Love for McCain

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Halas85
Assistant Coach

It looks like Obama's going to clean up tonight, and in celebrating the victory (Obama supporters), let's not forget that John McCain remains a guy who deserves a lot of respect and thanks from everyone in this country. It sounds funny for an Obama guy to say this, but McCain should have been a president of this country. He was my guy in 2000, and I only wish I would have had a chance to vote for him instead of Gore that year. And while I think this time around McCain was a victim of both timing and a few unwise campaign decisions (IMO), he's still a man to be honored for his service to this country and his willingness to be the black sheep within a party that doesn't take too kindly to dissension.

One guy on CNN tonight said, "McCain is a man who gave everything for his country." I'm not so sure he didn't hit the nail on the head. And while I wasn't willing to support him over Obama this time around, it certainly wasn't a sign of my disrespect for this man.
Last edited by Halas85 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
G08
Hall of Famer

Very classy, Halas85. I've never been a strong backer of Senator McCain, but I won't ever disrespect the man for what he did for this country.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

sorry, but I respectfully disagree

back in 2000, THAT John McCain? sure ... and he would have had my vote ... then he sold his soul to the anti-christ and became what he is today - Bush's mini-me

maybe it is senility taking root ... maybe it is the whore side of politicians that can sometimes be very publicly ugly ... but he sold out on his followers, and trashed his own ideals, all for the sake of being the next Repugnant-can goose-stepping party machine man

now, if you want to dust off the history book and talk about respect for a soldier who served his country in time of war, I'm with you ... but that guy is long gone

so for the modern day McCain, respect? here ya go John :fuwave:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I've lost a lot of respect for the man during this campaign, but I like his concession speech. He's won back some of that respect tonight. Right or wrong, I still admire the man.

Of course, that's easy to say now.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Pagan
MVP

Of course I can see both sides of this. I respect McCain a little more for his speech tonight, but come on= have you ever heard a concession speech that didnt say the same things? Also, you remember hearing all of the boos that kept interupting McCain every time he tried to compliment President Obama? (got a nice ring to it). It all falls back to mccain and palin running a disrespectful campaign, their followers have been hammered with all of this negative crap non stop- now mccain wants to take the high road? For me its a little late for that, but on the other hand I like the highroad. I can see things better from up there.

pagan
gaba
Head Coach

Yeah... I'm just feeling too good to hold grudges.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

I feel like McCain abandoned the principles of what made him a great politician in order to play the part his campaign directors wanted him to play the last few years. I feel like now that the facade is over he can focus on returning to his roots and serve the senate proudly as he's done his country for many years. I wish him well.

As for Palin, I hope she has fun getting soundly rejected in 2012 for the GOP nomination. I hope her ass rots in Alaska for the rest of her life, may she never once approach the white house for any reason other than getting her pic taken with President Obama.
gaba
Head Coach

I don't really hate McCain. I hate everything he stands for (at least in this election) but I don't hate the guy. On the other hand... I have NEVER wanted to see someone lose more than I wanted to see Palin lose. She has ABSO-F*&KING-LUTELY NO business in the position she's in. It's completely ridiculous that she was taken seriously as a candidate and it's very sad that the election was as close as it was. It makes me very ashamed of my neighbors. As of now, it looks like Missouri's finally done counting (they had to wait until Kansas was done because no one in Missouri can count that high) and McCain won the state by a handful of votes. It makes me sick to my stomach...

... but only for a second.

GO-BAMA!!!
:banana: :grovel: :cheers: :thumbsup: :clap:
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

and this is what pisses me off so much about politics ...

back in 2000, when I would have voted for him if given the chance because he was the clear cut best candidate out there in my opinion, but was not blessed by the party machine ... so instead of being embraced as a valued team member, he was abused by his own so they could foist the village idiot upon us

and McCain stayed a class act, even through being accused of being an enemy collaborator during his time as a P.O.W.

but then, the machine got to him ... told him to sell his soul and the machine would be his when his time came (which was 8 years too late) ... and he did, betraying his followers and trashing his own values for the sake of grabbing that brass ring

sad stuff ... but an interesting study on how modern day politics can be

his concession speech was impressive ... but I will hold off thinking of him as anything more than a typical soulless political hack who talks a good game until he proves, with his actions, he meant what he said
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

