The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Bacon cheddar biscuits sound f*&king awesome. I'm not sure they'd be awesome with gravy (just too many contrasting flavors and textures)... but then, who am I to doubt you?
it works

you can use different cheese other than cheddar ... the key is to go light on the cheese as you don't want so much of it that it bubbles through the dough and leaves you with flat greasy biscuits ... used in the right dosage, you end up with little wonderful cheesy bits inside a nice fluffy biscuit

you'll have to experiment to get the portions right

gaba wrote:(I'm pretty sure you are personally responsible for about 20lbs. around my midsection.)
you're welcome :thumbsup: :toast:
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I've got an old classmate that's a cop. He worked an accident last night where a cow was hit by a truck. All I could think was... I bet that'd make some tender steaks.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, if anyone is interested in alternative biscuits and gravy, think mini sandwiches and gravy

for example, after you make the biscuits and gravy, slice the biscuits in half and make a sandwich of say, leftover steak ... sliced ... then pour the gravy over the top of your biscuit sandwich

since KFC has been in the news lately, I remembered leftover fried chicken works for this as well ... slice the biscuit in half, place leftover fried chicken bits as your biscuit sandwich filling, then smother in the sausage gravy ... want to know the real cool part of this option? makes your entire plate of biscuits and gravy taste like a country fried steak
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I had to stop reading thisiswhyyourefat.com because it gave me too many bad ideas. Haven't tried it yet, but I was thinking a nice savory bacon and jalepeno gravy over a biscuit stuffed with sliced smoked sausage and egg... maybe cheese. Then of course, covered in honey and rooster sauce.

I've been kind of addicted to rooster sauce lately. Discovered it accidentally. It's hot like tabasco, but with a slightly different flavor. The ingredients are almost exactly the same, so I don't know what it is that makes it taste kind of asian to me, maybe it's just power of suggestion. (The bottle's covered in chinese letters so it must taste asian... ?) It's also thicker... almost like ketchup... and comes in a squeeze bottle. Easier to control than most hot sauce. Awesome stuff. Don't know why I've never had it before.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Just watching 'Man Vs. Food' is Saget and the Grizzlies ballpark for what is dubbed 'Baseballs Best Burger'

It's a half pound bacon cheese burger served on grilled Kispy Kream donuts.

But wait, that's not it......they also have.......

Philly Cheese-steak Nachos, I'm on their website buying tickets right now.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:It's a half pound bacon cheese burger served on grilled Kispy Kream donuts.
I've actually made something similar, because one of the minor league baseball parks in my area started serving them

my burger is only 1/3 pound, cheese, 3 strips of bacon and a fried egg ... my personalized breakfast burger ... similar to what you see in this picture:

oh, and I only use 1 donut, cut in half, glazed side in, instead of 2 donuts

DaDitka wrote:But wait, that's not it......they also have.......

Philly Cheese-steak Nachos, I'm on their website buying tickets right now.
hmmmmmmm ... that does sound tasty
George Carlin
wab
Mod

We have a pub here in town that serves philly cheesesteak nachos and they are f a n t a s t i c.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, what is your favorite breakfast cereal?

I don't eat a lot of cereal, but during the summer, it is generally the most regular breakfast food on work days

I eat a wide variety too ... some of the flakes and fruit versions are really good ... and of course the old standby fav, Cheerios ... but I have found myself really really liking something primarily marketed for folks much younger than me - Cinnamon Toast Crunch

what a satisfying way to begin the drudgery of a standard work day

George Carlin
wab
Mod

Plain 'ol Captain Crunch is my favorite. Cinnamon Life is the runner up.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I am a big fan of Cap'n Crunch as well. I also like Honey Bunches of Oats w/Almonds. I can do Peanut Butter Crunch as well. Like eating cereal dry as a snack.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I'm with you both on Cap'n Crunch, but I haven't eaten it as a cereal in quite some time ... I munch it as a dry snack ... it works well mixing it with mini pretzels and salted peanuts ...
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Cap'n Crunch or Raisin Bran... or whatever weird cereal wifey picked out and decided she didn't like. At 6am, I'm not a picky eater. I just wanna shove some food in my head and go back to sleep.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so who likes bacon?

