QB Prospect Discussion: Patrick Mahomes II, Texas Tech

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

BamaBear09 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
bearsfaninaz wrote:Here's why I like him.
He can make every throw and with ease.
He can improvise and can elude a rush.
He looks accurate granted haven't seen every throw.
He seems like a leader from everything I've read.
His father was a pro for 10+ years he knows what will be asked and what will happen if don't prepare, so I don't think he'll consider himself set like a Manziel.

This is what don't like
System he came out of.
Mechanics need improvement.
Will he trust his arm to much ala Cutler
Add to the positives... He is football intelligent in the heat of battle. And change one of his negatives... Mechanics need a LOT of improvement. He might require the most mechanical work of all QBs drafted this year.
See this is where I completely disagree. His mechanics aren't bad, they are unorthodox for sure, but if his mechanics were bad his throws wouldn't be so accurate. He needs to work his drops and make them more consistent, this will come with reps but he doesn't need to be fixed. If a coach tries to "fix" his mechanics I think it will break what makes him special. I really think he's the type of kid you take, let him learn the playbook and terminology and when he feels confident in his understanding, he is on the field and I think he'll spend the next 10-12 years out there being exciting and becoming a superstar.
Any west coast team where the QB's footwork is timed to the WR's cuts, and everything is timing based will not be able to plug Mahomes in year 1. That's where people are talking mechanics. No one is ever going to 'fix' his throwing motion. but in a few systems, footwork is crucial to the timing of the release synced up with the break of the WR.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:
His father was a pro for 10+ years he knows what will be asked and what will happen if don't prepare, so I don't think he'll consider himself set like a Manziel.

This is what don't like
System he came out of.
Add to the positives... He is football intelligent in the heat of battle. And change one of his negatives... Mechanics need a LOT of improvement. He might require the most mechanical work of all QBs drafted this year.
See this is where I completely disagree. His mechanics aren't bad, they are unorthodox for sure, but if his mechanics were bad his throws wouldn't be so accurate. He needs to work his drops and make them more consistent, this will come with reps but he doesn't need to be fixed.
You're pretty much on your own with that opinion.

I'm not sure about the 2nd guy (below)'s creds, but it's the same thing I've heard from other experts in audio that I don't have available to link.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... mahomes-ii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Messy mechanics, footwork and body motion and his technique needs rebuilt from the ground up. Drifts in the pocket and throws with an unbalanced base. Narrow, irregular steps in his drops.
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scout ... ahomes.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
his footwork is atrocious. His feet are often planted and that turns him into a statue. He has no idea how to maneuver in a pocket or how to do anything but retreat backward when a rusher gets loose. Keeping your feet active is essential to being able to avoid the rush and moving around within the pocket. Active feet also make it possible for a player to always throw from an ideal platform. That is an area where Mahomes may be one of the worst in the country. He throws off-balance more than any player I have studied, and while the system could be too blame for relying on quick throws and timing so much, there are plenty of instances where his feet are just lazy. This same issue also sees him throw with some unusual arm-angles. Often quarterbacks with gifted arms get complacent and lose discipline but once again with Mahomes, it happens far too often when it isn't necessary. There are honestly throws where he looks like a second baseman turning a double play.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote: You're pretty much on your own with that opinion.

I'm not sure about the 2nd guy (below)'s creds, but it's the same thing I've heard from other experts in audio that I don't have available to link.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... mahomes-ii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Messy mechanics, footwork and body motion and his technique needs rebuilt from the ground up. Drifts in the pocket and throws with an unbalanced base. Narrow, irregular steps in his drops.
http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scout ... ahomes.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
his footwork is atrocious. His feet are often planted and that turns him into a statue. He has no idea how to maneuver in a pocket or how to do anything but retreat backward when a rusher gets loose. Keeping your feet active is essential to being able to avoid the rush and moving around within the pocket. Active feet also make it possible for a player to always throw from an ideal platform. That is an area where Mahomes may be one of the worst in the country. He throws off-balance more than any player I have studied, and while the system could be too blame for relying on quick throws and timing so much, there are plenty of instances where his feet are just lazy. This same issue also sees him throw with some unusual arm-angles. Often quarterbacks with gifted arms get complacent and lose discipline but once again with Mahomes, it happens far too often when it isn't necessary. There are honestly throws where he looks like a second baseman turning a double play.
Lol at the second guy, I have no idea what game tape he watched because Mahomes's feet don't just get planted, he actually has some of the fastest feet of any of the QBs with the ability to reset being one of the top things about his game. You might want to actually research and you will see just how ridiculously wrong the second guy is.

Watch the tape, specifically these that show his ability to quickly set/reset his feet.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here he is climbing the pocket to avoid a free rusher, he isn't just stumbling backward away from the rush, still makes a throw that his receiver can catch and gets a first down. He does this quite a bit, I know they don't end up on the highlight reels (which would also specifically go against the second guys take, but whatev)

Seriously, the second guy looks like he watched like two games of Mahomes and then just based his entire scouting report on it... and if you actually sit down and watch the whole RSP video or read real reports about him

http://www.qbmecca.com/patrick-mahomes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.forwardfantasyfocus.com/fff- ... rett-favre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Based on the two takes you posted and obviously believe, why would you even WANT Mahomes at all, even in the 3rd round, because a complete rebuild of mechanics means he just won't be able to play because by this point, these guys are who they are... Tebow was never able to fix his winding clock throwing motion, no matter who the coach was attempting to help him, the throwing motion and such like that are done because they feel natural and not much is going to change that.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Moriarty wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

This is what don't like
System he came out of.
See this is where I completely disagree. His mechanics aren't bad, they are unorthodox for sure, but if his mechanics were bad his throws wouldn't be so accurate. He needs to work his drops and make them more consistent, this will come with reps but he doesn't need to be fixed.
You're pretty much on your own with that opinion.

The second guy is named

Austin Smith
Austinjs14@aol.com
January 26, 2017

And uses an AOL.com email address... I'm wondering if he actually knows how to use a computer now... I wouldn't accept his opinion on pretty much anything...
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Cannot wait to see this...

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

BamaBear09 wrote:Cannot wait to see this...

I predict he will nail this. Just a guess.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOPR2_WT6E
Joel Klatt's Top 5 QB prospects. *SPOILERS* I didn't know where to put it, so I chose the thread of someone who didn't make the list.
UOK
Site Admin

alexwilkins wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIOPR2_WT6E
Joel Klatt's Top 5 QB prospects. *SPOILERS* I didn't know where to put it, so I chose the thread of someone who didn't make the list.

Hey, another guy saying Kizer's better than any of them because he's apparently got a stronger arm (debatable) and a bigger frame.

Way to invalidate your own list, Klatt.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote:

Hey, another guy saying Kizer's better than any of them because he's apparently got a stronger arm (debatable) and a bigger frame.

At one time Joel Klatt thought he was a QB... so...
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

This is what don't like
System he came out of.
See this is where I completely disagree. His mechanics aren't bad, they are unorthodox for sure, but if his mechanics were bad his throws wouldn't be so accurate. He needs to work his drops and make them more consistent, this will come with reps but he doesn't need to be fixed. If a coach tries to "fix" his mechanics I think it will break what makes him special. I really think he's the type of kid you take, let him learn the playbook and terminology and when he feels confident in his understanding, he is on the field and I think he'll spend the next 10-12 years out there being exciting and becoming a superstar.
Any west coast team where the QB's footwork is timed to the WR's cuts, and everything is timing based will not be able to plug Mahomes in year 1. That's where people are talking mechanics. No one is ever going to 'fix' his throwing motion. but in a few systems, footwork is crucial to the timing of the release synced up with the break of the WR.
Excellent point and why my guess is that Pace will want nothing to do with Mahomes. Dowell Loggains bites us again. :(
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote:
Atkins&Rebel wrote:
BamaBear09 wrote:
Mikefive wrote:

This is what don't like
System he came out of.
Excellent point and why my guess is that Pace will want nothing to do with Mahomes. Dowell Loggains bites us again. :(
Wrong. Mike Glennon makes it possible to take any QB the team believes to one day be a franchise player. I just have severe doubts that Glennon will be anything more than a poor placeholder for whomever we eventually draft.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:

Is Klatt a respected talent evaluator?
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:
UOK wrote:

Is Klatt a respected talent evaluator?
I know he's a big player at the college level, he had a Heisman vote at one point, but gave it up. So, yea, I'd say so.
UOK
Site Admin

@RapSheet
9m
Along with a #AZCardinals workout Thurs, #TexasTech QB Patrick Mahomes has had dinner with #Bears brass & worked out for #Chargers & #Browns
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@RapSheet
9m
Along with a #AZCardinals workout Thurs, #TexasTech QB Patrick Mahomes has had dinner with #Bears brass & worked out for #Chargers & #Browns
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

How can you not just get excited about this kid? The love is really there and the desire to understand... mix that with that arm and it will be a fun show to watch going forward...

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The more I have watched the QBs, the more I am convinced he is the best qb in this class. Sure his footwork and throwing motion is all over the place. However talent wise he is tops. His videos show a kid getting better with mechanics. Then there is that "IT" factor. You can't quantify it, but he and Watson have the most tangible "IT".

I started trying to diagnosis the QB myers Briggs type, as maybe it explains the "IT". The proposition is ESTP is the desired, ENTP seems like second . Most of us remember the article

leaf vs manning

My initial guesses

Mahomes ES?P he has both T and F
Watson ENTJ
Trubisky INF?
Kizer ESTJ

Still reading a bunch of crap on identification and watching interviews. Maybe its confirmation Bias, but Mahomes has cemented the best QB for me.
Last edited by mmmc_35 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funkster
MVP

I really like Mahomes. The things I like are also the things that scare me. He flashes as an unpolished Cutler. I'm not sure Pace would be willing to hitch the cart to that wagon?
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
G08
Hall of Famer

I love watching QBs like Mahomes, Rodgers, Favre, Carr, etc. Bad ass mother fucking gunslingers; Rodgers is by far the most refined that I have ever seen (meaning we can't expect those results from a Mahomes).

I'd have a blast watching him and rooting him on, but I just don't think he's the QB Pace/Fox are looking for (see: Glennon, Mike).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Funkster
MVP

G08 wrote:I love watching QBs like Mahomes, Rodgers, Favre, Carr, etc. Bad ass mother fucking gunslingers; Rodgers is by far the most refined that I have ever seen (meaning we can't expect those results from a Mahomes).

I'd have a blast watching him and rooting him on, but I just don't think he's the QB Pace/Fox are looking for (see: Glennon, Mike).
I agree 100%
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Funkster wrote:
G08 wrote:I love watching QBs like Mahomes, Rodgers, Favre, Carr, etc. Bad ass mother fucking gunslingers; Rodgers is by far the most refined that I have ever seen (meaning we can't expect those results from a Mahomes).

I agree 100%
I definitely agree and have pretty much already accepted he will be somewhere else... I really hope it's Arizona but it would really be interesting to see what Andy Reid could do with him in KC.
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

Can't teach this...

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08
Hall of Famer

There's a lot of talk that Mahomes is going top 12.

We'll see...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Take Mahomes or Watson at 3 and be done with it. Tired of seeing other teams trying to build that position through the draft other than us. I don't need Nathan Peterman in Round 2 or Kaaya in Round 3.
Never Die Easy
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

FYI, I don't care if Mahomes appears like he'd be a reach at 3. If the Bears have a high grade on him and can't trade down a few spots. I wouldn't risk it. Guys like Aaron Rodgers in 2005 was thought of as a reach in the top 5 and he turned out fine. Not saying Mahomes is Rodgers, just saying if the Bears have a high mark on him - take your guy!
Never Die Easy
BamaBear09
Assistant Coach

DaSuperfan wrote:FYI, I don't care if Mahomes appears like he'd be a reach at 3. If the Bears have a high grade on him and can't trade down a few spots. I wouldn't risk it. Guys like Aaron Rodgers in 2005 was thought of as a reach in the top 5 and he turned out fine. Not saying Mahomes is Rodgers, just saying if the Bears have a high mark on him - take your guy!
Exactly... if it were my job riding on it and even if I thought I was the only guy in the league with a high grade on him, I'm taking him pretty much wherever I am... yes it would be better to be able to trade down and get more value for the pick but that's never a sure thing... all it takes is another guy to have high marks on a player who is before you and boom, your guy is gone. Hell the draft is a huge crap shoot anyway... you can never fully foresee how a guy is going to be in the locker room or if the guy is gonna blow out his knee on his first carry in the preseason... gotta just trust your gut and pick based on your board...
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I hope we take him. He's going to be good. I'd rather him than anyone else even Garrett just because he'll have more impact in games as he has ball every down.
Adipost
MVP

DaSuperfan wrote:FYI, I don't care if Mahomes appears like he'd be a reach at 3. If the Bears have a high grade on him and can't trade down a few spots. I wouldn't risk it. Guys like Aaron Rodgers in 2005 was thought of as a reach in the top 5 and he turned out fine. Not saying Mahomes is Rodgers, just saying if the Bears have a high mark on him - take your guy!
I'm glad you're not the Bears GM.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Adipost wrote:
I'm glad you're not the Bears GM.
Okay wise guy, what's your plan for QB? Propose a better solution at QB.
Never Die Easy