrowed quick.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:25 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am What do you attribute the labor shortage too?

This issue is everywhere except for people with YouTube channels.

Baby Boomer retirements are a huge issue. Especially people on the fringe of retirement that are just like fuck it.

We've had 700K people die of Covid, but of that like 150K-160K were working age so that's not really driving it.

The increased unemployment benefits played a role, but didn't those stop?

Gen Z wants to work in tech somehow. Anything not related to that is going to suffer.
Well its likely multiple issues like you list. One of them is political against both parties but not worth mentioning in this context. The covid deaths is interesting. I would like to post something about the death numbers that is first hand info but also anecdotal. Maybe I will in the covid chat.

1 is definitely the boomer generation aging out.

2 is covid. Multiple reasons with the response to covid most get political.

3 I would say like you the new generation. Several young people seem to be uninterested in doing jobs they dont care about. Many of us worked shit jobs but that seems to be taboo now.

4. The unemployment benefits did take a lot of people out of the work force. I dont know what the benefits package is today, but it was a reason many initially left.

I hope this isnt taken wrong, but one thing I think is over looked. I think covid got a lot of women out of the work place. This isnt good or bad. I know a lot of women who stayed at home with their children and they found more satisfaction. My wife is essentially one of them and many women I know have.

My jobs slightly unique. As a cop the boomer generation are aging out. No one wants to do it based of the social pressures. The pay isnt great, it's not bad but far from great. I work for a mid sized department. We use to get 500 applicants. 50 would be a lot today. Over half dont make the background. A large percentage dont make the physical, medical etc. The list gets narrowed quick.
I feel your comment about women wanting to stay home is accurate. It's accurate for a lot of men too. For those who could work from home during this that opened a lot of eyes about what a pain in the ass and how expensive it is to commute. Hundreds of dollars per month and a solid two hours lost per day.

It's just so widespread. Manufacturing plants cannot get people at all. Restaurants. Education jobs are also a nightmare for social pressures. Young people don't want office jobs unless they're at a tech company.

Just doing a quick Google search about Baby Boomer retirements and 10,000 of them are retiring every day.

So depending on if we're talking about working days or calendar days that's anywhere from 200,000 to 300,000 people per month. That's just almost (sometimes more) people retiring than people being hired.

Give that pace two years. Say 250,000 boomers on average. That's 6,000,000 people retiring from most likely non-high tech related jobs.

The labor shortage is only going to get worse.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Follow Uno The Dog on IG at unofields
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Well our Boss retired and half of the workers quit also. They didnt want to work for the new owners, the entire body shop left, our service and parts managers left with out notice and really put us in a bind. I have 25 years in and the mechanic has 37 years in and we stayed we couldnt just walk out on all of customers it would not be fair to them. It has been a huge change in the way it is run. it is much more computerized in many ways. I am trying to transition in to the parts department but It may be a few years untill that happens since the other tech and myself are the only certified and trained Techs in the shop. Cant find any one willing to come and work as a tech. Oh well only another 18 years and I can retire. UFF DA
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

No execution of anything ever. Just these flights of fancy theories of some mystical ideal state?
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not any longer. She retired earlier this year. She was a supervisor in another county in our circuit but she was always trying to change shit on her whim. Hearing her nasally voice and just hearing her name used to piss me off.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

No execution of anything ever. Just these flights of fancy theories of some mystical ideal state?
Explain? I think my new head boss is kind of what you're talking about. He is changing the meaning of words, and essentially run the ship into the ground. Based on a vision he has, that is insane. My workplace has crumbled because of it.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:59 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:29 am Anybody here work with somebody that is just nothing but theory?

Explain? I think my new head boss is kind of what you're talking about. He is changing the meaning of words, and essentially run the ship into the ground. Based on a vision he has, that is insane. My workplace has crumbled because of it.
Naturally like every work project ever there's a KICK OFF (eye roll) then a series of never ending meetings about what the Mythical Ideal State looks like. Never mind about whether or not the Mythical Ideal State is achievable.

Down the rabbit hole we go. Three meetings about the exact same topic. No progress. Just getting everybody's opinion and making them feel included for the sake of them feeling included. No decisions ever. Just gathering everybody's feelings.

Yet the Mythical Ideal State is talked about as if it's Valinor (i.e. The Blessed Realm).

Nevermind that it may or may not be possible. It certainly won't be possible with the current level of staffing. Nobody wants to hear that part.

And around and around and around we go.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I understand what you mean but my job has very little of that. When we do have work groups that happens.

So like 20 years a few places tried to implement these systems to better production. Six sigma process excellent shit. Its essentially a failed system because of exactly what you describe.

My work implimented a bastardized version of it after I worked in a company that used six sigma principles. Things just grind down to individuals thoughts and non progression.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

In my case, usually it’s a person who is on the bubble flexing about some meaningless bullshit. OH DID YOU GET THAT EMAIL I SENT LAST NIGHT? Get a home life asshole.

Yes I saw the email when I logged in this morning.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Xee
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 am Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

In my case, usually it’s a person who is on the bubble flexing about some meaningless bullshit. OH DID YOU GET THAT EMAIL I SENT LAST NIGHT? Get a home life asshole.

