Obama's Grandmother Died today; Age 86

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

I know some people wanted to make it sound like Obama was just "playing politician" and using his grandmothers ailments as a ploy for sympaythy, but its true. & Those people are heartless jackasses.

Full Story Here:
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/03/ ... index.html

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama's grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, has died following a bout with cancer, Obama and his sister, Maya Soetoro-Ng, said Monday.

Barack Obama and his grandmother Madelyn Dunham are seen together in this photo from 1979.
1 of 2

She was 86.

At a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, Monday night, the Illinois senator said "she has gone home and she died peacefully in her sleep with my sister at her side."

"I'm not going to talk about it long because it's hard to talk about," he added.

Obama remembered her as "one of those quiet heroes we have across America, who aren't famous ... but each and every day they work hard. They look after their families. They look after their children and their grandchildren."

In a statement released Monday afternoon, Obama and his sister said that Dunham was "the cornerstone of our family, and a woman of extraordinary accomplishment, strength, and humility." Watch CNN contributors discuss Obama's grandmother »

"She was the person who encouraged and allowed us to take chances. She was proud of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren and left this world with the knowledge that her impact on all of us was meaningful and enduring. Our debt to her is beyond measure."

Don't Miss
McCain, Obama urge votes, volunteers
1 day left and still undecided
Obama and Soetoro-Ng asked that donations be made for the search for a cure for cancer in lieu of flowers. A small private ceremony will be held "at a later date."

Dunham passed away peacefully at her home shortly before midnight Sunday night (5 a.m. ET), campaign spokeswoman Jen Psaki told CNN. She said Obama learned of her death around 8 a.m.

UOK
Site Admin

That sucks for him. I can't really comment on the political side of this, but I can't fathom the day I lose my grandma. It's going to be one of the darkest days of my life, for sure. She's a great person and an inspiration. My condolences to Barack's family.
MamaBear
Player of the Month

That really sucks that she didn't make it til after tomorrow! Or, maybe it sucks. I guess we'll see. I definately send my condolences. Terrible to lose a grandparent, especially one that was practically a mother to him. I wonder why this is the first time we hear she had cancer? Guess she must have wanted it that way. If he wins tomorrow, I would think it would be a bitter-sweet day for him. That really does sucks. I hate cancer!
gaba
Head Coach

Just one day short of seeing him elected president. Cancer sucks and it's probably good that she's no longer in pain, but the timing couldn't be worse. It's a real shame. I can't imagine dealing with this pain on top of the insane amount of stress the family is under right now.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
G08
Hall of Famer

Is this the grandmother with the broken hip that Obama went to visit?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Pagan
MVP

G08 wrote:Is this the grandmother with the broken hip that Obama went to visit?
Yes G08- the grandmother that raised him. It was only reported that she was gravely ill and that she had a broken hip. I dont believe her type of illness was mentioned so some who wanted to skew the thing made it out like it was a ploy.

Thats rough.
IE
Hall of Famer

How proud she must have been. RIP, Grammy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Ormazd
MVP

Pagan wrote:
G08 wrote:Is this the grandmother with the broken hip that Obama went to visit?
Yes G08- the grandmother that raised him. It was only reported that she was gravely ill and that she had a broken hip. I dont believe her type of illness was mentioned so some who wanted to skew the thing made it out like it was a ploy.

Thats rough.
No doubt Rush will be making his apologies on the air today.