Marc-Andre Fleury headlines Golden Knights' expansion draft

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Marc-Andre Fleury, Marc Methot, James Neal headline Golden Knights' expansion draft haul
Marc-Andre Fleury already is a champion. Now he's a Golden Knight.

The veteran goaltender was selected by the Vegas Golden Knights in their expansion draft, the results of which were announced Wednesday during the 2017 NHL Awards telecast. The announcement comes on the 14th anniversary of Fleury's being selected first overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2003 draft.

Fleury, who was on hand for Wednesday night's ceremony, received the largest cheer from the Las Vegas fans, something that surprised the 32-year-old.

"I didn't know that was coming," Fleury said. "I was a little surprised by that. That was a warm welcome, and I'm getting excited about it."

Fleury now goes from the two-time reigning Stanley Cup champions to the desert expansion team.

"I'm not looking to be the face of much," Fleury said when asked of being his new team's star player. "I'm just trying to come and play hockey."

His old team's star player, Sidney Crosby, spoke glowingly of the netminder.

"He's going to be so important for their team with his experience and the kind of person he is," Crosby said after the awards show. "You couldn't have a better guy."

The Golden Knights' selections were revealed in reverse order of their originating team's regular-season standings, meaning the Colorado Avalanche's player (Calvin Pickard) came off the board first, while the Washington Capitals' pick (Nate Schmidt) was announced last.

With its first expansion draft picks, Vegas selected Pickard, a goalie, forwards William Carrier, Cody Eakin, Jonathan Marchessault, Teemu Pulkkinen and Tomas Nosek, and defensemen Brayden McNabb, Jon Merrill and Luca Sbisa.

James Neal was the biggest individual name revealed in the second round of expansion announcements. The veteran forward posted 41 points for the Stanley Cup Final runner-up Nashville Predators during the regular season.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

TVR was taken by the Knights too, but was quickly sent to the Hurricanes.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Vegas was certainly in the catbird seat ... the amount of draft picks they received in the numerous side deals sets them up for the future, and the guys they selected for the current team look like they will form a competitive group ... there is a greater than average chance their debut season will not suck

Complete Roster Breakdown of the 2017-18 Las Vegas Golden Knights
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin