Hossa may be forced to retire due to "The Gunk" allergy

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/repo ... as-career/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marian Hossa’s career could be over, according to a report by Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.

Hossa has been dealing with a “serious allergy” to his hockey equipment, according to the report, and has been taking medicine to fight the allergy. According to Sportsnet, Hossa’s doctors are concerned about him taking the medicine long term.

Messages left with Hossa, his agent, and the Blackhawks were not immediately returned.

Hossa scored 26 goals last season, the 19th of his Hall of Fame career. The 38-year-old is signed for four more seasons, and an early retirement would leave the Hawks with a “recapture penalty” that would count $3.675 million against the salary cap for the next four years. But if the allergy situation is indeed forcing him out of hockey, he could possibly go on long-term injured reserve for the next four years, which would take his $5.275-million cap hit off the books completely.

Hossa, a three-time Stanley Cup champion with the Hawks, has 525 goals and 609 assists in 1,309 career games, and is one of the premier two-way players in the game. He indicated after the season that he was fully planning to return to the lineup.

Hossa wouldn’t be the first player to retire early because of such an allergy. “The Gunk,” as it was known in the 1970s and 1980s, affected many players, and drove former Hawks and North Stars defenseman Tom Reid out of the game in 1978.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Marian Hossa reveals skin disorder, to miss season
Chicago Blackhawks winger Marian Hossa will not play in the NHL next season, saying in a statement that he has been receiving treatment for a skin disorder.

"Over the course of the last few years, under the supervision of the Blackhawks medical staff, I have been privately undergoing treatment for a progressive skin disorder and the side effects of the medications involved to treat the disorder," Hossa said Wednesday morning. "Due to the severe side effects associated with those medications, playing hockey is not possible for me during the upcoming 2017-18 season. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to play, I have to consider the severity of my condition and how the treatments have impacted my life both on and off the ice."

Hossa, 38, thanked the Blackhawks for their support and said he would not comment further on his health.

The statement followed a Sportsnet.ca report Tuesday that Hossa's career could be over due to a severe allergic reaction caused by his hockey equipment.
so he is definitely out for at least a year, maybe for good
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

It's basically Hossa doing Hossa things and not saying it's over until it's over. I respect that.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This all really sounds pretty suspicious to me. If he retires, Hawks take on big cap hit. If on long term IR they get some relief and can sign a player. Love me some Hossa and will miss him, but could this be the Hawks doing Hawks things?
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:This all really sounds pretty suspicious to me. If he retires, Hawks take on big cap hit. If on long term IR they get some relief and can sign a player. Love me some Hossa and will miss him, but could this be the Hawks doing Hawks things?
Oh, more than likely.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:It's basically Hossa doing Hossa things and not saying it's over until it's over. I respect that.

and I'm thankful for what he's done for the Blackhawks ... kind of sad about his health issues though, and I wish him well on that

though his condition does sound like something wonderful Sydney Crosby should contract :evilgrin:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin