QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

This is a very, very early "MY GUY!" from me :arrow: it's telling of how poorly I'm expecting this season to go :(

That being said, here's some very quick thoughts of mine on the kid:

I'm simply enamored by his athleticism, arm strength, size, and really his character: people have raved about it. His father played professional baseball and the kid spent a lot of his youth around professional athletes and it seems like it has rubbed off on him.

6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees). He's this odd mix of Favre/Manziel/Rodgers when you look at his elite traits, but he still needs at least one year on the bench refining his mechanics (I don't like where he holds the ball nor how he stands in the pocket, needs to clean up his footwork as well) but the talent is there. He'll make some throws that will leave your jaw on the floor (across his body, but accurate and with zip) and other 'simple' throws that he will flat-out miss (read: mechanics).

I'm sure he'll move up the boards as the season progresses (of course, assuming his shoulder is healthy) but I'd gladly spend a 2nd or 3rd on the kid if he finishes out this season as I am expecting. He's not Russell Wilson, he's not Johnny Manziel, he's somewhere in the middle with a better arm than either.

Keep an eye on this kid... just turned 21 and is currently a Junior.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Mason Rudolph is my guy if we trade up into the bottom of round 1 (as it stands now).
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Mason Rudolph is my guy if we trade up into the bottom of round 1 (as it stands now).
I still predict, and we should double check this thread in months, that barring injury Rudolph will go top 5, if not top 3.

I watch his play and I feel like it's going to create a stupid frenzy, jettisoning him from a logical 16-32 selection to picks 1-5.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:Mason Rudolph is my guy if we trade up into the bottom of round 1 (as it stands now).
I haven't watched any of him yet... what do you like about him?

wab
Mod

G08 wrote:
I haven't watched any of him yet... what do you like about him?
He's big and tough and mobile. He can make every throw and just has that..."it". He reminds me a lot of Andrew Luck. He does have a little bit of a weird hitch in his delivery...so that's something to note.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

Idk if this is a bad game for him against CMU but his throws look high often, and not very accurate deep.
malk
Head Coach

G08 wrote:This is a very, very early "MY GUY!" from me :arrow: it's telling of how poorly I'm expecting this season to go :(

I'm simply enamored by his athleticism, arm strength, size, and really his character: people have raved about it. His father played professional baseball and the kid spent a lot of his youth around professional athletes and it seems like it has rubbed off on him.

6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees). He's this odd mix of Favre/Manziel/Rodgers when you look at his elite traits, but he still needs at least one year on the bench refining his mechanics (I don't like where he holds the ball nor how he stands in the pocket, needs to clean up his footwork as well) but the talent is there. He'll make some throws that will leave your jaw on the floor (across his body, but accurate and with zip) and other 'simple' throws that he will flat-out miss (read: mechanics).

I'm sure he'll move up the boards as the season progresses (of course, assuming his shoulder is healthy) but I'd gladly spend a 2nd or 3rd on the kid if he finishes out this season as I am expecting. He's not Russell Wilson, he's not Johnny Manziel, he's somewhere in the middle with a better arm than either.

Just watched a quick reel of 2015 highlights, some of those throws are jaw dropping. Looks a little bit happy to scramble out of the pocket though. Not that I can evaluate talent for shit!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: 6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees)

I'll keep an eye out, although the thing that immediately popped into my mind is -

I got excited back when Kyle Boller was getting buzz for doing the same.
(Turned out to be no better than the Sex Cannon)

I'm also pretty leery about QBs coming out of the TT system.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote:
G08 wrote: 6'3" 230 lbs and he has a RIFLE for an arm (no joke, he can throw it 65 yards from his knees)

I'll keep an eye out, although the thing that immediately popped into my mind is -

I got excited back when Kyle Boller was getting buzz for doing the same.
(Turned out to be no better than the Sex Cannon)

I'm also pretty leery about QBs coming out of the TT system.
Ha, I remember Kyle Boller! Threw it through the goal posts from his knees at the 50 yard line, right?

I am more enamored with his overall skill-set than the numbers he is putting up in that spread system.

Great character (from what I've read)
Excellent size (6'3" 230 lbs)
Athletic/mobile (I think that's the new-age QB: the Russell Wilsons and Dak Prescott's of the NFL... hell, even Aaron Rodgers)
Huge arm (not necessarily needed, but I do have a soft spot for gunslingers... always will)

I think he can excel in our current offensive system, and when plays break down he can use that howitzer of his to give Alshon/White a chance to make a big play

Still, I think a bit more of the lure for me is that he can be had in round 2 (maybe round 3 as well) and I like that overall value and 'bang for my buck' than any of the first round QBs not named Kizer.

G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

Vs Lousiana Tech 2016

malk
Head Coach

Bit random but I'm watching him right now. Looking pretty good too.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

G08
Hall of Famer

http://insidethepylon.com/pylon-u/teams ... ahomes-ii/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This kid just does it for me... he's a 90's Jennifer Aniston :love:

Lots of work to do, but in that article you see glimpses of greatness. I'd be fine with Hoyer for a year and sit this kid for all of 2017 to work on his mechanics... that's how badly I want him to be a Chicago Bear.

malk
Head Coach

The third throw in that article is stunning. I'd absolutely love this kid with our 2nd rounder.

