View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:04 pm 
Head Coach

G08 listen to this guy about trap bar deadlift. I listen to a lot of S&C coaches. I found this fasinating.

traffic.libsyn.com/timferriss/The_Tim_Ferriss_Show_-_Ryan_Flaherty.mp3?dest-id=189939

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:23 pm 
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
So deadlifts have pretty much changed my physique. I've been lifting fairly consistently since my freshman year of college and made solid gains but stalled out after 5 years or so. Since I tacked on deadlifts (as well as HIIT) to my weekly routine, my squats/bench/shoulder press/curls/and lat pull-downs have exploded.

If it's not a part of your routine or you feel like you've hit a wall... add them.

I definitely noticed my rows and shoulder press increasing since I've started the doing it with StrongLifts. Like you, I never did deadlifts during high school or college.

Another lift I've been doing recently as an accessory is the hip thrust: https://bretcontreras.com/how-to-hip-thrust/ I've read that it's supposed to be great for developing glutes, hams, and quads, which should help my squat and deadlift even further.

I recently changed to a 3x5 because it was taking about 90 minutes to complete a workout. I just don't have that much time, and I feel like I have more confidence lifting only three sets - it's a lot easier to tell yourself "shit, that was heavy. Barely made it through - only 2 more sets to go" than "christ, I'll never make it through four more sets of that."

This is my progress as of yesterday:

Attachment:
share_2070268232974849463.png

Here's a picture of my setup in the basement:

Attachment:
IMG_20170825_185233.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:01 am 
Head Coach

Thought this recent article was quite interesting:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/individualized-program-design/

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 am 
Hall of Famer

I've got my deadlifts at 335 lbs 3 x 5 (or more but the majority of the time I burn out around 5 reps)

Bench, I do dumbells 85 lbs 3 x 8

Squats I'm currently at 275 3 x 8 (my form is fucked up right now, I'm trying to perfect the low bar squat and it's kind of fucking with my center of gravity)

"I don't care about numbers, I care about letters" -- Matt Nagy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:57 am 
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:
I've got my deadlifts at 335 lbs 3 x 5 (or more but the majority of the time I burn out around 5 reps)

Bench, I do dumbells 85 lbs 3 x 8

Squats I'm currently at 275 3 x 8 (my form is fucked up right now, I'm trying to perfect the low bar squat and it's kind of fucking with my center of gravity)

I haven't hit failure yet on my deadlifts, but I don't think it's far off. I feel like I'm cheating a little using straps, but I just couldn't keep the grip once the weight got too heavy. I felt as if I could lift the weight, but it seemed dangerous having the weight slipping out of my hands.

I've always kind of struggled with upper body strength - I put all of my emphasis on lower body when I was playing football because that was pretty much the only way I was going to be able to play as a 5'9" 165-lb lineman (thankfully I went to a small school), so my chest is definitely underdeveloped comparatively.

I do high bar squats. I learned about low bar squats when I was starting to do around 260 lbs (5x5) and I had a really tough time getting the form down at that weight. I felt okay at the bottom of the squat, but it was so awkward and comfortable at the top. I feel okay doing high bar squats though because low bar squat more mimics the deadlifts form, so it's kind of a duplication of the same muscle groups. High bar targets the quads more, and I don't get quad work from anywhere else. I might do low bar at some point, but I'm going to have to drop a good amount of weight to get the form down first.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 pm 
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:
Thought this recent article was quite interesting:

https://bayesianbodybuilding.com/individualized-program-design/

Really interesting article, thanks for sharing. It's really incredible how complicated we are, as individuals. I was talking to a friend of mine who is doing the same program as I am and he's hardly cracked 200 lbs squatting, but is deadlifting 400. Another person who was doing the same program could bench like 200 lbs but only squat around 225. Our genetics alone make things wildly variable, and then when you throw in all the other factors it's no surprise results vary so widely from person to person.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 am 
Head Coach

I thought I would bump this with the addition of a new S&C coach and a new year.

So nutritionally I have become very happy with fasting, and a primary meat diet. I won't go full carnivore diet though some of the concepts are intriguing. I like beer and pizza too much. However lately, especially on work days, meat with light carbs and veggies are my go to. This is after fasting for 12-14 hours. I tell you what I feel really good when I adhere to it.

At the gym my work outs are simple. 15 minutes cardio, alternating daily intensity. 30 minutes lifting. Multi joint strength exercise less then 5 Reps combined with joint strengthening. Then a Tabata work capacity finisher.

I am thinking of adding a plyo in between sets like the new S&C coach does.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:41 am 
Pro Bowler

I started the Brad Pitt Fight Club workout a year ago. I muscle per day, always super set with legs, abs, or push-ups. Lighter weights and reps around 12-25.

I also do the Johnson and Johnson 7 minute workout every morning right out of bed..and after dinner at night. Gym around 5pm every day.

Not bragging, but I'm 37 and in the best shape of my life. Ripped 6 pack and feeling pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:35 am 
MVP

I do bench, preacher curl and deadlifts during my workout. I don't have a chest day per se. Then I also do a lot of treadmill with a brisk walk. No running. 3.8 or 3.6 depending on what I'm doing. Its one of the ways that I catch up on my DVR and podcasts.

Normally I focus on 4 x 5s when lifting. For bench I do a 4 x 5 plus an AMRAP.

There is a device I wear called a Slingshot for 2 out of every 3 bench workouts per week and it has really helped my benchpressing in terms of form and also strength. I highly recommend that you have a spotter (you should have a spotter no matter what anyway) when wearing this. In fact I would say you must have a spotter when wearing this. It allows you to bench press more at the same time, but more importantly it forces good form.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm 
Head Coach

]Mark Bell the creator of the sling shot, uses it as a overload training device. It also helps with form as it keeps your shoulder in right and elbows on plane.

I have never used it but know people who have and like it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next