The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

gaba
Head Coach

Mmmmm... that sounds pretty good about now. I'm gonna have to go shopping anyway. Might as well pick up some supplies while I'm at it.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I made a variation of my gravy for the party buffet we had a week or so ago ... one of our friends had deer sausage, which I combined with some pork and browned in a skillet, while roasting fresh jalapenos in the oven

when the sausage was done, the jalapenos were chopped and added ... this combo gave a wonderful spicy smoky flavor to the finished gravy

there were no leftovers
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Tears... dammit I'm CRYING! That sound truly awesome wink. Wish I knew where to get some deer meat now.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

gaba wrote:Tears... dammit I'm CRYING! That sound truly awesome wink. Wish I knew where to get some deer meat now.

"Wink" dont you mean boris. Yea i miss him too.
gaba
Head Coach

Wow, that's weird.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Wow, that's weird.
see there?

not enough biscuits and gravy can lead to senility ... you have been warned
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I would say I was tired, but it was 2 in the afternoon. Although... I'm far more awake at 2AM. I probably got up from a nap before I posted that.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

its been a long time so here we go again
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Rockbear99 wrote:its been a long time so here we go again

I made my last batch with mixed game sausage from a co-worker of the wife who went on a hunting vacation ... it contained deer, elk and wild boar ... and it was yummy
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

is wild boar pretty much a variant of a pork flavor or did it have a different kind of texture
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:is wild boar pretty much a variant of a pork flavor or did it have a different kind of texture
well, since it was all ground together into sausage, I really couldn't tell you other than the end result with the sausage was pretty much perfection

maybe I can get a wild boar roast from him and find out more about that specifically ... my guess is it will be basically pork, but with a minor difference or 2
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I must have sh*t for brains tonight. Ever since I read Noots notes every comment seems to come back to Peppers and BM. Even my last batch of biscuits and gravy...

TIP... read labels carefully.
I usually do the shopping and I usually buy big bottles of Frank's Red Hot sauce. This time around, I asked my wife to pick some up for me. Unable to find Frank's (???) she came home with (by sheer dumb luck) a very good and similar imported brand. Unfortunately (as I discovered after my first bite of leftovers the morning after this last batch) the new bottle is very similar in size and shape to a bottle of habanero sauce I'd forgotten I still had. I don't know about you guys, but I use my habanero sauce sparingly... but when I use regular hot sauce (which I thought I had) I tend to pour it on generously. Much like the moment when you realize you don't have time to stop before that car ahead of you... the first gluttonous bite hadn't quite touched my lips before I noticed the searing heat from the habanero sauce literally dripping off the biscuits and gravy. Sadly, my brain didn't register this observation in time to stop me. In a fit of ravenous hunger I swallowed that first bite with only a couple token chews. As the chunk of fiery deliciousness reached my throat my entire head was engulfed in flames. Milk, cheese, saltines... nothing quenched the burning that seemed to cover me from my ears to my belt.

Of course... I couldn't let those delicious biscuits and gravy go to waste, so I suffered through the rest of the serving rather than throw it away. It was the most delicious torment I've ever endured.

So, what does that have to do with Peppers and BM? Do I really need to explain it? (ouuuu-ch)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:
So, what does that have to do with Peppers and BM? Do I really need to explain it? (ouuuu-ch)

You need two popsicles, one for each end?
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Wow. That's rough Gaba. Way to man up though and finish your plate!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I usually do the shopping and I usually buy big bottles of Frank's Red Hot sauce. This time around, I asked my wife to pick some up for me. Unable to find Frank's (???) she came home with (by sheer dumb luck) a very good and similar imported brand. Unfortunately (as I discovered after my first bite of leftovers the morning after this last batch) the new bottle is very similar in size and shape to a bottle of habanero sauce I'd forgotten I still had. I don't know about you guys, but I use my habanero sauce sparingly... but when I use regular hot sauce (which I thought I had) I tend to pour it on generously. Much like the moment when you realize you don't have time to stop before that car ahead of you... the first gluttonous bite hadn't quite touched my lips before I noticed the searing heat from the habanero sauce literally dripping off the biscuits and gravy. Sadly, my brain didn't register this observation in time to stop me. In a fit of ravenous hunger I swallowed that first bite with only a couple token chews. As the chunk of fiery deliciousness reached my throat my entire head was engulfed in flames. Milk, cheese, saltines... nothing quenched the burning that seemed to cover me from my ears to my belt.
:rofl:

