Mod

Goddammit
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

here is probably one of the best write ups of Game of Thrones I have seen ... the writer of the article (a critic from the Washington Post) even admits he wishes he could take back his initial review of the series a couple years back because he admits now he simply didn't get it
To do real justice to “Game of Thrones,” I’d have to quit my job and tackle those 4,000 or so unread pages of George R.R. Martin’s series of five fantasy novels on which the finely crafted HBO series is based. There just isn’t that sort of time in my sort of world. “Game of Thrones,” which begins its third season Sunday night, is like no other TV show around right now — brilliant, exasperating, enthralling, and, if you let it become so, hard work.

It’s rare that I want take-backs as a critic, but it still pains me to encounter my first “Game of Thrones” review in the archives, in which I was too dismissive of the show when it began in 2011. I was right about a couple of things — “Game of Thrones” is and always will be a tad supercilious — and wrong about what I perceived to be its barrier to entry, which only revealed my bias against the tropes of fantasy. (Swords, dragons, castles, women as subservient wenches, etc.)

Yet for all its daunting and deliberate complexity, “Game of Thrones” succeeds because it accommodates both the casual viewer and the rabid fanatic, which is a nearly impossible trick in an age in which we ingest television and other media in the manner of a chicken who has outsmarted the Skinner box. Even more difficult is to make a big-budget nerd-out such as “Game of Thrones” resonate so completely with more fickle audiences, who are constantly calculating their time investment (and the amount of their cable bills) against measurable satisfaction.
full story = http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertain ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't begin reading the actual books until after I had seen Season 1 of the HBO Series ... then I bought the 4 book set off Amazon, and devoured the first 2 books non-stop over the course of my workday commute, and am through Book 3, but will put any additional reading on hold until after the series is over so I am not dealing with competing storylines in my head

but when you consider the fact a television series inspires people to pick up a book and read, that puts it on its own level of goodness

and I think everyone should simply adopt an open mind ... as the writer of the article states, this effort is inspiring and imminently watchable to both the hard core fans who will dissect each plot line in detail as well as the casual fan who simply wants something they can lose themselves in over the course of an episode ... as the critic goes on to say further in his article :
In this regard, “Game of Thrones” is a masterpiece in the making, now entering the hallowed territory of “The Wire.” It demands your attention, but it also rewards any effort you give it, no matter how small. Part of the pleasure is in letting it wash over you, admiring its craftwork. “Game of Thrones” revels in the epic breadth of its source material, but never forgets that some of us slobs are simply watching television.

I don’t use the word “simply” as a meaningless adverb here. There is perhaps no more simple watcher of “Game of Thrones” than yours truly. I never ask “Who’s that again?” during an episode anymore. I don’t reach for my phone to look it up. I just bask in what’s happening and let it take hold.

I feel strongly about representing this particular viewer demographic whenever the show comes up in conversation, insisting that one can be ill-prepared for “Game of Thrones” and still partake in it, just like you needn’t know what’s going on with every work in a museum to appreciate it. Having seen the first four episodes of this new season, I couldn’t stop thinking about the highest compliment paid by the basement-dwelling Wayne and Garth in “Saturday Night Live” episodes of yore: We’re not worthy!

:thumbsup: :clap:
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

I always look up Alan Sepinwall's reviews after each episode (as well as for other shows); he usually notes anything I miss and he does a great job of keeping spoilers out of the comments for those of us who haven't read the books:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... urning-man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UOK
Site Admin

I read the AV Club's Game of Thrones (For Experts) reviews after every ep. Good stuff.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/tvshow/gam ... perts,175/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

The third season of Game of Thrones debuted on Sunday, returning viewers to the epic and often heartbreaking fantasy world of the HBO drama. Wired spoke with Kit Harington (Jon Snow), Rose Leslie (Ygritte), Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark), Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) and Natalie Dormer (Margaery Tyrell) about what fans have to look forward to this season.

Although the previous two seasons of the show have remained quite faithful to the plot of the original books by George R. R. Martin — give or take a few minor differences — Turner, who plays the eldest daughter of Ned Stark, warned that “[in] season 3, there are kind of bigger differences. The book readers will be super shocked.”

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/ ... 3-preview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so ... is the "super shocked" going to be a good thing?

also, according to this article, there are going to be books 6 and 7 coming
George Carlin
Forebears
Practice Squad

Episode 4, "And Now His Watch Is Ended", of this season is probably my favorite episode thus far. Just plain kick ass...Read all the books by GRRM and they do a pretty good job following it. Problem is that Martin's books are so massive that something will be missed and piss the diehards off. So far there's nothing to be pissed about.
FaithInCutler
MVP

we have a GOT THREAD?? I live for this show each week. Thanks for all the links to the reviews!
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Stay_Cool
MVP

FaithInCutler wrote:we have a GOT THREAD?? I live for this show each week. Thanks for all the links to the reviews!
I watch it for the nudity... my GF is obsessed with it though so fight scenes and nudity are what I go for.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
FaithInCutler
MVP

you know there are a lot better things to watch for nudity right?
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Stay_Cool
MVP

