R2,P45: Adam Shaheen, TE - Ashland

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:You have to scratch your head and wonder if this guy, like many other of our picks this year would have been available later.

It was reported that Shaheen was the Broncos pick if he had been there 6 picks later. So, no, he wouldn't have been available later.
I don't know if I buy that. Anyway, Denver drafted Jake Butt 100 picks later.
100 picks later because he'll start the season on PUP and so won't play until October if he plays at all this season.

I live in Denver and they were definitely high on him. Local media people plugged into the team thought they were targeting him there. They were bummed when he went off the board.
wab
Mod

A lot of Broncos fans I know thought they were going to take Shaheen in the first. So.
UOK
Site Admin

PACE: "Any small school player we watch, we really want to see him dominate the level of competition and this guy definitely did that. Great character, high football intelligence, strong work ethic, and you know what stands out, for a guy with his size, his athleticism jumps out. He's one of those guys, when you're watching tape, you have to keep looking down and go, 'Man, this guy's 6-6 1/2 and 278 pounds and he moves like that. Good route quickness, good ability to separate, natural hands, good body control, big catching radius. You can feel his basketball background, his ability to go up and highpoint balls in a crowd. Just a good combination of size and strength and speed after the catch."

Pace on the type of tight end Shaheen can play in the offense: "He's built like a Y TE, an in-line tight end but he has the route quickness to play what we call the F role, so it's really interesting because a guy that big, he's a difficult guy to defend in traffic because he's big, he can go attack the ball and he's got really good concentration so this is really interesting for us."

Pace on how Shaheen uses his basketball experience to catch passes in traffic: “He’s so strong. Guys will drape on him and he can still have the concentration to make the catch. But the point I want to get across with him is for a guy that’s as big as he is, he’s got good route quickness and good route savviness to set guys up. And I think that’s what really impressed us all. For as big as he is … is this guy really 6-6 ½ and 278 pounds because he doesn’t move like that. He moves like a more agile player than you would think for a guy with that kind of size.”

John Fox on what stood out about Shaheen: "With Adam, what was very impressive of his was – which is also very important in basketball, having dabbled in that at a young age – the body control for a big man. Guys that you watch in the NBA, they’re extremely… they have good hands and have to have very good body control to play the game of basketball at a high level. This guy brought that. He’s pretty impressive in what he can do in terms of adjusting and catching footballs.”
wab
Mod

Even at the possible expense of my guy, I'm probably most excited to see how this pick turns out.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote:Even at the possible expense of my guy, I'm probably most excited to see how this pick turns out.
I hope he comes in and just fucks people up. I hope he says stupid shit to the media and becomes the swaggering, lumbering asshole that this team needs and fires the team up.
Adipost
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:
ramentaschen wrote:You have to scratch your head and wonder if this guy, like many other of our picks this year would have been available later.

It was reported that Shaheen was the Broncos pick if he had been there 6 picks later. So, no, he wouldn't have been available later.
100 picks later because he'll start the season on PUP and so won't play until October if he plays at all this season.

I live in Denver and they were definitely high on him. Local media people plugged into the team thought they were targeting him there. They were bummed when he went off the board.
Yet he'll still probably get a start before Shaheen.
UOK
Site Admin

Adipost wrote: Yet he'll still probably get a start before Shaheen.
Zach Miller - injured always, likely to be cut at some point soon
Dion Sims - primarily a blocker
Daniel Brown - depth, primarily special teams/2TE package guy
Ben Braunecker - roster bubble

Shaheen, a second round pick, is healthy and isn't going to fuck around waiting for his turn.

MEANWHILE IN DENVER

...the Broncos have, get ready for it, EIGHT (8) tight ends on their roster currently, and Jake Butt - a 5th round pick - is recovering from a December 30th ACL tear, and may not be ready to play in the preseason.

Let's take a look at the Broncos depth chart and see where Butt falls in there, shall we?Image

Oh, holy shit. Yeah that's an uphill climb.

So yeah, maybe just slow the roll a little bit, Adi.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

UOK wrote:

Shaheen, a second round pick, is healthy and isn't going to fuck around waiting for his turn.

