View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 pm 
Head Coach

Figure some posters leave their basements long enough to get their heart rates up. Maybe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:00 am 
Site Admin

I try to work out 3x a week, but usually only end up going 2 because of some bullshit excuse. Cardio is awful, but I force myself to do it a tiny bit. Generally I bench, curl, and do a lot of chest, back, and arms.

I'd like to go balls out and have a complete 4 day routine but I'd fluctuate weight too much and at this point I'm just trying to stay consistent and develop a routine. Around springtime I'll start picking it up again more heavily. Literally.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:12 am 
Head Coach

As I tumble over 30 my workouts have changed a lot.

I currently find myself in a month long hiatus. These absences for extended periods of time are all to frequent unfortunately. Sometimes it's family, sometimes it's injury (more frequently), and the dreaded lack of motivation.

Anyway I got back in to boxing a few months before my hiatus. While I hit harder then when I basically quit at 25 my cardio was a lot worse. Problem is it comes back much slower too.

I was thinking of adding Tabata to my program. Actual Tabata. I have found plodding away and jump rope suck for my lower legs. Fucking knees and ankles suck. Figure the intensity would help with lung capacity. I have done it before and the 8 minutes kill you. But never done it consistently in a program.

Anyone use Tabata in there workout?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:14 am 
Head Coach

UOK don't forget dead lifts. No chicken legs on BFO.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:35 am 
Site Admin

I don't have chicken legs, for all my faults, but I do have Desk Worker's Ass. My lackadaisical profession is the anti-health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 am 
MVP

I do p90x with the lady every day, sucked for the first 2-3 weeks then felt damn good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:28 am 
Mod

I did P90x for a long time. Eventually it got boring and didn't really do anything. I also recently got back into boxing and am also incorporating some krav magra into my workouts. I'll never be the 215lb athlete I was in my 20's but I'm a fairly well built 215lb 37 year old fart that drinks too much whiskey and eats too many Doritos. I suppose I'll live with that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:47 am 
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35, I did Tabata as part of the Supreme 90 Program (P90X knockoff that I got for $10). That shit kills.

I am 51 and work out about 4 x a week. Gotta do something because it is all downhill from here on out. I always mix in some cardio no matter what I do. I try to do different shit week to week. I mix in different exercises for arms, back and chest and legs. Not a fan of working the legs with weights. No matter how much I stretch prior, my legs always end up hurting.

I did the 100 pushup challenge during the summer. That was truly a bitch but I ended up being able to do 100 pushups with no break.

The Supreme 90 worked for me. I did it 3 yrs ago. Lost 10 pounds and got a lot of definition. I followed the eating plan as much as possible and was amazed at the weight I lost while eating more than I had ever eaten before.

Summers I tend to do more walk/jogs and bike riding. Do not want to get overweight, high blood pressure and heart disease run in family, try to ward it off as much as possible.

Get a lot of good workouts from Mens Health Magazine as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:57 pm 
Head Coach

Does Supreme p90 X use weights?

If not it's probably not really Tabata but uses the principle. If I remember correctly.... Tabata was created in Japan. Tabata is the last name of the scientist doing the study. I believe it originated for speed skaters but the program works for other sports. After scientific research they found if you do one complex lift for 20 seconds of activity to 10 seconds rest for 8 rounds with a minute break twice the physical strength and endurance gains are amazing. (Clearly my definition is not perfect but most likely close). To actually complete a circuit of Tabata you have to be in really good shape and use a difficult weight. Things like front squats, push press, cleans (Olympic lifts) are examples.

I am interested in this Supreme p90 X. While I am generally p 90 guy this is semi intriguing to me. At 215-220 I would like to get close to 200.

WAB what's krav magra? My current boxing gym is a mma gym. The guy I work with runs our session. Dudes a monster. Big Mui Ti guy. A couple of the fighters that come are super impressive. They say one for sure will be on TV soon. A D1 wrestler with impressive stand up skills. To be 22 again slightly jealous

Last edited by mmmc_35 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:41 pm 
Mod

Krav Magra is an Israeli self defense system. The boxing gym down the road from me teaches it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

It's got roots in boxing and Muay Thai. Lots of middle weight boxers incorporate it into their training.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next