Does the work culture promote/reward this? I previously worked in an industry that talked highly of people who "went the extra mile" but it was usually only the newbies who bought into it and would send emails like that or put in long hours when they were unnecessary. Those of us who had been around the block a few times knew it was a great way to get burned out with little return so we did what was required and barely anything more than that.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:51 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:50 am Any of you guys work with people who like to flex about sending emails off hours?

Does the work culture promote/reward this? I previously worked in an industry that talked highly of people who "went the extra mile" but it was usually only the newbies who bought into it and would send emails like that or put in long hours when they were unnecessary. Those of us who had been around the block a few times knew it was a great way to get burned out with little return so we did what was required and barely anything more than that.
Not in this case no.

This is a person who is on the bubble or at least I hope is. More and more responsibility is taken away from her. She'll flex about things like oh I sent that email at 11pm. Or openly advertise how busy she is.

It's nauseating to be around.

At a previous employer I had a boss that was at work until 10pm consistently. I left on time with regularity. As did most if not all of the other people. I would make conversation with people in the department, including that guy's boss, and all of them were like they have no idea what's going on with that. Totally unnecessary.

Another one that happened was a boss of mine that bragged about putting together a PowerPoint presentation on Thanksgiving. Like you're proud of that? She made comments in the past about how she would dread going on vacation with her husband.

My suspicion in most cases is a broken home life and these people needed an excuse to either not go home or not spend time with their family.

In terms of doing what's required, yeah I agree because more often than not going the extra mile gets punished and not rewarded. Hounded with stupid questions. Extra work in a special circumstance now becomes regularly expected work. That kind of thing.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I mean I dont understand "flexing" about it, but I've put together training plans on my own time. Generally because when training I actually care and want it to be good. I recently had to do a big purchase order at home because my work moved up the timeline, and it was important equipment. However I rarely do work at home unpaid unless it's what I consider important.

I dont think its impressive and generally unnecessary. You should be compensated if you are hourly for work. There can be exceptions.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am on call 24-7, 365, unless I am on vacation. The majority of calls are always in the 2a-430a range it seems like. Fucking delinquents can't get arrested at 8p, that would be too convenient.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:40 pm I am on call 24-7, 365, unless I am on vacation. The majority of calls are always in the 2a-430a range it seems like. Fucking delinquents can't get arrested at 8p, that would be too convenient.
Welp I've made some of those calls. As I work 10p-6a. "Hey so duechbag did a duechbag thing, will you put a hold on him?"

I only call for holds when it's legit but it pisses me off when they refuse. "Look douchebag is naked in the woods, and been doing meth for 7 days, I found him fucking a beanie baby , you got to put a hold on him." "Well what's the crime?"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

:rofl:

We have to go through a screening form in able to detain. If I know the kid or have heard he/she is a d bag, I am more than willing to fudge some information so they score high enough to be locked up. Whenever I need a point or 2 I ask the officer, "Did he/she pull away from you, turn away from you, you know resist?" Sometimes I talk the officers into additional charges. I always say the State's Attorney can file what they want anyway. I deal with a few officers who get pissed when I do not lock up a kid for Retail theft, and it is their first offense.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I work for a Fortune 50 company with an amazing corporate culture. There's no pressure to work off hours, and in fact it's the exact opposite. I'm a global account manager for the company, so I do end up working some nights on proposals and tedious account management shit. I deal with Directors, VP's and C-Level employees of other Fortune 500 companies, and usually find them to be pretty reasonable and straightforward. Maybe it's because we're such a vital part of their supply chain, or maybe I'm just charming :rofl: . Don't get me wrong, I deal with plenty of assholes and idiots. But I have found that if I just shut the assholes down and tell them that if they want my help/advice/direction, they need to be more polite, it usually works wonders. I have also learned in my 20 years of account management; 1. Don't take anything personally and be kind, 2. A good internal network will save your ass on a regular basis, 3. Turning any situation into a revenue generating opportunity is rewarding and pretty easy, 4. Life is short, stay present.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:12 am

I work for a Fortune 50 company with an amazing corporate culture. There's no pressure to work off hours, and in fact it's the exact opposite. I'm a global account manager for the company, so I do end up working some nights on proposals and tedious account management shit. I deal with Directors, VP's and C-Level employees of other Fortune 500 companies, and usually find them to be pretty reasonable and straightforward. Maybe it's because we're such a vital part of their supply chain, or maybe I'm just charming :rofl: . Don't get me wrong, I deal with plenty of assholes and idiots. But I have found that if I just shut the assholes down and tell them that if they want my help/advice/direction, they need to be more polite, it usually works wonders. I have also learned in my 20 years of account management; 1. Don't take anything personally and be kind, 2. A good internal network will save your ass on a regular basis, 3. Turning any situation into a revenue generating opportunity is rewarding and pretty easy, 4. Life is short, stay present.
It’s totally because you’re charming. I don’t doubt that for a minute.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:38 am I deal with a few officers who get pissed when I do not lock up a kid for Retail theft, and it is their first offense.
I dont know why anyone would be upset with that at least in my county but I have seen similar. I hate the guy on paper for DUI who gets arrested for another DUI and they refuse the hold. I get in my county its generally only safety/felony holds, but it's an easy revocation.
wab
Mod

This is also me.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:36 am

It’s totally because you’re charming. I don’t doubt that for a minute.
:wink: :toast: