random thoughts about stuff other than da Bears

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

If you drop a slinky down the steps of an up escalator, would the slinky reach the bottom or the top first?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

What if C A T actually spelled DOG
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
George Carlin
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

Why is it called the can when a toilet is actually a bowl?
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

Is it "pop" or "soda"?
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Is it "pop" or "soda"?
It's pop.
MamaBear
Player of the Month

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?
gaba
Head Coach

wab wrote:Is it "pop" or "soda"?
UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:It's pop.
It was pop when I was 6. Of course, I also said doodie, weiner and pee-pee. Now I'm a grown man that doesn't talk like Beaver Cleaver. Soda.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

In the battle of pop v. soda, where's the love for cola?
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
wab
Mod

I actually call it whatever it is...ie, coke, pepsi, sprite. But otherwise it's soda.
MamaBear
Player of the Month

POP
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I actually call it whatever it is...ie, coke, pepsi, sprite. But otherwise it's soda.
I'll second that

I remember being in middle school and everyone calling all sodas "Coke"

so I was always pissed when asked "wanna coke?" and then get some generic Safeway product
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

imprint3454 wrote:In the battle of pop v. soda, where's the love for cola?
On the short bus where it belongs. Soda and/or pop is a pretty non-specific name that can cover pretty much any fizzy beverage. Cola is a flavor. Like coke, it's an over generalization. For the most part, I'm with WAB. When I want a pepsi. I say I want a f*&king pepsi. Just one pepsi. (Why won't you give it to me?)
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Doesn't a lightning rod on top of church show a lack of faith?
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Why do people say "heads up" when you should duck?
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:Why do people say "heads up" when you should duck?
I always thought that was because it's funny and we're sadistic f*&ks.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

At a movie theater which arm rest is yours?

If girls with large breasts work at Hooters, then do girls with one leg work at IHOP?

If pro and con are opposites, wouldn't the opposite of progress be congress?
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

If a transvesite goes missing, would youu put their face on a carton of Half and Half?

How do you handcuff a one-armed man?

If you get cheated by the Better Business Bureau, who do you complain to?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

3 for today :

Why does mineral water that has trickled through mountains for centuries have a use by date?

If the professor on Gilligan's Island could make a radio out of a coconut, why couldn't he fix a hole in a boat?

Why is a person who handles money called a broker?
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

your smile inducing picture for the day

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

seems anyone can be deemed a "celebrity" these days ... used to be, one had to work to gain that status ... now? anyone, and I mean ANYONE, can be thrown into the spotlight and pushed upon us as celebrities we should watch

uh ... no

I'll offer up the Jersey Shore nitwits as a prime example of this phenomenon ... watched that show once just to see what all the hub bub was about ... geeze ... what a pile of shit ... complete with a cast of characters you just want to punch in the face

Chaz Bono is another example ... his/her/its claim to fame was to be born to celebrity parents ... so that makes him/her/it a celebrity by default? why? for choosing to turn herself from a generic plain Jane girl to a goofy looking fat fuck guy? yeah yeah, I know ... people have gender issues, and so on ... but I don't see how this fat stupid smug being is a poster person to gain sympathy for that cause

when you look back on old time movie stars and celebrities, like Errol Flynn, Jane Mansfield, Henry Fonda, Sophia Loren ... or a modern era legitimate star in say George Clooney ... people who have/had talent and something to offer much more than simply a willingness to be a dumbass with cameras rolling

the term "celebrity" has been cheapened and diluted to the point of being obsolete due to the ever more polluted talent pool from which they are derived

sign of the times I guess ... and kind of sad

ImageImageImage
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:... but I don't see how this fat stupid smug being is a poster person to gain sympathy for that cause...
I honestly don't know much about Chaz Bono beyond his transgender identity. Is he an asshole? I don't watch the show. Still, this isn't an issue that has a lot of well known examples. Alexis Arquette is the only other I can think of and she went the scary drag-queen route. Chaz is a lot less threatening. As for being famous because of his parents... that might be a plus here. People remember seeing him grow up. Given, he was a she at the time, but it's still a little harder to hate someone when you can picture them as a sweet little girl singing with Mommy. Using your family name for fame is sh*tty. Using it to change the world I can live with.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Using your family name for fame is sh*tty. Using it to change the world I can live with.
and I can see that aspect

what I don't see is this particular person doing that ... I see them doing their best to be an attention whore, but not in furthering any cause ... or maybe the attention whore quest is what passes as his/her best effort to further a cause? which is kind of weak ... and some transgendered groups claim Bono is doing disservice rather than helping

perhaps Bono's spat with FOX might bring more attention to things ... there was a FOX News report regarding transgendered people where the FOX doctor called Bono psychotic and delusional ... haven't heard much of a follow up on that ... and the latest Bono news was a story back in January where it was declared he/she is saving to buy a penis ... so apparently all the other surgeries and hormone treatments were only for part of the job
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

It all sounds just a little insane, but that's kind of the point here. Normalizing or whatever you call it. The more we see him, the more we get used to the fact that there are women out there that want to be men (and vice versa, obviously) and the less weird it seems. Seriously... there will come a day when you look back on this, sitting at a bar drinking a beer with your buddies Samanthor and Jessicalvin, and wonder why it bothered you so much.

... and of course he wants a penis. Anyone that calls himself HE, wants a penis. He can dress as a man, behave as a man, call himself a man's name and BE, for all outward appearances, a man 24 hours of every day but without a penis he is not a man. That we think that is crazy, is part of the problem.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:... and of course he wants a penis. Anyone that calls himself HE, wants a penis. He can dress as a man, behave as a man, call himself a man's name and BE, for all outward appearances, a man 24 hours of every day but without a penis he is not a man. That we think that is crazy, is part of the problem.
I don't think that is crazy

what is crazy is all the surgeries and announcements and pronouncements about the new him ... and he wasn't a finished product ... and I'm guessing that is why many transgendered groups don't look kindly upon Bono's trials and tribulations ... lots of hoopla, lots of me me me stuff, and not a lot in the way of helping any understanding

not all transgendered people are grandstanding attention whores ... and many of them actually apply themselves in useful ways to further education of the matter

Chazza-dazza ding dong just comes across as nuts
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Just considering the culture we live in, who is going to bring more recognition to your cause... an intelligent, well spoken individual hoping to change the world, or a self-promoting attention whore looking to make a buck?

BONY2012!
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
KOP_Snake
Head Coach

I dont know much about Chaz Bono other than being on Dancing with the Stars, which I dont watch anyway. If he's just got a horrible personality as far as being rude/conceited, whatever, i can see Boris's problem. If its just all about the transgender thing... who gives a shit? Society places a lot of emphasis on gender and what category to lump you into based on it. If you're going to get all caught up in someone not conforming to society's standards, in this regard, well it just seems like a waste of time.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

my issue is the very high asshole factor with the Chazza-dazza ding dong, not the transgender issues which he SHOULD be playing a larger role in helping with understanding due to the celebrity status but who instead is pissing off transgender groups

Bono's appearance on Dancing with the Stars has brought the community more in the public eye and more together as they defend Bono's against the bile being thrown his way just because of his transgendered status ... so in this case his celebrity status is kind of helping, but more by accident than intent
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a Darwin Award winner in waiting

since the weather has turned nicer, idiot man is back jogging in traffic ... this douche wears dark clothing in the dark, no reflective gear, and will jog off the sidewalk into traffic for no apparent reason ... and where is his favorite jogging path? well right along the main access road to the Metro station

someone someday is going to run this idiot over ... and he'll deserve it ... but the vehicle driver is who will end up in trouble, which won't be fair
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

What's the world coming to when neighborhood watch people are carrying guns and following people?

Neighborhood WATCH actually following people!

When we did a watch we may have walked the neighborhood but we didn't confront passers thru. We kept an eye on them and made sure they made their way thru. Or we sat on the porch keeping any eye on things. BUT carrying guns!!!!