random thoughts about stuff other than da Bears

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Duck and Cover! The Most Terrifying Airport Runways in the U.S.

interesting story

and I have had personal experience with "oh shit!" moments at both Chicago Midway and Reagan National Airport in DC
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

google the word "askew"
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Found out the other day the local high school social studies class teaches about "white privilege".

Anyone have thoughts on it?
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote:Found out the other day the local high school social studies class teaches about "white privilege".

Is the school sponsored by The Huffington Post?
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:Found out the other day the local high school social studies class teaches about "white privilege".

Is the school sponsored by The Huffington Post?
Lol.

I think it's odd. It is one of the best schools in the state. Majority white. I remember learning about "the glass ceiling". Some studies now show wage discrimination is basically gone when accounting for differences in things.

The issue is less to do with skin color and more to do with 3 basic things.

Poverty, education, and culture.

The kids that grew up in our local tailor Park generally were not successful. Because they grew up poor, with families that did not put education as a priority, and culturally accepted poor behavior. Unfortunately a high number of minorities grow up in similar environments. Something that should be looked at to fix the problem.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that is pretty awesome ...
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris, I was thinking about ya yesterday as I was sitting in Shorewood, IL. having a Portillos Italian Beef and Cheddar on a croissant. Had to top it off with a chocolate cake shake, OMG :hungry: It was fantastic.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Boris, I was thinking about ya yesterday as I was sitting in Shorewood, IL. having a Portillos Italian Beef and Cheddar on a croissant. Had to top it off with a chocolate cake shake, OMG :hungry: It was fantastic.

that does sound fantastic

every time I go back to visit friends and family, my first stop is White Castle, and then I eat them in the car on the way to my daughter's house ... then the first actual restaurant trip is to Portillos, a short drive from my daughter's house

after that, I'm up for anything food wise the rest of the trip ... just have to get my White Castle and Italian Beef fix first
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

We make runs to Chicago, Shriners Hospital for my daughter, and cannot get away without pizza or Italian Beef. Since we were there about 8 weeks ago and had Giordanos, Portillos it was.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:We make runs to Chicago, Shriners Hospital for my daughter, and cannot get away without pizza or Italian Beef. Since we were there about 8 weeks ago and had Giordanos, Portillos it was.

there are some really crappy deep dish pizza places on the east coast ... most have no idea what an actual deep dish pizza is ... so they serve up an extra thick crust with a normal layer of pizza toppings, meaning you are basically eating a loaf of bread with some pizza toppings

even the east coast Uno places don't do it right ... jerks
George Carlin
wab
Mod

For what it's worth, I've had Portillos shipped from Chicago to here in Dallas. It's not "exactly" the same, but it's pretty damn close.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:For what it's worth, I've had Portillos shipped from Chicago to here in Dallas. It's not "exactly" the same, but it's pretty damn close.

oh I do that all the time ... my gift to myself every so often when I feel the urge

I was happy a couple years ago to see actual chicago style giardiniera pop up in grocery stores ... haven't managed to convert any of the local sub shops to having chicago italian beef on the menu though ... it wouldn't be that hard if they had the interest ... the main component is the magical gravy/au jus, which is much different than any of the au jus dipping sauces you get with roast beef subs they sell

I have successfully used left over Portillos au jus with regular local bought shaved roast beef ... and it works, which extends the life of my Portillos gift
George Carlin
Stay_Cool
MVP

wab wrote:For what it's worth, I've had Portillos shipped from Chicago to here in Dallas. It's not "exactly" the same, but it's pretty damn close.
I've wanted to have this tried with salt lick BBQ from texas. Too scared it'll come nowhere near as good as in the restaurant

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

That 'S' Thing Everyone Drew in School, WHAT IS IT?

it kind of looks familiar to me but I don't recall it being all overt he place as the author of the article implies

and to be honest, when I look at it now it resembles the S at the beginning of a Chicago Biker gang from the 70's ... the Satan somethings ... violent bunch
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

It's just easy to draw and I'm sure lots of people are just copying it. Most are probably just some kid named Sam who found a can of spray paint and lives close to a train yard!
UOK
Site Admin

The diamond-S is one of those things that is easy to draw, but it also is, in its own odd simple way, a great method of demonstrating artistic creation. Some people who have never looked at themselves as capable of creating something unique or don't understand concepts behind seeing multiple layers to shape, form, space, and visual thinking might draw this and it could open the floodgates.