FaithInCutler wrote:you know there are a lot better things to watch for nudity right?
The problem is my GF watched like the first 1 and a half seasons before me and refuses to let me get caught up... but she also refuses to watch it without me and I don't wanna ruin the experience. Soooo what I do is play games on my phone and she informs me when there is a fight scene or nudity on. Also, the midget is a bad ass.
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the cutie with the dragons has been kicking some serious ass this season ... that is a good thing

Daenerys Targaryen, aka Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen

some of the show's details do go on a much different path than the books ... Robb Stark, and his actions, immediately come to mind ... the show has simply pushed off Robb's backing out of the marriage arrangement as being no big deal, contrary to what was written

but, I am loving what is happening to Theon on the show though ... such a weak shithead ... and now being treated as he should be ... in the books, his fate is even more violent in case you were wondering
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

What they did to him last week was plenty cringe-worthy for my tastes.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

for anyone who hasn't read the books, I am sure this last episode ("The Rains of Castamere"), featuring the Red Wedding, came as quite a shock ... can't say much more without revealing spoilers

as a sidenote, I wonder if the little shit who plays Joffrey has people wanting to beat the shit out of him in real life? I mean he is 100% despicable .... which makes you wonder how he can get that deep into douche land unless he really has some of those depths for real

he even looks like someone you want to punch in the face on sight

George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

If I met him, I'd have to fight the urge to punch him in the face... which I think says a lot about the job he's doing.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

Is that...is that Gaba?
gaba
Head Coach

CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

gaba wrote:Image
The perfect response.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, Season 3 ends with Jaime Lannister in a less than triumphant return and Tywin Lannister sending little lord shithead off to bed

I'm guessing Season 4 will begin with all Lannisters on deck at least for the first few episodes ... will be interesting to see how they will handle future events ... true to the book, or amplified for effect? or perhaps a nice mix to appease the readers and non-readers?

George Carlin
Paulo83
Journeyman

I watched the first two seasons and was absolutely hooked, so I decided to get the books for my Kindle and give them a read. One of the best choices I've ever made. Absolute epic series.

For those asking, yeah the books can be quite different to the TV series, but HBO have done them justice. The stuff with Theon Greyjoy was even more brutal in the book. I've been slightly disappointed with how the Jon Snow/The Wall/Wildlings story has been portrayed on screen. I thought his story has been the best in the books up to now. They've wasted Thormund Giantsbane as well. That guy is hilarious in the books.

The TV series has been excellently cast. Rather than go through them all characters, I'll just pick out a few of the best. Charles Dance has been magnificent as the mighty Tywin Lannister. Lena Headey is everything you expect Queen Cersei to be. Jack Gleeson has been a right wicked (but excellent) bastard as King Joffrey. I also really like Danish chap who plays Jaime Lannister. He looks like the Prince Charming character out of Shrek!

I'll leave it there. I could go on all night about Game of Thrones...
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

some pretty funny stuff here

24 Reasons Why George R.R. Martin Is The Biggest Troll In Literature Right Now

I like #11
11. He’s just sitting there, toying with his fans.

George Carlin
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I just finished the 2nd season.

So far, they should just rename the show "The bad guys always win fuck you"

But no srsly, good show.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Season 4 Trailer

[video][/video]

and, a longer more in depth preview of what Season 4 has in store

[video][/video]

I think this made me anticipate the upcoming season even more than the trailer did ... and the trailer set a good hook, at least for me

I find it interesting they say the good guys are making a comeback in Season 4 ... up until now, the entire series could be summed up by
KOP_Snake wrote:So far, they should just rename the show "The bad guys always win fuck you"
which is right on the mark ... should be some nice twists and turns this season, started by havoc with the Lannisters and then just going from there
George Carlin
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:for anyone who hasn't read the books, I am sure this last episode ("The Rains of Castamere"), featuring the Red Wedding, came as quite a shock ... can't say much more without revealing spoilers

as a sidenote, I wonder if the little shit who plays Joffrey has people wanting to beat the shit out of him in real life? I mean he is 100% despicable .... which makes you wonder how he can get that deep into douche land unless he really has some of those depths for real

he even looks like someone you want to punch in the face on sight

Sorry if this ruins anything for you, but here's an interview panel thing where he seems like a perfectly nice kid:

[video][/video]
gaba
Head Coach

I've seen that, and it just makes his performance that much more impressive. I know full well he's acting, but if I met him I might still have to stifle the urge to stab the little fucker.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I've seen that, and it just makes his performance that much more impressive. I know full well he's acting, but if I met him I might still have to stifle the urge to stab the little fucker.

I'm with gaba on this

and if he is a genuinely nice real person, then he has some genuine acting chops to transform into the despicable Joffrey, a character with absolutely no redeeming value or humanity

so kudos to him
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

[video][/video]
johnthn
Rookie

I'm super excited about the upcoming season. There have been some great (partly fan made) trailers out there, Mother of Dragons is getting serious!
JarHead
Pro Bowler

Just finished re-watching the entire series again this week..... I am ready!