The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

easy way to full on cake bliss ... this combo works very well together

+
+

* prepare cake per directions on box ... when done, allow cake to fully cool on racks

* place 1 layer on a plate, and spread a thick layer of the Lemon Curd

* place second layer on top and cover entire cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

enjoy!
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I'm fairly certain that I'm going to tackle making a batch of sex-worthy biscuits and gravy sometime over the next couple days. This thread must know.
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

What interpretation of sex worthy? Like you give them to a woman and get sex or you have sex with the food?

Because it is you I am truly unsure.
UOK
Site Admin

Like I'd eat a bite of the meal and then promptly have sex with the mess on my plate. It would be disgusting and weird looking, but that's a small price to pay.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Epic Breakfast Cake

http://baconology.org/Epic_Breakfast_Cake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I did a variation of one of my favorites last weekend ... instead of biscuits and gravy, waffles and gravy

made the basic waffle mix from the Bisquick box to pour into the waffle iron ... made my basic sausage gravy, with some hot pepper flakes to liven it up

fresh waffles, a bit of maple syrup, then the sausage gravy over the top

yummy stuff
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my favorite Thanksgiving leftover sandwich

* heat up some leftover stuffing

* heat up some left over mashed potatoes, adding some shredded cheese and butter

* mix some leftover cranberry sauce with some diced hot peppers

* either heat up some turkey or use it cold

toast 2 slices of bread ... spread the mashed potatoes on 1 slice ... add stuffing and cranberry mixture to other slice ... add turkey ... press halves together and enjoy
George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

If you dont want to use toast put it all together on bread and put it on a griddle like a grilled cheese.
gaba
Head Coach

Sounds pretty awesome. I like a little stuffing and gravy on my turkey sandwich. The taters sound like a bit much and I'm not a fan of cheese with turkey/stuffing, but I'll probably have to give it a try. I've got a whole turkey in the fridge just for leftovers and sandwiches. It's going in tomorrow.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Paula Dean has a Biscuits with Milk Gravy recipe ... I will probably cheat and use Pillsbury biscuits

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
Milk gravy, recipe follows

Biscuits:

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the shortening with a fork until it looks like cornmeal. Add the milk, a little at a time, stirring constantly until well mixed.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly two or three times. Roll out the dough with a floured rolling pin to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch cutter.

Place the biscuits in a greased iron skillet. Gently press down top of biscuits. Brush the biscuits with half the melted butter. Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Brush the hot biscuits with the remaining butter. Split the biscuits in half and ladle milk gravy over the hot biscuits.

Milk Gravy:

1/4 cup bacon grease
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk warm
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and bubbly about 1 minute. Add the warm milk slowly and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir, until thickened, about 5 minutes, adding milk as necessary to control the thickness. Season the gravy with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Chicken Fried Steak, topped with Sausage Gravy

my arteries might have been screaming, but my taste buds and stomach were happy
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

I bought a couple pounds of italian sausage the other day and was surprised to see no one here posted any recipes for cooking this iconic tailgate food. I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to grilling so does anyone have any recipes/tips to share?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:I bought a couple pounds of italian sausage the other day and was surprised to see no one here posted any recipes for cooking this iconic tailgate food. I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to grilling so does anyone have any recipes/tips to share?

first thing to remember is patience ... you throw those things directly over the flames, and most times they will split and burst

since you mention tailgating, I am assuming that is the recipe you want

I do the Italian Sausage same as I do Bratwurst - slowly simmering in a beer bath ... this allows the sausage to cook, without bursting ... then put them over the coals for a few minutes to brown them up before putting them on a bun

if you don't want to do the beer bath for whatever reason, then simply put them on the grill away from the flames ... indirect cooking for a while before then putting them over the coals to finish
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I recently inherited my Grandmother's skillet... basically, none of the vultures claimed it. As I was cleaning out the last of the stuff nobody wanted, the skillet that made her famous and much loved friend chicken sat unwanted. I wouldn't normally make gravy in a cast iron skillet, but this thing is beautifully seasoned by years (decades) of cooking with lard.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I might have posted this before because I know I've done it before

this past weekend, I made sausage gravy with bacon again ... cooked the bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet while making my standard sausage gravy ... then crumbled the bacon into the gravy before serving ... served the gravy over home fries instead of biscuits, with a side of cheesy scrambled eggs and cinnamon rolls ... yummy

because sometimes, it is all about the bacon. which seems to enhance most anything

what is the most satisfying sandwich you can think of? like for one of those times, when you don't really know what you want, but know you have to eat something? what fills that void of needing to eat and is actually satisfying?

for me, hands down, it is a BLT

some nice toasted oatmeal bread, a slather of mayo, some fresh crunchy lettuce, a couple thick slices of a garden tomato, and bacon

sandwich perfection
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I made fresh guacamole for the first time and used bacon. It's life altering.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Give me some bbq pulled pork over a Hebrew Hot dog. Top with some chedder and maybe some bacon!!

gaba
Head Coach

My entire family now eats honey on their biscuits and gravy. Only the middle child and I use the hot sauce too, but everyone thinks we're a bunch of weirdos.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

gaba wrote:My entire family now eats honey on their biscuits and gravy. Only the middle child and I use the hot sauce too, but everyone thinks we're a bunch of weirdos.
Honey on biscuits is amazing. Throw in some sausage gravy and you've got yourself a fine meal.
gaba
Head Coach

Sausage gravy with bacon. I don't get the obsession with bacon-flavored this and bacon-scented that, but bacon grease makes fucking amazing gravy. Add a little to the sausage (fried with some chopped fresh jalepeno) when you start the gravy and then chop up the bacon to sprinkle on top. Amazaballs.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Using the bacon grease to fry your potatoes in is awesome as well.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Got to make a confession. I have grown to like turkey bacon. The only thing I miss from real bacon is grease to fry my eggs and taters in. I dont like crispy bacon I like chewy bacon so the TB has the right texture for me.
gaba
Head Coach

I kind of like it too. It's not a replacement for bacon by any stretch of the imagination, but for what it is it's pretty good.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:My entire family now eats honey on their biscuits and gravy. Only the middle child and I use the hot sauce too, but everyone thinks we're a bunch of weirdos.
I am pleased to have had an influence on your family tradition

and that you have traveled such a long way from that day you called me a weirdo for suggesting it to become one yourself

:thumbsup:
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

had friends over for brunch before watching the game on Sunday ... brunch was country fried steak smothered in sausage gravy ... 3 cheese scrambled eggs on the side and biscuits

very satisfying

and stayed with us too, as there was no request to fire up the grill during the storm delay
George Carlin
dadoc
MVP

That sounds tasty
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

need a side dish for your biscuits and gravy?

Bacon Wrapped, Sausage Stuffed, Jalapeno Poppers

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

what better dessert after biscuits and gravy than a wonderful fresh donut and some coffee?

a new restaurant by me makes their own donuts ... they are not a donut shop, but an actual sitdown place with donuts on the breakfast menu ... and their donuts are simply perfect ... and only available until noon (or gone if they sell out before noon)
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Baked Maple Bacon Donuts

recipe at - http://ibakeheshoots.com/baked-maple-bacon-donuts/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

not related to biscuits and gravy at all ... but a wonderful recipe

Pretzel Hot Dog Buns
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jeff ... ecipe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

look at the recipe and it seems like a lot of work ... but it really isn't ... and the reward for your effort is superb

warm salted pretzel bun straight from the oven ... bratwurst right off the grill ... some spicy dark mustard ... and beer ... makes for a wonderful afternoon
George Carlin