Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderators: wab, RING4CHI, Pagan

User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Figure some posters leave their basements long enough to get their heart rates up. Maybe.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am

I try to work out 3x a week, but usually only end up going 2 because of some bullshit excuse. Cardio is awful, but I force myself to do it a tiny bit. Generally I bench, curl, and do a lot of chest, back, and arms.

I'd like to go balls out and have a complete 4 day routine but I'd fluctuate weight too much and at this point I'm just trying to stay consistent and develop a routine. Around springtime I'll start picking it up again more heavily. Literally.
Image
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am

As I tumble over 30 my workouts have changed a lot.

I currently find myself in a month long hiatus. These absences for extended periods of time are all to frequent unfortunately. Sometimes it's family, sometimes it's injury (more frequently), and the dreaded lack of motivation.

Anyway I got back in to boxing a few months before my hiatus. While I hit harder then when I basically quit at 25 my cardio was a lot worse. Problem is it comes back much slower too.

I was thinking of adding Tabata to my program. Actual Tabata. I have found plodding away and jump rope suck for my lower legs. Fucking knees and ankles suck. Figure the intensity would help with lung capacity. I have done it before and the 8 minutes kill you. But never done it consistently in a program.

Anyone use Tabata in there workout?
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 am

UOK don't forget dead lifts. No chicken legs on BFO.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:35 am

I don't have chicken legs, for all my faults, but I do have Desk Worker's Ass. My lackadaisical profession is the anti-health.
Image
User avatar
Stay_Cool
MVP
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm

Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am

I do p90x with the lady every day, sucked for the first 2-3 weeks then felt damn good
Don't tell me the sky's the limit... There's footprints on the moon!!!
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:28 am

I did P90x for a long time. Eventually it got boring and didn't really do anything. I also recently got back into boxing and am also incorporating some krav magra into my workouts. I'll never be the 215lb athlete I was in my 20's but I'm a fairly well built 215lb 37 year old fart that drinks too much whiskey and eats too many Doritos. I suppose I'll live with that.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:47 am

mmmc_35, I did Tabata as part of the Supreme 90 Program (P90X knockoff that I got for $10). That shit kills.

I am 51 and work out about 4 x a week. Gotta do something because it is all downhill from here on out. I always mix in some cardio no matter what I do. I try to do different shit week to week. I mix in different exercises for arms, back and chest and legs. Not a fan of working the legs with weights. No matter how much I stretch prior, my legs always end up hurting.

I did the 100 pushup challenge during the summer. That was truly a bitch but I ended up being able to do 100 pushups with no break.

The Supreme 90 worked for me. I did it 3 yrs ago. Lost 10 pounds and got a lot of definition. I followed the eating plan as much as possible and was amazed at the weight I lost while eating more than I had ever eaten before.

Summers I tend to do more walk/jogs and bike riding. Do not want to get overweight, high blood pressure and heart disease run in family, try to ward it off as much as possible.

Get a lot of good workouts from Mens Health Magazine as well.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:57 pm

Does Supreme p90 X use weights?

If not it's probably not really Tabata but uses the principle. If I remember correctly.... Tabata was created in Japan. Tabata is the last name of the scientist doing the study. I believe it originated for speed skaters but the program works for other sports. After scientific research they found if you do one complex lift for 20 seconds of activity to 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds with a minute break twice the physical strength and endurance gains are amazing. (Clearly my definition is not perfect but most likely close). To actually complete a circuit of Tabata you have to be in really good shape and use a difficult weight. Things like front squats, push press, cleans (Olympic lifts) are examples.

I am interested in this Supreme p90 X. While I am generally p 90 guy this is semi intriguing to me. At 215-220 I would like to get close to 200.

WAB what's krav magra? My current boxing gym is a mma gym. The guy I work with runs our session. Dudes a monster. Big Mui Ti guy. A couple of the fighters that come are super impressive. They say one for sure will be on TV soon. A D1 wrestler with impressive stand up skills. To be 22 again slightly jealous
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:41 pm

Krav Magra is an Israeli self defense system. The boxing gym down the road from me teaches it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's got roots in boxing and Muay Thai. Lots of middle weight boxers incorporate it into their training.
User avatar
Gaytoe
Journeyman
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:27 am

Used to dabble in cross-fit for a while, but now I probably lift about 5 times a week and play inter mural sports a few days a week (beer-league soccer, basketball, touch football). But I'm also in college so I have a ton of energy/time to do it.

And Krav Maga is badass one of my buddies did it for a while.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:26 am

mmmc_35 wrote:Does Supreme p90 X use weights?

If not it's probably not really Tabata but uses the principle. If I remember correctly.... Tabata was created in Japan. Tabata is the last name of the scientist doing the study. I believe it originated for speed skaters but the program works for other sports. After scientific research they found if you do one complex lift for 20 seconds of activity to 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds with a minute break twice the physical strength and endurance gains are amazing. (Clearly my definition is not perfect but most likely close). To actually complete a circuit of Tabata you have to be in really good shape and use a difficult weight. Things like front squats, push press, cleans (Olympic lifts) are examples.

I am interested in this Supreme p90 X. While I am generally p 90 guy this is semi intriguing to me. At 215-220 I would like to get close to 200.
Supreme 90 is a 10 DVD set workout program. It uses weights with some of the workouts but others it does not. It has the Tabata workout (no weights), a cardio challenge DVD (no weights) and an ultimate Ball workout that involves no weights, just the swiss workout ball.

It is a knock off of P90x and it is way cheaper. It is cheaply made as well, but like I said I did it 2-3yrs ago and lost 10 lbs and gained some definition. the tabata workout always kicked my ass even after being 2 months into it. The workout helped me to be able to start running. After doing these DVDs it built up my lungs and endurance and I was running 3-3.5 miles about 4x a week (not now though)

Here is a link if you want to buy online:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty cheap and you can get your money's worth out of it easily.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14628
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:15 pm

wab wrote:I'll never be the 215lb athlete I was in my 20's but I'm a fairly well built 215lb 37 year old fart that drinks too much whiskey and eats too many Doritos. I suppose I'll live with that.

change the age by several years and I'm right there with you

I'm actually pretty close to the 210 I weighed in my first year of Junior College ... deal is, now that 210 pound is distributed quite differently than it was back then
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Compared to the 270lb sack of mashed potatoes i was 6 years ago, i'm happy. After my 2nd kids was born, i just completely quit on life. I'd never weighed more than 220lbs in my life. I usually hovered right around 200-215 depending on the season. But sweet christ I got fat. I went from a size 32 to a size 40 in about 18 months.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 pm

^ Same thing for me. I got 4 kids but after my twins were born I ballooned up. Plus I had got out of the Army and just finished my deployment. I went from a fairly solid 210 to a very soft 250. One day at work I saw a bunch of the images working out and said they could beat my ass. Was good motivation for me. Still Life gets in the way though.
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:40 pm

I still have a 14 yr old son I want to be able to compete against (bball, wrestling around) so I don't want him to think he can beat me in anything. He already kills me in bball. If I stay in shape though I will be able to compete. Oldest son is out of the home. Plus, I want to feel good for myself. Really want to be able to run a 5K before 2015 ends.
User avatar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer
Contact:
Location: The Bear Nebula
Posts: 14628
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:30 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:58 pm

got a flyer in the mail about a new gym facility going to be opening near me in the spring ... sounds like they are basing it on Average Joe's from Dodgeball

they will have real equipment and instructors, but, they also have their "P.E. Membership" ... and from their short ad it sounds like you sign up to come to gym class ... play kickball, softball, basketball, etc ... telling folks to get in touch with their inner kid and go out and play ... fitness and fun

I'm thinking this sounds like a great idea ... hope the place actually opens
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin

Image
BLOG : Emissions from the Bears Nebula
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Now that is a great idea. A few years back some guys got together to play kickball. It was amazing how the game grew. they just wanted the community to get together and it worked. It was open to all ages, men and women. they actually started a short league and it went well. Sadly it didn't last past that first time.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:16 pm

A neat concept. I hope it works for them. It will be hard I think to keep membership up though.

The new 24 hour gym concept was/is also great. However by design they don't want members to actually show up. I belong to one and this article describes it perfectly.

fansided.com/2014/12/19/low-cost-gyms-dont-want-go/

I use to belong to an awesome gym. It was ugly and had no machines. Atlas stones free weights platforms it was all about actual work. But inconvenience was the sole detractor.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 19650
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:20 am

The boxing gym i belong to is totally old school. Bags, platforms, free weights, and medicine balls is about all you are going to get there. You pay them to basically beat the hell out of you.
User avatar
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:14 pm

Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
User avatar
UOK
Site Admin
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 20372
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:07 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:24 am

bearsfaninaz wrote:Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
It's taken me a few years of trial and error, but I've finally settled upon a school of thought when it comes to weightlifting, exercise, and dieting:

Don't overdo it, don't under-do it. Be realistic with your body and your limits, and do everything incrementally. If you want to lose weight, it starts in the kitchen and ends with cardio. Survey your current diet, figure out what you can immediately stand to stop eating, and maybe count calories. Or simplify even further - meal plan, cook more of your own food, and avoid obvious crap. You'd be amazed how simply deciding not to drink soda and/or beer will impact your weight quickly. The same can be said about obvious stuff like hard liquor, smoking, etc.

There's got to be times where you reward your hard work, but make a once a week type thing. Or not! Again, this is really all person-to-person.

Also, be accepting of your body type and lifestyle. Anyone can have a 6-pack and be a body builder if they want to go balls-out and live at the gym/severely constrain their diets. Unfortunately normal people don't have time or energy to do this. As for me, I'm almost 30 and have accepted that I'm always gonna have a bit of a paunch (my dad's always had one and the men in my mom's side of the family all are huge). I've accepted that I hate doing cardio. I've accepted that my diet is imperfect. I take the things I like to do (lift weights, gentle cardio, cook my own food) and have made it part of my average week.

I've been at a stable weight of around 220 or so ever since then, and my body's become more muscle and less blob.

TL;DR:

1. Be realistic
2. Forge a routine of exercise and diet
3. Acknowledge your limits and adapt to them so that a healthier lifestlye becomes the norm
Image
User avatar
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach
Posts: 2228
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:33 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:59 pm

UOK wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Anyone try insane home fast loss workouts before? I am at 230ish now but would love to get even less. 200 is ultimate goal for me maybe 180 but highly unlikely at my age and bad knee.
It's taken me a few years of trial and error, but I've finally settled upon a school of thought when it comes to weightlifting, exercise, and dieting:

Don't overdo it, don't under-do it. Be realistic with your body and your limits, and do everything incrementally. If you want to lose weight, it starts in the kitchen and ends with cardio. Survey your current diet, figure out what you can immediately stand to stop eating, and maybe count calories. Or simplify even further - meal plan, cook more of your own food, and avoid obvious crap. You'd be amazed how simply deciding not to drink soda and/or beer will impact your weight quickly. The same can be said about obvious stuff like hard liquor, smoking, etc.

There's got to be times where you reward your hard work, but make a once a week type thing. Or not! Again, this is really all person-to-person.

Also, be accepting of your body type and lifestyle. Anyone can have a 6-pack and be a body builder if they want to go balls-out and live at the gym/severely constrain their diets. Unfortunately normal people don't have time or energy to do this. As for me, I'm almost 30 and have accepted that I'm always gonna have a bit of a paunch (my dad's always had one and the men in my mom's side of the family all are huge). I've accepted that I hate doing cardio. I've accepted that my diet is imperfect. I take the things I like to do (lift weights, gentle cardio, cook my own food) and have made it part of my average week.

I've been at a stable weight of around 220 or so ever since then, and my body's become more muscle and less blob.

TL;DR:

1. Be realistic
2. Forge a routine of exercise and diet
3. Acknowledge your limits and adapt to them so that a healthier lifestlye becomes the norm
I've already lost 30 pounds from cutting out soda and eating better (with the occasional junk food splurge). But I am at the point now where weight isn't coming off like it was, so I figure it is time to get back into it slowly. I know I can't go all out on these videos, but to do what I can and eventually will build up my stamina again. I am just concerned about my knee, but do have a brace for some type of support.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 am

What's up with the knee?

If the video has jumping it maybe something you want to stay away from. Something you probably could easily substitute an exercise for those movements. Subbing squats or lunges. But impact can be a concern. Reading and watching some of Coach Dos he had his football players stop a lot of jumping stuff because the risk outweighs the reward.

Also when they have you do squats form is really important with knee issues. I only front squat now because it's almost impossible to Fuck up. Something to consider because front squats force you to keep your spine erect and hips back. Saving pressure from your knees. If the video has you squat just use a stick or imagine a stick sitting across your clavicle. Sit back like your about to sit down hips back. Keep your knees behind your toes with your weight on your heels.

It's actually a very natural movement but done incorrectly under stress can Fuck you up.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:24 am

So I have forged my workout plan. Thought I would post the concept for anyone looking to go through with there resolution plan.

