View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Search for:
 Post subject: Re: Game of Thrones
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:06 pm 
MVP

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.

It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"

I watched the show on Hulu with a 4K TV and I couldn't see shit during the whole fight.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 am 
MVP

I rewatched it with brightness maxed. A lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am 
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
What a crazy episode last night. The ending was 50% shock and 50% head scratcher.

it certainly resulted in a lot of death and destruction ... and the preview for the next episode showed the Dragon Queen talking about winning the next battle ... I mean, who do they have left to even fight?

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:
It was intensely stressful, namely because the HBO GO servers were trash and the episode was shown with approximately 1% illumination, so for 90 minutes my girlfriend and I watched a bunch of dark blurry pixels flurry around chunks of fire.

Right? I was yelling at the TV "did he die?! who was that!? wait...what happened there!?"

was this just a problem with your apps? I watched on HBO via my DirecTV and had no issues

BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:

it certainly resulted in a lot of death and destruction ... and the preview for the next episode showed the Dragon Queen talking about winning the next battle ... I mean, who do they have left to even fight?

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:

was this just a problem with your apps? I watched on HBO via my DirecTV and had no issues

It's a mixed answer. I stream through an AppleTV from 2014 or so, and the HBO NOW app/web client is kind of crap as it is. Lot of people who streamed on their PCs had similar issues.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:50 pm 
MVP

It wasn't any better on the live HBO feed via FIOS.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:16 am 
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
wab wrote:

wab wrote:
UOK wrote:

It's a mixed answer. I stream through an AppleTV from 2014 or so, and the HBO NOW app/web client is kind of crap as it is. Lot of people who streamed on their PCs had similar issues.

it was a much darker episode than usual for sure, but I was able to adjust the tv so I could see well enough

as a note, the darkness of the episode was noticeable enough that it warranted an actual news story ... and in that story, the creators said the lighting was like that on purpose and by design

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:24 am 
Crafty Veteran

Yeah, I have to believe the lighting was pretty much an artistic choice, both to set the mood and to reflect "the night is dark and full of terrors".

The fog/blizzard, the Dothraki flames going dark, the hide-and-seek scene with Arya and the wights. All part of the Living army not knowing what exactly was happening.

This space for rent.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 11:27 am 
Hall of Famer

they could have possibly improved the lighting a bit without losing the intended effects of it being night ... but there is no doubt having that battle at night was the right call and the resulting chaos seemed to be an appropriate approach to this showdown which was completed by the surprise hero

at least that was a surprise to me anyway ... and I won't spoil it by going into the details of that in case some haven't seen the episode yet

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm 
Hall of Famer

I was watching via Xfinity on my OLED and we couldn't see shit either. Glad it wasn't just us!

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:31 am 
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what to make of how this final season is going ... and the episode this past Sunday was to me a confusing mess ... it was almost like they forced 2 episodes into 1 and in doing so bypassed parts of things in an unsatisfying way

maybe their rush to do too much is why a Starbucks coffee cup made it into the episode (HBO has now digitally edited the episode to remove it - https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2019/5/7/ ... ks-removed )

a few strange and unfortunate twists in the story line had me scratching my head

so the first 2 episodes of season 8 were satisfying, but these last 2 weren't IMO for a multitude of reasons that can't be discussed without revealing spoilers

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next