Mattresses

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

MamaBear
Player of the Month

Well, I'm just full of questions for you guys lately! Just like a woman, right? Sorry! At least it's the off-season! :ashamed:

We are getting ready to buy ourselves a new bed and mattress. Upgrading from the hard as a fucking rock standard we inherited from my grandparents to a much more comfy king-size, maybe even california king. But I have no clue what kind of mattress I should get. Anybody have a mattress they love or one they hate? I'm really kind of nervous about this. I mean, how much can you really tell about a mattress from laying on it for 15 seconds? I have a neck and upper back that are constantly sore and I think a better mattress will make a big difference. I just have no idea what mattress I should get and I don't want to guess when $1000+ is involved! Any advice?
gaba
Head Coach

Mattress shopping sucks. I've never been happy with a new mattress. We bought one last year and hated it. I eventually traded the box springs with the old set. Now I've got the new "way to hard" mattress on the old beat-down box-spring (it's a little better that way) and we both prefer to sleep on the old sack of springs and stuffing that is our old mattress, which is now on the new box-springs. Both are a little better (the hard one is a little less hard and the beat-down one is a little less beat-down) but neither is perfect. Those Select Comfort beds look perfect (if you don't like the mattress add or remove a little air. Perfect, huh?) but when you really get to looking at them, it's just an air mattress with a fancy cover. I'd like to try one of those memory foam jobbers, but that's getting up there in the price range. Maybe a thick topper would help my current concrete slab feel a little softer.

Of course, it seems like I get the best night's sleep on the air bed we use for camping. If it were a little more durable I might make the switch permanently.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Ha! I get a grand night's sleep on our air matress too but you have to contribute most of that to the fresh air and stars....I think! First time I went camping with my husband and he experienced the air mattress he said, "damn, this makes or breaks camping!" Yes sir it does!

Well, shit. You just made me more nervous about tomorrow, thanks a lot! :) One time I stayed at The Weston in Cinci (my dad got kickass prices on priceline) and it was like sleeping on a cloud, I want something like that.......

whoa! I looked it up and I can GET ONE!!! http://www.whotelsthestore.com/item.asp ... 5&cat_id=2
gaba
Head Coach

I think the feather-bed is the most important part.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I've had a waterbed since 3rd grade.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Wait a damn minute, I think that first link I posted was some kind of rip-off. I CAN have the Heavenly Bed but it will cost me twice as much as the original site's. http://www.westin-hotelsathome.com/cart ... c6f992f741 Sigh. Back to square one.

Imp - My first really serious boyfriend had a water bed. It was sloshy. Made it quite hard to be discreet, not that we tried very hard. Ahh, good times. A waterbed is a PITA though.
gaba
Head Coach

I think they'd be comfortable with one person if you can stay pretty much still all night. I could never sleep in one myself and I sure as hell couldn't share one with my bed-hog wife.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

We've had a Select Comfort for a couple years, and love it. It's kinda like an air mattress principle, but actually provides support. The cool thing is my wife likes her side firmer than I do, and we're both happy.
gaba
Head Coach

I've heard that they're not very well constructed and are so lightweight that they're a little difficult to keep on the foundation. Does the cover actually have any structural value or is it pretty much just a way to make it look like it's worth all the money you paid for it?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mattress shopping is being turned into car shopping - idiotic sleazy salespeople who may or may not know their product, trying to talk you into something you really don't need.

There is a mattress chain store in our area called 'Sleepys' . Their sales staff is low key and will provide you with as much or as little dialogue on the products as you want. We got a very nice mattress we are very happy with (king size ... no box spring because we have a platform bed). It wasn't their "ultra-lush" model nor their basic dorm room type, but we have had it over a year and are still as happy as were were when it was brand new.

And, we went ahead and signed up for their interest free 1 year payment plan. 9 easy monthly payments later, done.

So I recommend them as a chain to look into for your mattress. Just go in, say hello, and start trying out mattresses until you find 3 you like. THEN ask for the details on just the ones you are interested in and try them again before making your choice.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
G08
Hall of Famer

I don't know how much of a help this is but I've found beds with pillowtops to be very comfortable.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Well, I wish we had a Sleepys. We don't. I think we are going to get a bed from the same place we got our living room suite - Francis Furniture. My husband's friend Trent used to work there and said if we asked for "Adam" he would get us a good deal. Funny thing is, that was the same dude that sold us the living room furniture. Wish we'd known Trent back then! So they were doing a mattress clearance thing and all they had left was queens and we definately wanted a king. So he's going to call me within the next week or so when he gets the new stuff in and get us a headboard, bed frame, box springs and mattress for around $1500, delivery included. The mattress I REALLY liked was Scandinavian Beds but those were WAY out of our price range, maybe some day. The mattress I settled on was Comfort Sensations by King Koil and it HAS a pillow top. Good call, G08. Didn't lay down on one bed that I liked that didn't have a pillowtop.