McCain's own rallies kind of did him in. I think he's been extremely bothered by the fact that his rallys are often filled with people who are not so much pro-McCain as they are anti-Obama. Ignorant people who are scared that Obama is going to let terrorists into the country because his middle name is Hussein, and because he's an arab/muslim. People that think it's too risky to elect a black man into office when a white man is on the ballot. People that think a woman's choice is not hers to make and that homosexuals are the scum of the earth. The stupid, back-minded ignorant under-culture that crawls out from under their rock whenever they find their "traditions" threatened, fearing change and the loss of a white culture in power. When they're not busy sending email forwards calling Obama either racial slurs or a muslim insult of some kind, they would attend McCain's rally's and spew messages of hate. Shame on them!!

When giving his mopey concession speech, McCain, who's ass clearly hurt from the kicking it took all that evening, was trying to gracefully slide out of the picture. Unfortunately he had to keep quieting a raucus and riot-worthy crowd. The scales could've tipped that night into something ugly if Palin had spoken. Thankfully her phony ass stayed on stage left.

This is over, yes, for the next 4 years. Let's just all, as decent people, hope that Sarah Palin never again emerges her head in national politics.
Ormazd
MVP

I voted for McCain in the 2000 primary, and can't help wondering how different things might be if he had won. I lost some respect for that guy during the course of this whorish campaign. I hope it won't tarnish his legacy too much.

The toxic Republican party should thank this warrior for making the ultimate sacrifice. He fell on his sword for them in an election year when Ronald Reagan or Abraham Lincoln probably couldn't have won.
makaur
Pro Bowler

McCain's greatest mistakes during this election:

1) Will the real John McCain please stand up?. I put this one at the top. I still would have voted for Obama, but had John McCain ran for President the way he did in 2000.....he would not have lost Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana, Iowa, Nevada, Colorado, Ohio, Florida, and would possibly have won Pennsylvannia, New Hampshire, and quite possibly both Wisconsin and Minnesota. Those states would have put him in the White House, but instead he chose (read #2 below)........

2) Going negative. I'll get to Sarah Palin in a second, but the first mistake after #1 above IMO was resorting to Karl Rove tactics. That sh*t might have worked in the past, but painting your opponent as something he's not when the country (and world) are in turmoil, people are losing their jobs/homes/health insurance.....and all you have to say is negative and untrue statements about your opponent? And you expect to win with that garbage? Sorry, the American people weren't fooled this time.

3) Sarah Palin. I put this one third only because McCain was leading in national polls for a while, after he announced her as his running mate. However, if the Katie Couric interview told us one thing about the woman, she was obviously selected because she's a hot piece of @ss that would appeal to the far right and nothing more. However, the massive sh*t that my dog took this morning has more knowledge of the issues than Palin. If McCain's strategists thought that he'd win by selecting a woman to offset Barack Obama being Af. American, then he should have selected either Sen. Olympia Snow (NH) or Sen. Kay Bailey-Hutchison (TX). Either one of them were far more qualified and would shred Palin in every aspect of politcs.

4) Accepting public money. Of course, the real mistake was complaining about Obama going back on his word about public finance. Seriously, when the RNC can help you raise as much or more money as your opponent, but you choose public financing (limiting your spending), then you're doomed to failure....especially since before the decision was made, Obama had privately raised 1/4 of a billion dollars.

5). Ties to extremists. I put this one last because overall, I don't think it would have made much of an effect either way you look at it. However, the fact that McCain constantly brought up Obama's "association" with people like Ayers, the PLO guy, or just in the last week rehashing the Jeremiah Wright comments.....what happened is people saw that as desperation and nothing more. Those "associations" were dissected to pieces during the Dem. nomination process. I know, I was an Obama volunteer at the time....and since it didn't influence the majority of voters then, bringing those topics back up did nothing to help McCain. If anything, people just rolled their eyes and said, "Whatever."

I'd like to hear what others think about what you think McCain's mistakes were. Even if you completely disagree with me, I'd like to hear it......
gaba
Head Coach

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:This is over, yes, for the next 4 years. Let's just all, as decent people, hope that Sarah Palin never again emerges her head in national politics.
I don't know... I'd probably enjoy watching her get her ass handed to her again.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

I'm with you, gaba. I think she could be just the divisive element that could shatter the Republican party for the next decade.