Bowe Bergdahl deserter not hero

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Not if he renounced his citizenshi and became an enemy of the US.

I am very confused. I do not know how you could even assume President Obama didn't know. But let's say for one second he did. Then he failed our county by hiring morons and being ignorant of his staffs failure.

Look I an not a President Obama hater nor fan. He has made some good moves and bad. He got Osama he gets a +1 for that. He fucked this up -1.
Bears_40
Player of the Month

" He is political - but not stupid. " - IE, I disagree with this. Time and time again he claims ignorance that he didn't know and just found out. He plays everyone and is a liar.

He gave up 5 Bin-Laden's for this clown.

I stand alone.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bears_40 and 0 guests
IE
Hall of Famer

OK - well, I'm not going to argue in general about the POTUS' behavior or successes/failures, etc. Especially against comments about the POTUS always playing people and being a liar... c'mon, let's be adults here.

There were recently Republican leaders lobbying to deal to get the guy back... so for whatever reason the entire spectrum of stories was not available to them either. Who knows why... but the President's advisors goofed him up to get involved in this, instead of just allowing it to happen at a distance. Anyone who thinks that President Obama purposely compromised himself or made himself look bad or unaware... you're just kidding yourself. That dude is smart. You can go ahead and not like him for whatever reason you like - but he is very smart.

On the "renouncing your citizenship" angle - no, that really doesn't hold water. First - if he did that even on tape, it could be under duress and certainly that is not treason in itself. Renouncing your citizenship doesn't automatically make you an enemy of the state. Regardless... even traitors are entitled to their day in court. Again... we fight for our ways, and that includes due process. You can't have it both ways... not matter how strong the emotion. That's how we do things. That's why we're better.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Interesting. I think you are looking at the POTUS through rose colored glasses. He, his administration made a mistake by my standards and many others. This is not a Republican Democrat issue. I do not more never will follow party politics. I voted for him in the first election. Johnson in the second.

You are right shit rolls down hill keeping the mountain top clean as a whistle. Doesn't mean the duce did not start at the top.

THe President is very smart. When you are in charge to claim ignorance is weak minded and shows bad leadership. By you believing the "I don't know logic" it shows me you question his intelligence. You see I know he is smart, too smart to not know the facts behind a huge political and strategic move like this. It's international. It's big. It's too big for a smart man in charge of the entire thing to not know. I think it's clear he thought the public would accept him as a hero and it back fired. Our public is pissed and our enemy is celebrating.

If your the captain of a ship that runs around it's your fault not the first mates.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

As far as the renouncing citizenship. My brother in law does that for a living with the U.S. Embassy. Yes you need to legally do that under oath. I think the intent was clear. He did it in the Safety of his post in his living quarters.

Due process is important but to compromise American security and lives? On foreign soil with a traitor.
IE
Hall of Famer

No question it is a sticky situation, mmmc. I guess you're right that the Pres may have known more than he'd admit... but that is only going to be speculation unless it is on tape. Look at all the nonsense about WMDs in Iraq and the stories that have come out from Colin Powell and others ... even with statements from an insider, nobody really believes anything other than what they want to believe. So maybe it is rose colored glasses. Maybe it is respect for the job. But I prefer to believe that Presidents in general have a lot going on (much we don't even know about), and occasionally undesirable things happen because of imperfect communications.

So yeah - On the consequences for this guy.... I'm inclined to default to proven (and legal) processes. Don't get me wrong ... if a deserter was shooting at our troops, then mow him down. But anything else ... even if it is suspicion that he was giving the enemy information that put our troops at risk ... that is exactly what military trials are for, right? If we allow biased folks, partially-informed folks, etc to be the judge and jury, then in my opinion we've taken a step back.