I cannot help but laugh at your pain

oh here ... let me add to your pain:

:rofl: :thumbsup: :toast:
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

At least some good came of it. I'm glad I could amuse you.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
gaba
Head Coach

... also, I've found that biscuits and gravy lends itself quite nicely to extremes of heat. I wouldn't go with straight habanero sauce again, but maybe Frank could use a little more heat.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

I always chuck about a handful of ground cayenne on my B&G
gaba
Head Coach

I just get the spicy sausage, but I can't overdo it because wifey doesn't like hot stuff. I have to season most of my food after it's done. That's the great thing about the honey and hot sauce on biscuits and gravy. I can make a meal that wifey loves, and still get my hot 'n spicy fix. I have been ramping up the spice on her a little at a time though.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:That's the great thing about the honey and hot sauce on biscuits and gravy.
you're welcome

as I recall, when I first posted that you thought I was whacked ... well, I may very well be whacked, but I know what works in the kitchen

and I have the same issues you do ... my wife also does not do the extra spicy so I too have to either make 2 versions of the dish (too much of a pain in the ass) or simply ramp up the heat on my serving after it is made, which works well enough
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I definitely thought you were nuts but you convinced me to give it a try and I can't eat biscuits and gravy without it. I definitely didn't need it tonight though (still used it anyway). Talking about it made me NEED biscuits and gravy tonight. I've been cheating a bit and using instant pancake mix instead of plain flour. I was out of flour the first time I tried it and I think it gives it a slightly more flavorful gravy. Tonight, I ramped up the heat a bit more than I thought I'd get away with. I minced up a small jalapeno and mixed it in. I also made bacon and added the grease to the sausage. I've had trouble getting enough fat to make good gravy (wifey doesn't like too much sausage in it) so I've had to use butter in the past but the bacon works so much better. I considered crumbling up some bacon in the gravy but my girls are bacon fiends and I never have any to spare. Even with the concessions I have to make for wifey's tastes, I have to say this was easily the best batch of gravy I've ever made.

Added bonus... I'm not sure exactly what ingredients are in the instant pancake mix, but it seems to mix easier than regular flour. It took no effort at all to get it mixed into the fat.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

There is corn starch in it...that helps it mix better.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

since this came up in another thread, I figured it should be shared here since this is the closest to a recipe/food thread we have ... something one of my aunts introduced me too a long time ago

she would make a pot of good savory onion soup ... and she then would fire up a skillet with some butter and Worcestershire Sauce ... and in that skillet would fry small quarter sized burgers ... they don't take long since they are wee little burgers ... she then would ladle some of her wonderful onion soup into a bowl, slide in a few of those mini burgers, top with some grated cheese and serve with fresh bread on the side

it was simply perfect

I loved my aunt ... and I spent many of my young developing years learning from her that experimenting in the kitchen is a good thing

now, making onion soup can be a pain in the ass but I have a quick recipe that is just fine

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
2 medium large onions (1 Vidalia, 1 standard yellow is ideal)
2 cans beef broth
1/2 cup water
1 package McCormick Au Jus Gravy
4 slices french bread
grated Parmesan cheese

