View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Search for:
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 pm 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 1189
wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.


It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"


I watched the show on Hulu with a 4K TV and I couldn't see shit during the whole fight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm
Posts: 1230
Location: Peoples Republic of Virginia
I rewatched it with brightness maxed. A lot better.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.


it certainly resulted in a lot of death and destruction ... and the preview for the next episode showed the Dragon Queen talking about winning the next battle ... I mean, who do they have left to even fight?


wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"


was this just a problem with your apps? I watched on HBO via my DirecTV and had no issues

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am 
Online
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am
Posts: 19943
Location: Champaign, IL
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.


it certainly resulted in a lot of death and destruction ... and the preview for the next episode showed the Dragon Queen talking about winning the next battle ... I mean, who do they have left to even fight?


wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"


was this just a problem with your apps? I watched on HBO via my DirecTV and had no issues



It's a mixed answer. I stream through an AppleTV from 2014 or so, and the HBO NOW app/web client is kind of crap as it is. Lot of people who streamed on their PCs had similar issues.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm 
Offline
MVP
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:08 pm
Posts: 1230
Location: Peoples Republic of Virginia
It wasn't any better on the live HBO feed via FIOS.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
UOK wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.


it certainly resulted in a lot of death and destruction ... and the preview for the next episode showed the Dragon Queen talking about winning the next battle ... I mean, who do they have left to even fight?


wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"


was this just a problem with your apps? I watched on HBO via my DirecTV and had no issues


It's a mixed answer. I stream through an AppleTV from 2014 or so, and the HBO NOW app/web client is kind of crap as it is. Lot of people who streamed on their PCs had similar issues.


it was a much darker episode than usual for sure, but I was able to adjust the tv so I could see well enough

as a note, the darkness of the episode was noticeable enough that it warranted an actual news story ... and in that story, the creators said the lighting was like that on purpose and by design

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Offline
Crafty Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:51 pm
Posts: 801
Location: Chicago, IL
Yeah, I have to believe the lighting was pretty much an artistic choice, both to set the mood and to reflect "the night is dark and full of terrors".

The fog/blizzard, the Dothraki flames going dark, the hide-and-seek scene with Arya and the wights. All part of the Living army not knowing what exactly was happening.

_________________
KFFL refugee.

This space for rent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:27 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
they could have possibly improved the lighting a bit without losing the intended effects of it being night ... but there is no doubt having that battle at night was the right call and the resulting chaos seemed to be an appropriate approach to this showdown which was completed by the surprise hero

at least that was a surprise to me anyway ... and I won't spoil it by going into the details of that in case some haven't seen the episode yet

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm
Posts: 14619
Location: World Championsville
I was watching via Xfinity on my OLED and we couldn't see shit either. Glad it wasn't just us!

_________________
Image

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy


Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 am 
Offline
Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am
Posts: 14454
Location: The Bear Nebula
I'm not sure what to make of how this final season is going ... and the episode this past Sunday was to me a confusing mess ... it was almost like they forced 2 episodes into 1 and in doing so bypassed parts of things in an unsatisfying way

maybe their rush to do too much is why a Starbucks coffee cup made it into the episode (HBO has now digitally edited the episode to remove it - https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/5/7/ ... ks-removed )

a few strange and unfortunate twists in the story line had me scratching my head

so the first 2 episodes of season 8 were satisfying, but these last 2 weren't IMO for a multitude of reasons that can't be discussed without revealing spoilers

_________________
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula


Top
 Profile  
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group