here is a weird bacon recipe for you, for a tasty but odd mashed potato side dish ... and I think this is a boris original, but I have no problem sharing

peel and put some spuds on to boil ... quantity is up to you as to how much mashed potatoes you want ... when potatoes are done, mash them as you see fit ... I use the standard butter, milk, salt and pepper, along with a couple of tablespoons of cream cheese

I had a couple of apples that had started getting kind of soft, so I peeled them, cut away the brown bits and sliced them ... then I tossed them in a skillet with some butter and cinnamon ... when done, removed from skillet into a bowl and set aside

take 6 slices of bacon and cut into chunks ... toss into skillet and cook ... drain grease from the pan and add apples back in along with a bit of butter ... stir until well mixed

put your mashed spuds on your plate, top with some of the nice apple/bacon stuff, and serve with whatever main dish (broiled chicken was ours)

yummy
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I had a get together on Saturday night and one of the couples that came over actually brough this stuff over.

This....is the ONLY time I don't like bacon.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Crunch is also good as a coating for fried chicken or pork chops. Crunch it up, dip your chicken or chops in whatever you use, milk and/or eggs and roll in crunch and fry as you like. Gives it a sweeter taste.
wab
Mod

My wife has done that with Frosted Flakes before. It was just OK.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It is good with corn flakes as well. I have also tried French onion Sun Chips. It didn't work so well.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Bring on the Corn Pops for this guy.
gaba
Head Coach

Even when they're fresh Corn Pops taste stale and rubbery to me.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

gaba wrote:Even when they're fresh Corn Pops taste stale and rubbery to me.

sounds like you dug into a box of packing peanuts instead of cereal

the absolute WORST cereal I have ever tried is Grape Nuts ... like eating a bowl of gravel
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Nah, I just like my cereal crunchy. Even when it's good corn pops are not crunchy. It's kinda like pouring milk over cheese-puffs. (Although not in taste of course.) I kind of like grape nuts. I think of them more as a topping than a cereal though. They're kind of nice in yogurt or with some fruit mixed in.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

I have recently discovered Fruit Loops with Marshmallows. Those things are pretty damn good...
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

Time for some this weekend I think.
UOK
Site Admin

Good call, I had some basic b/g last week, made sure to throw in a healthy dose of ground red pepper.
gaba
Head Coach

I did just that a couple weeks ago and wifey (who generally doesn't tolerate spicy) has been requesting it that way. I've also been using whole-wheat biscuits. It's a personal taste thing. I don't like white bread.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Xee
Site Admin

A man's breakfast:

[youtube][/youtube]
gaba
Head Coach

That looks f*&king disgusting.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

a new recipe (well new to me) ... found about a month ago, tried last week

Bailey's Irish Cream Brownies

Chocolate batter

* 1 cup butter
* 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
* 2 cups sugar
* 4 large eggs
* 1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream Layer

* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 1 large egg
* 3 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur

Place butter and chocolate into a medium saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13×9 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly coat with a non-stick cooking spray.

Beat sugar and eggs together in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until lightened and fluffy (approximately 4 minutes). Add flour and salt gradually. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.

Combine cream cheese and sugar in another medium bowl. Beat until creamy. Add egg and liqueur and beat. Pour half of the chocolate batter into the pan. Spread all of the the cream layer over the chocolate layer. Pour the remaining chocolate batter over the cream cheese layer and smooth. If desired, swirl the layers together with a knife for a marbled effect. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.

:thumbsup:
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

any of you have BBQ donuts?

pretty simple ... make some spicy BBQ beef or pork as you see fit ... slice a Krispy Kreme glazed donut in half for the bun ... heap on the BBQ ... squish halves together and enjoy ... something about the spicy BBQ and the sweet donut that is simply a perfect pairing

or you can go for the extra, and use 2 separate glazed donuts as the bun rather than slicing one in half

I've also done this with burgers, using a sliced donut as the hamburger bun ... one of the minor league baseball teams in my area started serving burgers up like this a few years back, and though I questioned it at first, once I had one I was hooked ... and their version had the extra helping of calories as they used 2 donuts for the "bun" rather than slicing 1 donut in half

and hey - if you're thinking this is a good breakfast item, then you are probably a fan of Paula Deen ... she calls it "Lady’s Brunch Burger” — a half-pound beef patty topped with bacon and egg fried in butter, served between 2 Krispy Kreme donuts

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paul ... index.html
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Came across this link. A bit dated but cool nonetheless:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2010 ... _and_h.php