MEANWHILE IN DENVER

...the Broncos have, get ready for it, EIGHT (8) tight ends on their roster currently, and Jake Butt - a 5th round pick - is recovering from a December 30th ACL tear, and may not be ready to play in the preseason.

Let's take a look at the Broncos depth chart and see where Butt falls in there, shall we?Image

None of the Broncos TE's are very good and they haven't been happy with the position since Julius Thomas left. They were so unhappy with them they traded with the Patriots to get one and he did nothing.

But Butt seems unlikely to play before Shaheen with Butt coming off the injury and having to start out on PUP.
UOK
Site Admin

TheWorldBreaker wrote:
UOK wrote:

MEANWHILE IN DENVER

None of the Broncos TE's are very good and they haven't been happy with the position since Julius Thomas left. They were so unhappy with them they traded with the Patriots to get one and he did nothing.

But Butt seems unlikely to play before Shaheen with Butt coming off the injury and having to start out on PUP.
They also drafted a QB in round 1 last year but he got outplayed by a 7th rounder out of Northwestern, so never discount a surprise - this may work in favor of OR against my point about Butt.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:
wab wrote:Even at the possible expense of my guy, I'm probably most excited to see how this pick turns out.
I hope he comes in and just fucks people up. I hope he says stupid shit to the media and becomes the swaggering, lumbering asshole that this team needs and fires the team up.

a Chicago style Gronk?

that would certainly be cool :thumbsup:

need to give him a WWE style nickname ....
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Before we get carried away with all the "Gronk" references, let the kid play an actual NFL down before we give him nicknames. :)

He needs to earn that nickname in the NFL IMO.
Never Die Easy
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

DaSuperfan wrote:Before we get carried away with all the "Gronk" references, let the kid play an actual NFL down before we give him nicknames. :)

He needs to earn that nickname in the NFL IMO.
Greg "Third Leg" Olson got his before playing in the NFL.
ysleblanc
MVP

Adipost wrote:
TheWorldBreaker wrote:
Adipost wrote:
Hiphopopotamos wrote:

Yet he'll still probably get a start before Shaheen.

Not sure about getting a start, but being a matchup nightmare I expect he will get looks on 3rd down and other passing downs from day 1.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Sneak him into a 2 TE set with this personnel:

Meredith, White, Cohen, Miller Sheehan
Or go 0 RB and throw Wheaton or Wright out there in the slot or a set of trips

Things could get fun this year even without a bona fide WR1
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

http://www.patriots.com/video/2017/03/0 ... te-ashland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

12:00 minutes
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Is it me, or does he look a bit stiff and uncomfortable? Something, I don't know. Maybe it was the footage, I'm looking forward to seeing him against NFL guys...
G08
Hall of Famer

He's a big boy and I think he lumbers a bit at times... can argue he's a bit top-heavy. We have to remember he's only been this size for 3-4 years, if that. I'm expecting more out of him in 2018 than 2017.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

True..... which makes me kinda want Miller to stay and do something. He will likely get hurt at some point. But kinda a stopgap till...
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

He has very little definition on his body. If he can "redshirt", and live in the weight room for a year, that would benefit him immensely.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

alexwilkins wrote:He has very little definition on his body. If he can "redshirt", and live in the weight room for a year, that would benefit him immensely.
Definition don't mean nothin'.
They're football players not Olympic posers.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
wab
Mod

Olsen didn't have much definition either. Or Heath Miller, or Dallas Clark, or Jason Witten. They were/are just big thick dudes.

Not every TE has to look like Vernon Davis or Marty B. Hell, Kellen Davis was a physical specimen.

I know he's compared to Gronk a lot, but he doesn't have to have that guy's body. It's his playing style that draws comparisons. He also put up one more rep on the bench at the combine than Gronk did and one less than Witten.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

I don't know what definition has anything to do with it. My point was more along the lines that he runs like he has a stick up his ass. Dosnt mean he isn't going to be a good football player. Just looks like he needs to loosen up.
wab
Mod

46Blitz wrote:I don't know what definition has anything to do with it. My point was more along the lines that he runs like he has a stick up his ass. Dosnt mean he isn't going to be a good football player. Just looks like he needs to loosen up.
It was in reference to this...
alexwilkins wrote:He has very little definition on his body. If he can "redshirt", and live in the weight room for a year, that would benefit him immensely.
DaSuperfan
Crafty Veteran

