R1,P2: Mitch Trubisky, QB - North Carolina

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

G08
Hall of Famer

Jim Miller is on Sirius right now and said that he was told that the Browns front office promised Haslem that once they picked Garrett that they would move and get Trubisky.

He was apparently furious when the Bears picked him.
:rofl:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

wab
Mod

Should've taken him at 1 then.
G08
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

It's so basic but God I just fucking love this ball.

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:[video][/video]

It's so basic but God I just fucking love this ball.

Crap, I saw 2 interceptions and a few incompletions. We are screwed. Why did the Bears trade up for this bum???

Kidding.

He is much more mobile than what I thought he was, noticed this more since he was drafted. Saw him sling 50yds accurately without his feet set. Generally speaking, I have seen him make mistakes here and there but at least the ball is getting where he wants it. That safety pick was a mental error that is correctable with experience. (Not just this reel, but commenting in combination of the few reels I have seen). Being that you never know how these guys will react to the NFL level, he does look to have tools to do it. Although I don't want to see him play much in first year, I can't help to be excited to see him progress. Hopefully in the positive.
G08
Hall of Famer

He's got all the physical tools to succeed, just needs to learn the NFL game, hence why I'm good with him sitting all of 2017.

Hematite
Player of the Month

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

some good stuff in there, although his conclusion is pretty lol:

Trubisky would have been better off being a secnd-round pick, like Derek Carr and Andy Dalton. Both of those quarterbacks fell to the second round, allowing their teams to grab elite players with their first round picks (Khalil Mack and A.J. Green, respectively).

as long as you're fantasizing about completely implausible scenarios, why not say that the bears would be better off waiting til the 7th round to take him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:
Jim Miller is on Sirius right now and said that he was told that the Browns front office promised Haslem that once they picked Garrett that they would move and get Trubisky.

He was apparently furious when the Bears picked him.
:rofl:

Pace knew Cleveland was trying to move up to take him because Pace was talking to Cleveland about the Bears #3 pick ... wonder if Cleveland was also talking to San Fran while the Bears were?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Pace knew Cleveland was trying to move up to take him because Pace was talking to Cleveland about the Bears #3 pick ... wonder if Cleveland was also talking to San Fran while the Bears were?
Bears could have gotten a lot from a trade back.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote:
Boris13c wrote: Pace knew Cleveland was trying to move up to take him because Pace was talking to Cleveland about the Bears #3 pick ... wonder if Cleveland was also talking to San Fran while the Bears were?
Bears could have gotten a lot from a trade back.

yes ... but then Pace wouldn't have gotten the guy he coveted
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He safely drove his POS car to Halas Hall.
G08
Hall of Famer

How do you not love this kid :lol:

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Young Romo, hopefully without the injuries.
MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:How do you not love this kid :lol:
I absolutely do love this kid. I am honestly looking forward to you and I agreeing on a Bears QB. I feel like I should send you flowers or something.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
G08
Hall of Famer

MoFugger wrote:
I absolutely do love this kid. I am honestly looking forward to you and I agreeing on a Bears QB. I feel like I should send you flowers or something.

We liked Barkley didn't we :lol:

MoFugger
Head Coach

G08 wrote:
MoFugger wrote:

We liked Barkley didn't we :lol:
Yeah. But that was kind of like being set up with your aunt's hairdressers daughter.
We are in third date territory now.

UOK
Site Admin

JoshNorris
29m
Pace brought up Trubisky's ability to extend plays with his athleticism while keeping his eyes up.

I think that was differentiator vs DW

@JoshNorris
Pace used a term I've never heard before...