Recipe

peel and quarter onions, then thinly slice each quarter

mix Au Jus gravy with 1/2 cup water in a small bowl, and set aside

melt butter in a 2 quart pot and add onions ... cook until onions are tender and almost translucent ... add broth and Au Jus mixture ... bring to boil ... reduce to simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes

place bread slices on a cookie sheet, top with cheese, and place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned

ladle soup into bowls (add some of the mini burgers if you made them) ... top with the cheesy bread and serve

the mini burgers are simple ... ground beef made into quarter sized patties, browned in a skillet with butter and Worcestershire Sauce (turn only once) ... they don't take long because they are small
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I dig diced onions and onion as a complimentary flavor, but the texture and taste of an onion as a primary part of a dish I don't enjoy at all. Although you do a great job of making it sound good!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I dig diced onions and onion as a complimentary flavor, but the texture and taste of an onion as a primary part of a dish I don't enjoy at all. Although you do a great job of making it sound good!

so you're not an onion soup fan then?

you're missing out dude
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

I need to come up with a way to incorporate bacon into biscuits and gravy.
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
gaba
Head Coach

I don't know if it's a regional thing, but around here, any decent greasy diner would have a hamburger steak... hamburger patty, usually with grilled onions. I absolutely f*&king LOVE grilled onions. I've made dinners with almost the exact ingredients you mention, just in a little different order. A little onion soup mix, mixed up in the hamburger gives a pan-fried burger a little more flavor (since you're not gonna be putting it on a bun and covering it with condiments). I grill the onions first (in butter) and then cook the burgers in the leavings. The diner across from my parents' house has this. It's cheap as dirt and as good as any steak you're gonna get in a crappy diner.

Imp... I've made bacon to go with my biscuits and gravy. I then fry up my sausage in the leftover bacon grease. Makes awesome gravy. I don't see any reason you couldn't crumble up a little bacon in the gravy too. Would probably taste pretty f*&king good. Matter of fact, I got biscuits 'n gravy on the menu later this week. Might have to give it a go. I don't know that I'd go with straight bacon (my sister-in-law does though) but a mixture of sausage and bacon is making me drool as I write this. If I hadn't promised wifey meatloaf and mashed potatoes tomorrow, I might bump it up on the list.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

imprint3454 wrote:I need to come up with a way to incorporate bacon into biscuits and gravy.

that's simple

cook the bacon, let it cool, then crumble it into your biscuit dough ... along with tiny chunks of cheddar cheese ... joila ... bacon / cheddar biscuits to go with your gravy

the big issue here is to not overdo it with the additions, especially with the cheese, or the biscuits will lose their biscuit quality
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Bacon cheddar biscuits sound f*&king awesome. I'm not sure they'd be awesome with gravy (just too many contrasting flavors and textures)... but then, who am I to doubt you? (I'm pretty sure you are personally responsible for about 20lbs. around my midsection.)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:I don't know if it's a regional thing, but around here, any decent greasy diner would have a hamburger steak... hamburger patty, usually with grilled onions. I absolutely f*&king LOVE grilled onions. I've made dinners with almost the exact ingredients you mention, just in a little different order. A little onion soup mix, mixed up in the hamburger gives a pan-fried burger a little more flavor (since you're not gonna be putting it on a bun and covering it with condiments). I grill the onions first (in butter) and then cook the burgers in the leavings. The diner across from my parents' house has this. It's cheap as dirt and as good as any steak you're gonna get in a crappy diner.

the diners in my area, even the dives, cannot handle this seemingly simple dish ... you either get a bready meatloaf type thing or simply a standard hamburger without the bun

now when I was in tech school in the USAF, there was a mom and pop place right near the base that had the wonderful hamburger steak you reference ... thick, flavorful, topped with a mixture of carmelized onions and jalapeno peppers, with a side of mashed potatoes and mexicorn, with fresh cornbread rolls on the side ... that with iced tea might set you back a whopping $5 ... if you had it for lunch, you didn't end up hungry for dinner as it was a satisfying meal that stuck with you
George Carlin