who says GTA has no redeeming value?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

6-year-old takes family car after missing bus

Tue Jan 6, 3:44 pm ET

WICOMICO CHURCH, Va. (AP) – A 6-year-old Virginia boy who missed his bus tried to drive to school in his family's sedan — and crashed. His parents were charged with child endangerment. State police said the boy suffered only minor injuries and authorities drove him to school after he was evaluated at a local hospital for a bump on his head. He arrived shortly after lunch, Sgt. Tom Cunningham said.

It happened around 7:40 a.m. Monday on Route 360, about 61 miles east of Richmond.

The boy, whose name wasn't released, missed the bus, took the keys to his family's 2005 Ford Taurus and drove nearly six miles toward school while his mother was asleep, police said.

He made at least two 90-degree turns, passed several cars and ran off the rural two-lane road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole about a mile and a half from school.

The boy told police he learned to drive playing Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam video games.

"He was very intent on getting to school," said Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins. "When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE."

His parents, Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, 26, and David Eugene Dodson, 40, are each charged with child endangerment, Wilkins said. Waltman is being held without bond. Dodson was released on a $5,000 bond.

It was not clear if they had attorneys.

The boy and his 4-year-old brother were placed in protective custody.

"This really is a story of miracles," Wilkins said. "The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

well, I suppose the redeeming part is that he was dedicated to getting to school and not just going on a joy ride
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

Come on kid... if you're learning from GTA, don't steal a freakin Ford Taurus!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

gaba
Head Coach

Jeez, if it weren't so damned scary, this'd be almost cute. I wish I could say I can't imagine someone leaving a 6-year-old to get to school on their own, but living where I live I see it every day. At least, if nothing else, these kids learn to take care of themselves... provided they survive of course.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Why waste time playing GTA when you could be playing Call of Duty World At War?