"Funny Body Throws"

Off balance passes, awkward positions, across your body, etc. "Mitch can."
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@JoshNorris

"Funny Body Throws"

that's nice, but hopefully not to be encouraged as a default mode ... I really hope they handle this kid correctly and actually prepare him for life in the NFL
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

http://www.theonion.com/article/im-just ... lMarketing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CHICAGO—Saying that he is solely focused on becoming the best quarterback possible, a 22-year-old first-round draft pick who will get most of the franchise leadership fired told reporters Monday that he is “just here to win football games.” “Making it to the NFL has always been my dream, and I’m really excited to go out there and have some fun playing the sport I love,” said the second overall pick, whose poor on-field performance and lack of noticeable improvement over the next three years will lead to the terminations of his head coach, offensive coordinator, head scout, GM, and 70 percent of the front office staff before he himself is released the following season. “I just want to show what I’m made of and leave it all out there for the team. I’m ready to prove myself and help take us to the next level.” The draft pick also added he was excited to deliver a championship to the fans that will one day burn his jersey in effigy.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:@JoshNorris

"Funny Body Throws"

that's nice, but hopefully not to be encouraged as a default mode ... I really hope they handle this kid correctly and actually prepare him for life in the NFL
I agree and based on the coaches liking Hoyer's style and disliking Cutler's, that's a fair bet. Still, the NFL is a fluid game and occasionally unorthodox plays happen. (I liked that in the Pat Mahomes tape.) Aaron Rodgers isn't in perfect form on every throw and his ability to be creative when things don't go perfectly help him be so good.

I heard something on the radio today by Moon Mullin that I hadn't heard before. Multiple teams were negotiating deal prep to trade up to #5. But when Trubisky came off the board at #2, their phone went silent. That doesn't mean that Trubisky will be good. But it does mean that 2-3 teams thought enough of him to be interested in moving up for him in the top 5. And it really adds fuel to the explanation why Pace needed to jump up to #2 to get him. He was the only top 5 QB on NFL boards, apparently.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Trubisky's Rookie Mini Camp

Man I hope these quotes from NFL scouts are accurate.
Two AFC scouts revealed that they had the highest grade on Trubisky that they’d had on any quarterback over the past six years. That means: higher than Jameis Winston; higher than Marcus Mariota; higher than Cam Newton; higher than Russell Wilson; higher than Andrew Luck; higher than Derek Carr; higher than Carson Wentz.

The evaluation of one NFC regional scouting team was that “Trubisky is an almost perfect quarterback prospect” and that 'the Bears should count their lucky stars he only started 13 games because if he was a two-year starter, he goes 1/1 [overall No. 1] without hesitation.”
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:http://www.theonion.com/article/im-just ... lMarketing

CHICAGO—Saying that he is solely focused on becoming the best quarterback possible, a 22-year-old first-round draft pick who will get most of the franchise leadership fired told reporters Monday that he is “just here to win football games.” “Making it to the NFL has always been my dream, and I’m really excited to go out there and have some fun playing the sport I love,” said the second overall pick, whose poor on-field performance and lack of noticeable improvement over the next three years will lead to the terminations of his head coach, offensive coordinator, head scout, GM, and 70 percent of the front office staff before he himself is released the following season. “I just want to show what I’m made of and leave it all out there for the team. I’m ready to prove myself and help take us to the next level.” The draft pick also added he was excited to deliver a championship to the fans that will one day burn his jersey in effigy.

The Onion rocks :headbang:
George Carlin
Johnny
Rookie

Loved the pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

Some Trubisky "cut ups"

https://storify.com/JoshNorris/mitch-trubisky-clips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

G08 -

That clip of Trub throwing the bomb. 60yds seems like a solid arm strength.

I said a million times, Trubisky was "My Guy" for the draft. Didn't like the trade up at the time and was hoping for trade down to get him. But the more time that goes by, I like it more and more. If he pans out, who gives a shit about what they traded away.
G08
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:G08 -

I said a million times, Trubisky was "My Guy" for the draft. Didn't like the trade up at the time and was hoping for trade down to get him. But the more time that goes by, I like it more and more. If he pans out, who gives a shit about what they traded away.
It's a solid arm for sure, more than enough for the NFL.

At the end of the day, it cost us pick #67 and a 2018 3rd rounder. We recouped that 4th round pick by trading down in round 2. I can live with that, honestly.

DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote:
46Blitz wrote:G08 -

It's a solid arm for sure, more than enough for the NFL.

At the end of the day, it cost us pick #67 and a 2018 3rd rounder. We recouped that 4th round pick by trading down in round 2. I can live with that, honestly.
Also got an extra 4th rounder in next year's draft too.
Never Die Easy
G08
Hall of Famer

Awesome read on Trubisky:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705 ... nes-asking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;