I know it sucks for the family and friends of someone who is murdered, to know that the murderer is sitting there guilty and still alive (even if it is in jail)... but that's our law. And laws are what make us great.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

go watch Homeland ... focus on the Brody character ... this scenario with this dude looks like it came right from the tv series script

which makes it only more strange

but now it has become a political football, which means facts and truth are going to be in the back end of the bus as each political side tries to spin this to conform to their views, which means we may never know the details or reasons behind what happened
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
IE
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:go watch Homeland ... focus on the Brody character ... this scenario with this dude looks like it came right from the tv series script

which makes it only more strange

but now it has become a political football, which means facts and truth are going to be in the back end of the bus as each political side tries to spin this to conform to their views, which means we may never know the details or reasons behind what happened
Right. And for that reason, I'd prefer the guy go through the court martial process, and let the military court decide what he did and didn't do.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Yes I guess that is the only positive I can find. Hopefully he does to trail
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Bowe Bergdahl arraigned at North Carolina Army base

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (AP) — Wearing a dress blue uniform, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl faced a military judge Tuesday for the first time since the U.S. Army decided to proceed with a military trial that could result in a life sentence for his disappearance in Afghanistan in 2009.

Bergdahl, who was held by the Taliban for five years after he walked off a base, was arraigned during a short hearing on charges of desertion and misbehavior before the enemy, a relatively rare charge that carries the severe punishment. If convicted of desertion, he could get up to five years in prison.

Bergdahl deferred entering a plea and did not decide whether he wants to face a court-martial with a jury or one with just a judge. He said little beyond answering "yes" and "no" to questions about whether he understood his rights and the court proceedings.

He appeared demure, sitting mostly still in his chair then walking deliberately with his head down as he left the courtroom. He talked quietly with his military attorney before and after the hearing.

The next pretrial hearing was scheduled for Jan. 12 before Army Judge Col. Jeffery R. Nance, who will preside over future hearings in the case.

Bergdahl, 29, of Hailey, Idaho, walked off his post in eastern Afghanistan's Paktika province on June 30, 2009. He was released in late May 2014 as part of a prisoner swap, in exchange for five detainees in Guantanamo Bay. The move touched off a firestorm of criticism, with some in Congress accusing President Barack Obama of jeopardizing the safety of the country with the exchange.

A preliminary hearing officer initially recommended a special court-martial, which is a misdemeanor-level forum. But earlier this month, the Army announced Bergdahl would face the more serious general court-martial.

Bergdahl's disappearance and the possibility that he might face light punishment had angered many in the military, who say his fellow soldiers took considerable risks to search for him.
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Serial second season is dealing with this.

I don't expect them to cover the issue fairly, as I thought they portrayed the last season unfairly. However it was entertaining, I expect this season to be too.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

this Bergdahl guy seems quite delusional (maybe they are going for an insanity defense?) ... referring to himself as being like Jason Bourne and how he was going to be a hero due to his solo mission into the heart of the enemy

right ... and that worked oh so well
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:this Bergdahl guy seems quite delusional (maybe they are going for an insanity defense?) ... referring to himself as being like Jason Bourne and how he was going to be a hero due to his solo mission into the heart of the enemy

right ... and that worked oh so well
Yes. In the mental Health field they call it delusions of grandeur. He clearly thinks or thought of himself as smarter stronger better than he was.

He also talked about leadership failure. He mentioned from the 25 ID (the group he was with) through basic.

As a relatively normal, Alpha fucking destroyer(for real I am amazing), that I am. I can tell you anyone who questions leadership in basic (all male basic) are fucking morons. Basic is suppose to be chaos and challenging. I fucking loved it.

Combine those two tidbits with the coast guard rejecting him due to psych issues and you get the fact he is not on the normal side. The guys I knew that where with him didn't like him much.

However that said he knew right from wrong. That's the standard for the insanity defense. He knew his plan was wrong and mentioned it would get him in trouble.
wab
Mod

Considering my soon to be father in law is a retired Brigadier general in the Air Force, who worked about 35 floors below the surface of an unnamed Air Force base in the mountains, he's got some pretty strong feelings about this guy.

He also recognizes that there's more to this than what's being told. I don't know what that is though. I can't even get him to tell me how many sugars he wants in his coffee.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:He also recognizes that there's more to this than what's being told. I don't know what that is though. I can't even get him to tell me how many sugars he wants in his coffee.
so you haven't offered to butter HIS biscuits? that's probably why he won't tell you anything
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

He probably realizes this whole thing has been pushed and pulled by the political landscape and hates it.
Bears_40
Player of the Month

The political landscape will probably set him free.

I stand alone.