G08
Hall of Famer

The 5th throw was 29 yards on a fucking rope, just a cannon on that kid. I loved that slant through the second window as well.

This dude is my Ferrari. So much want.

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Saw this guy Saturday, and I will say this, he is built like a mack truck and is tough as nails.

He left the game after a play in which he wasn't hit. He eventually left the game awkwardly holding his left arm (non-throwing arm.) It really looked like he had broken a collarbone. He missed a couple of series while in the locker room, but did return to the game after a while. While it isn't known what happened, I'm thinking he suffered a separated shoulder. They took him into the locker room to get his pads off and pop it back into place so he could return.

He actually had to yell (but not a in pain yell) to get the attention of the medical staff before he went down. That's a mark of toughness to me. If I had separated my shoulder, I'm definitely yelling in pain.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
G08
Hall of Famer

Yeah I watched that game, I had thought maybe it was his AC joint since he had sprained that earlier in the season. Kid played a shitty game but he's a tough, tough SOB.

G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

I want.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Do we really want another talented, yet erratic QB who likes to ad-lib and throw off his back foot? He's certainly exciting to watch at the collegiate level, I just don't think half the things he does translates well over to the NFL. I also don't know much about his work ethic, character and leadership - if you take the kid, you have to really make sure your scouts did your homework on the type of person he is. Will he give it his all at the next level to improve? Because he's got a lot of work to do, IMO. Or will he fall down the path of a Manziel and piss his career away?
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

His father played in the major leagues for quite a while, and he grew up around a ton of professional athletes. By all accounts he's got a good head on his shoulders and a hard worker. I think the character/intangibles aspect is good.

I mean that throw at 1:10 is 50 yards into a bucket, just insane.

malk
Head Coach

Completely not talent related but I love that weird little hitch he did before the first TD, half hearted pump fake or just warming up his arm for the bomb?!

Also, his interception percentage is only 1.7% despite his defence being awful (550 total yards, 240 rushing!) and teams knowing that he's coming out throwing. Pretty low sack % too which I think is more down to his mobility than a great line. Reads and progressions will be key for him in a pro offence and I can't evaluate that. But give him a good running game and play action...

I'm getting ahead of myself.

karhu
Head Coach

He's got a very weird stride/plant. I don't know that I've ever seen a front knee bend like that on a QB good enough to hold my attention. Almost...baseball-like, go figure. Most QBs use their front foot as a sort of pivot, which helps with their accuracy; Mahomes is plenty accurate with completely different mechanics.

Which probably helps him maintain accuracy when rolling out or buying time, but is probably a big part of his deep-ball problems. He's my favorite QB this year, provided we take him at the end of the first (thanks, thunder, for pointing out the wisdom of that tack), but I really hope his next QB coach works with him on some dedicated deep-ball mechanics, and doesn't try to fix what ain't broke.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Now I see this thread...sign me up on the Mahomes Express straight outta Soldier Field Station!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:Now I see this thread...sign me up on the Mahomes Express straight outta Soldier Field Station!
Welcome aboard!

Truthfully I don't think he will be Pace's guy, but Bruce Arians will draft him in round 2 and the kid will be a fucking monster.

UOK
Site Admin

Officially declared today.

@TomPelissero
25s
Will be repped by Leigh Steinberg and Chris Cabott, who had Paxton Lynch last year.
G08
Hall of Famer

:D

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:This is a very, very early "MY GUY!" from me :arrow: it's telling of how poorly I'm expecting this season to go :(

Interesting. The very first throw he makes in that highlight reel was an absolute gem that got my attention. I agree with your assessment though. He does seem rather Favre-like to me. His size and arm jump out at you.

But he's not a guy you want to start right away. He has several mechanical flaws that need straightened out. But he's smart if you watch some of the small stuff he does.

Somebody will use a #1 on him.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Does it bother anyone that QB's in the Texas Tech system generally don't translate too well in the pros? Don't know if it's mentioned in the thread (I imagine it has).

Not saying Mahomes will flop, but something about that system irks me a little bit.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Right now it's also too early to say he'll be available in R2. If he's as good as some think, he might go a lot earlier than people anticipate. After the combine and all of the individual workouts, desperate teams on draft day always over draft QB's. it the nature of the business. Heck, Bears will probably be one of them. I'd love a trade down in the first and grab the QB that Pace covets. I just don't want them to force the need too much.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Does it bother anyone that QB's in the Texas Tech system generally don't translate too well in the pros? Don't know if it's mentioned in the thread (I imagine it has).

Not saying Mahomes will flop, but something about that system irks me a little bit.
It's a concern but this dude has a tremendous arm and is highly athletic for the position. The only worry would be adjusting to a Pro System and hammering down his mechanics (both throwing and lower body). He's Colin Kaepernick with better touch, IMO.