I work a messed up schedule so the plan won't work for everyone but the concepts will. I work 3rd shift 6 on 3 off. One regular week I may hit the gym 7 days or maybe 3. Plus I box one day a week for an hour. So I tried to make my work out very adaptive. This is something I think us normal people need to do. A strict plan dies when you miss a day or two. But a plan designed to conform to life can thrive under duress.

The key components for me were physical endurance plus strength. Instead of plodding away on a treadmill and lifting I have merged the two, to create a more exciting and realistic work out. They last approximately an hour. After that my energy is shot

I use two phone apps.

One is a round timer. I use it as a pace counter. I set it for 20 seconds to 10 seconds of rest, for 8 sets, and 1-2 min rest between exercises. I don't race the clock I know the max reps for a front squat in that time frame is 7. After my first or second set I most likely hit much lower numbers 5 3 1 etc as i fatigue . I am constantly pushing to beat the previous work out volume. I get gassed quickly and completly.

The other app is called fit notes, a work out log app that easily graphs your work out volume. I log every work out and the next work out try and beat the volume for each exercise. It helps me push the intensity.

I rotate 3 work outs. they are set up similarly working different muscle groups. Legs and shoulders, chestate and back, functional strength and core.

Example FS Core

Elliptical 10 min warm up. Raising resistance each week
Turkish get - up 3 sets of 3
Dumbell Windmill - 4 sets of 8
Ab roll out - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Cable chop - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Med ball slams - 8 sets, 20 by 10 seconds
Run - 10 min

Some great exercise to add/look at

Overhead squats
front squats
deadlines
muscle snatches
Push press
The king turkish get ups
User avatar
Otis Day
Hall of Famer
Location: Armpit of IL.
Posts: 5178
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:42 pm

I am a big sweets (candy, cakes and chocolate, cookies) eater. I went cold turkey starting January 5. Along with workouts and cutting that out I have lost 6 pounds. I am a smaller guy but was carrying a little too much around the midsection. Whatever workouts I do I always mix in cardio of late. Light days I will use weights I can rep about 20 times. I will do a set of weights and then 30 seconds of some type of cardio. I will do three sets of those two and then change to two other excercises (one weight and one cardio). I try to get my workouts done within 30 minutes. The days I do heavier weights I go at a slower pace.
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed May 24, 2017 2:08 pm

So I recently became very into fasting. There is a ton of research into it and I have been doing it for 4 months.

Essentially you don't eat for 10-14 hours. This helps with insulin sensitivity, hormone production, guttural micro flora, inflammation, and overall good processing.

Several plans include a 10 hour eating window. I just eat essentially twice a day, and have lost body fat, and continued gaining muscle.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed May 24, 2017 2:11 pm

mmmc_35 wrote:So I recently became very into fasting. There is a ton of research into it and I have been doing it for 4 months.

Essentially you don't eat for 10-14 hours. This helps with insulin sensitivity, hormone production, guttural micro flora, inflammation, and overall good processing.

Several plans include a 10 hour eating window. I just eat essentially twice a day, and have lost body fat, and continued gaining muscle.
I used to do intermittent fasting, the 16:8 specifically. You don't eat for 16 hours and then once your 8 hour window opens you can pretty much eat whatever you want (within reason).

Last meal would usually be around 8:00pm, and then I wouldn't eat again until noon the next day. Was tough at first but coffee is a wonderful thing and you get used to it.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy
User avatar
mmmc_35
Head Coach
Posts: 4683
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed May 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Night shift kind of makes the 16-8 hard for me, though its popular. Though I am entertaining the idea of 24hr fats 2-3 times a month. Maybe even a 48. I haven't done that sense HS wrestling. Then it was called starvation.
User avatar
G08
Hall of Famer
Location: Sweet Home Chicago
Posts: 14879
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Weight Lifting and Conditioning Thread

Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 pm

mmmc_35 wrote:Night shift kind of makes the 16-8 hard for me, though its popular. Though I am entertaining the idea of 24hr fats 2-3 times a month. Maybe even a 48. I haven't done that sense HS wrestling. Then it was called starvation.
I can't go 24 hours without food in this city. Interestingly enough if you have a solid HIIT session, you won't feel hungry for a good 2-3 hours. Just pound water and get to bed and you can cheat some extra time onto that 16 hour fast.
Image

See it -- Trust it -- Rip it

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

Return to “The BFO Lounge”