Stick up his ass or not, he carries his weight well and runs pretty well for a dude that's almost 6'7 278 pounds.
Never Die Easy
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

One thing about Shaheen... He doesn't do a good job of using that big body or his hands to break tackles against inferior opponents. He does it a little bit, but not as much as I'd expect against guys who are approaching 100# lighter than he is. I expect him to catch the ball just fine and his route running is above average for such a big guy. But I sure don't expect much RAC from him. But that won't be an issue at all if he scores TDs.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:
46Blitz wrote:I don't know what definition has anything to do with it. My point was more along the lines that he runs like he has a stick up his ass. Dosnt mean he isn't going to be a good football player. Just looks like he needs to loosen up.
It was in reference to this...
I wasn't responding to you wab, it was a response to Wilkins....

Point it, I don't think he needs the weight room. Think some Kung Fu training is a little more like it.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Well, first, Olsen and them played against the best possible competition. Shaheen way hasn't. Also, I didn't say the dude was out of shape. I didn't say he NEEDED to. I meant, like in the photo of the rookies with Mrs. McCaskey, he looked like he could fill in his frame. Playing D-II, and being as natural a talent as he is, he probably didn't need to be as strong as he could be, while at Ashland.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:One thing about Shaheen... He doesn't do a good job of using that big body or his hands to break tackles against inferior opponents. He does it a little bit, but not as much as I'd expect against guys who are approaching 100# lighter than he is. I expect him to catch the ball just fine and his route running is above average for such a big guy. But I sure don't expect much RAC from him. But that won't be an issue at all if he scores TDs.

that is kind of counter to what Pace said was the reason he drafted him ... Pace said choosing a guy playing in a lesser division, you want to see him dominate at that level, and Shaheen did

Pace on Shaheen

but you're saying he can't break tackles, which if true, is not a facet of dominating at a lower level
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Adipost
MVP

UOK wrote:PACE: "Any small school player we watch, we really want to see him dominate the level of competition and this guy definitely did that. Great character, high football intelligence, strong work ethic, and you know what stands out, for a guy with his size, his athleticism jumps out. He's one of those guys, when you're watching tape, you have to keep looking down and go, 'Man, this guy's 6-6 1/2 and 278 pounds and he moves like that. Good route quickness, good ability to separate, natural hands, good body control, big catching radius. You can feel his basketball background, his ability to go up and highpoint balls in a crowd. Just a good combination of size and strength and speed after the catch."

Pace on the type of tight end Shaheen can play in the offense: "He's built like a Y TE, an in-line tight end but he has the route quickness to play what we call the F role, so it's really interesting because a guy that big, he's a difficult guy to defend in traffic because he's big, he can go attack the ball and he's got really good concentration so this is really interesting for us."

Pace on how Shaheen uses his basketball experience to catch passes in traffic: “He’s so strong. Guys will drape on him and he can still have the concentration to make the catch. But the point I want to get across with him is for a guy that’s as big as he is, he’s got good route quickness and good route savviness to set guys up. And I think that’s what really impressed us all. For as big as he is … is this guy really 6-6 ½ and 278 pounds because he doesn’t move like that. He moves like a more agile player than you would think for a guy with that kind of size.”

John Fox on what stood out about Shaheen: "With Adam, what was very impressive of his was – which is also very important in basketball, having dabbled in that at a young age – the body control for a big man. Guys that you watch in the NBA, they’re extremely… they have good hands and have to have very good body control to play the game of basketball at a high level. This guy brought that. He’s pretty impressive in what he can do in terms of adjusting and catching footballs.”
I don’t think that Matt Nagy sees in Shaheen what Pace saw in Shaheen. I think Pace saw a Gronk type player who could kill you in line or out in the slot. Nagy just sees a conventional big TE, and that’s why the first thing he told Pace was that he needed a TE who could play the slot. If you look at big TE’s like Ertz, Gronk, and Kelce, a big chunk of their offensive production is when they are split out away from the line. So Shaheen is unlikely to live up to his draft position, as I assume Burton will be playing almost exclusively outside since he is built more like a RB than a TE.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I love that John Fox quote. Its so indicative of his tenure with the team. In half that quote he was talking about the wrong sport.