Cubs say goodbye to Kerry Wood

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Halas85
Assistant Coach

Shame to see him go, but it's probably for the best.

Cubs say goodbye to Kerry Wood
November 13, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Pitcher Kerry Wood and the Cubs will part ways after 14 years with the organization, general manager Jim Hendry said today.

After acquiring a potential closer in Florida's Kevin Gregg this morning, Hendry announced the Cubs would not try to re-sign Wood, who will be able to accept free-agent offers from other clubs on Friday.

Hendry met this week with Wood and his agent, Pat Rooney, and told him the Cubs were going in a different direction.

"I think we all feel that Kerry is certainly deserving of a three- or four-year contract," Hendry said. "He's done everything this organization has asked for the last 14 years, been a warrior the last couple of years. He's come back and health-wise stood the test of time, taken the ball every day we needed, and had no hang-ups, except for (missing one month with a blister injury).

"We're just in a situation, as Kerry fully understands, that that length of deal, for the kind of salary he'd command right now, is not our first priority. We certainly have to finish our rotation, we have offensive situations to address, and by having the prominence that (Carlos) Marmol now brings to the table, it certainly doesn't come before the other needs we have. We felt it was time Kerry goes out and does what's best for him and his family, and gets a huge multi-year deal if possible."

Wood, who came up in the Cubs organization as one of the team's most heralded prospects ever, had the longest tenure of any Cubs player on the 2008 roster.

The Cubs sent Double-A prospect Jose Ceda to the Marlin for Gregg, a right-handed reliever.

Whether Gregg will be a closer, as he was in Florida, or a set-up man depends on if Marmol is ready to step into a more significant role.

Either way, the Cubs are trying to maintain their options as they head into the free agent season, which officially kicks off on Friday, when teams can makes offers to free agents outside their organization.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
UOK
Site Admin

That sucks. Wood was a great cub, it's a shame he couldn't retire a Cubby. This will be Marmol's year to close looks like.
gaba
Head Coach

That does suck. For your sake (cubs fans) let's hope he doesn't sign with a rival. The only thing I can think of worse than watching Jim Edmonds win with the cubs, was watching him LOSE with them. Maybe worse though, would be winning without him. If the cubs were to finally get over the hump and win big next year, it'd be a shame not to have Wood around. It'd be like winning the Superbowl the year after Urlacher retires.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

He was my favorite Cub for the longest time. His 20-strikeout game was on my 16th birthday, I'll never forget it. Best of luck elsewhere Kerry, just not if/when you face my beloved Cubbies!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

not to fear Flubbie Faithful - Wood will hook up with another team, so you will probably be able to see him pitch a winning game or 2 in Wrigley next year ... for another team
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Fresh from the oven, Boris :flick:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Wood will probably win a World Series now.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

He'll look pretty good with the STL on his hat!
UOK
Site Admin

He'd fit right in with the rest of the cardinals crippled/deceased/shitty rotation.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:He'd fit right in with the rest of the cardinals crippled/deceased/shitty rotation.
Touché'
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Hope he doesn't hurt his arm waving good bye.
gaba
Head Coach

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:He'd fit right in with the rest of the cardinals crippled/deceased/shitty rotation.
Sadly yes, but I could still find it in my heart to root for him. Mostly because I know how much it sucked to see Jimmy in those lame-ass electric blue pinstripes and he wasn't even our guy originally. Wood is a fairly young guy. He's a cubbies draft pick and a product of the farm system. Very few players are THAT connected to a team. cub-fan has been waiting for 14 years to see this kid amount to something. Well, hopefully your time has come. Leaving the cubs was the best thing that ever happened to Lou Brock. Maybe he can give Wood some advice on what to do from here. (Realizing you're allowed to WIN is going to be a big adjustment.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!