I know that's kind of an exaggeration perhaps, but it's these little things kids idly doodle in their notebooks that maybe makes some child or teenager interested in something enriching that would otherwise just kind of ignore that whole section of their brain.
Bad Flanders
MVP

My wife is an elementary art teacher and she would love what you just said. I have an undergrad degree in sculpture and art history and I love what you said, I love looking at the side of trains when they go by because every 3rd or 4th car has something graffitied on it that is more than just graffiti, it's something that someone really worked on. You are e exactly right too, it was something simple that gave me the confidence to move on to try harder and more complicated stuff. The degree isn't worth shit but the creativity and drive I got out of it has helped me a ton, even as a medical scientist, as weird as that might sound.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bad Flanders wrote:The degree isn't worth shit but the creativity and drive I got out of it has helped me a ton, even as a medical scientist, as weird as that might sound.
interesting you mention that ... a friend has a similar opinion on his degree (also Arts based) ... it didn't help him get a job and is not related to the job he has, but the experience of getting the degree helped him in other ways

so no, that doesn't sound weird at all
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Bad Flanders wrote:My wife is an elementary art teacher and she would love what you just said. I have an undergrad degree in sculpture and art history and I love what you said, I love looking at the side of trains when they go by because every 3rd or 4th car has something graffitied on it that is more than just graffiti, it's something that someone really worked on. You are e exactly right too, it was something simple that gave me the confidence to move on to try harder and more complicated stuff. The degree isn't worth shit but the creativity and drive I got out of it has helped me a ton, even as a medical scientist, as weird as that might sound.

It's something that I feel is very human and ingrained in our culture, species, and tradition. Self-expression and creativity requires an outlet, and because the job market doesn't typically reward artistic or creative-thinking driven professions without years of hard work and self-industry, parents encourage their children to focus on "realistic" careers that often have no merit beyond a safe paycheck and a steady, if not disappointing income.

I'm not saying everybody should strive to be an artist or musician, etc, but everybody should at some point be exposed to that world and challenge themselves, no matter what the age, to open that part of their minds.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It's something that I feel is very human and ingrained in our culture, species, and tradition. Self-expression and creativity requires an outlet, and because the job market doesn't typically reward artistic or creative-thinking driven professions without years of hard work and self-industry, parents encourage their children to focus on "realistic" careers that often have no merit beyond a safe paycheck and a steady, if not disappointing income.

I'm not saying everybody should strive to be an artist or musician, etc, but everybody should at some point be exposed to that world and challenge themselves, no matter what the age, to open that part of their minds.
well said :thumbsup:
George Carlin
Bad Flanders
MVP

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:It's something that I feel is very human and ingrained in our culture, species, and tradition. Self-expression and creativity requires an outlet, and because the job market doesn't typically reward artistic or creative-thinking driven professions without years of hard work and self-industry, parents encourage their children to focus on "realistic" careers that often have no merit beyond a safe paycheck and a steady, if not disappointing income.

well said :thumbsup:
+1

I took the long way around and got a fine arts degree before going back to get my med lab scientist degree that I actually use for employment now (I only have 3 undergrad degrees, two more minors, and 450 credit hours! LOL)

I'm a firm believer that "smart" is some sort of combination of knowledge + creativity.

When I decided to go back for this science degree, which is essentially a bunch of chemistry classes, I had always been good at science but just a so so student. I always had teachers who said I was smart but should work harder, stuff like that, I always took that to mean I was actually just dumb and that's how they say it politely. Then I wanted a better job than my art degree could get me and I thought I'd go back to school to be a lab tech and I was so nervous I actually tried for once and I ended up with a 4.0 (Summa Cum Laude), I tutored guys that are doctors now. I honestly don't know that I would've been able to do that without what I learned in art school. What I really learned in art school was how to finish something I had started, you think you can finish whatever you start because you are interested in it but even the most interesting subject becomes a chore after a while and as an artist, you are usually over whatever statement you are creating before you are actually done with the physical art, so it becomes work, and being able to see that work through to completion is what allowed me to have the confidence to start something like a chemistry degree like I did.

THAT SAID, I have three kids, my middle guy is an artist for sure, and I tend to cringe when I think of him going to school for art like I did. I went to college in the 90's and it was a state school, I remember paying $14 for 3 credit hours of required algebra! There's just not enough money for him to try and get 200 credit hours and then have to go looking for 200 more when he realizes he can't get a job with the first degree. If he is willing to move away from the midwest, then maybe he can get away with a real liberal arts degree like that but I'd sure feel more comfortable with him having an accounting degree first and THEN following through with something liberal after that! LOL

But I am proud of the path I took to keep learning right through adulthood, keep pressure on yourself to push into areas you've been interested in but didn't quite think you could handle. But give your kids enough self confidence to do the degree that makes money first!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Netflix - House of Cards finally collapses

I didn't begin watching House of Cards until after the first 2 seasons were done ... a person I was dating at the time suggested it, so I watched, and got hooked ... though even now I can't completely explain why ... maybe it had something to do with a couple of the characters reminding me of real life folks I worked with at the Treasury Department years ago

anyway, Season 6 is the latest, and last, season ... and it sucked

yeah, it had some moments to it, but overall it left the same feeling of empty disappointment for me as the last season of The Sopranos did
George Carlin