Nathan Peterman: 53 mph
DeShone Kizer: 52 mph
Joshua Dobbs: 51 mph
Jerod Evans: 51 mph
Brad Kayaa: 48 mph
Cooper Rush: 46 mph
Sefo Liufau: 46 mph
Deshaun Watson: 45 mph

If Watson had Rush's accuracy, I'd be okay with his velocity in the type of system Loggains runs. But he doesn't.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
G08
Hall of Famer

Just watch the games man. If you think Kaaya has a stronger arm than Watson, you'll need to get those eyes checked.

Mahomes has one of the, if not THE, strongest arms in this draft... Peterman can't hold his jock.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

UOK
Site Admin

Bears didn't bring in Watson for a private workout, nor did they have a visit.
wab
Mod

UOK wrote:Bears didn't bring in Watson for a private workout, nor did they have a visit.
But they did text him!
ysleblanc
MVP

G08 wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
G08 wrote:Watson has the quickest release in this draft, same exact time as Aaron Rodgers.

Ball velocity comes out about 2mph slower than Kizer/Trubisky.
Not from what I've seen:
https://walterfootball.com/combine2017QB.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine come from actual games, not the Combine where players are not told to throw the ball as hard as they can.

At the Combine, you're focused on accuracy.

Release to me is as important if not more than arm strength. A quick release gives DB's and LB's less time to react.
Nanky
Journeyman

ysleblanc wrote:
G08 wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
G08 wrote:Watson has the quickest release in this draft, same exact time as Aaron Rodgers.

Ball velocity comes out about 2mph slower than Kizer/Trubisky.
Not from what I've seen:
https://walterfootball.com/combine2017QB.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mine come from actual games, not the Combine where players are not told to throw the ball as hard as they can.

At the Combine, you're focused on accuracy.

Release to me is as important if not more than arm strength. A quick release gives DB's and LB's less time to react.
So does a quick release make up for the horrible velocity? I don't believe it does.
wab
Mod

Deshaun Watson Issued A Warning To The Chicago Bears

The Chicago Bears Deshaun Watson connection runs deep by this point. Weeks ago it was established that the Clemson star was the likely preferred target of the franchise as their potential future franchise QB. Not surprising. His incredible production, 28-2 record between 2015 and 2016, and national championship victory over Alabama checked every box for what GM Ryan Pace claims to look for in a quarterback.

Rumors continue to persist that the team remains interested, but may not be willing to venture the risk. Not at #3 overall anyway. This would explain why the Bears are so intent on trying to move down via trade. That would provide a better player-for-pick value. Not as much of a perceived “reach.” It makes plenty of sense on paper. That said it also may come with a stern warning. Not from the draft experts either. From Watson himself.

Bears Deshaun Watson relationship rests on a promise

The young quarterback comes across as cool, humble and genuine in his interview. That, however, belies how relentless a competitor he is. One does not win so many close games as he has without a stubborn refusal to be anything less than the best. That would explain his comments when asked about his comparison to fellow top quarterback, Mitch Trubisky of North Carolina. In an interview with Good Morning Football on the NFL Network, he basically warned the Bears and other NFL teams that they would regret passing on him.
“YOU’RE GONNA HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES THAT COME WITH IT. THAT’S HOW I SEE IT,” WATSON RESPONDED. “I TRY TO STAY IN MY LANE. I TRY NOT TO TAKE THE PATH. I RESPECT MITCH AND WHAT HE’S DONE AND ALL THE HYPE HE’S GETTING, BUT AT THE SAME TIME, MY RESULT SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. I FEEL LIKE I’VE ACCOMPLISHED EVERYTHING THAT I COULD. I GUESS IF THAT’S WHO THEY’RE GONNA ROLL WITH, SO BE IT.”
Shades of Manning

This comes across as a clear look into the man’s mind. An unbreakable self-confidence and quiet assurance that he’s going to succeed no matter where he ends up. It reflects a similar mentality to none other than the great Peyton Manning. His statement to the Indianapolis Colts prior to the 1998 draft still resonate with people and remains a treasured story to this day.
‘I’LL LEAVE YOU WITH THIS THOUGHT: IF YOU TAKE ME, I PROMISE YOU WE WILL WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. IF YOU DON’T, I PROMISE I’LL COME BACK AND KICK YOUR ASS.’
Of course being in front of cameras, Watson wasn’t going to say it like that. Nonetheless that’s almost the exact same meaning behind his words. Find any excuse you need to not do it, but don’t cry and moan in five years when I’m leading my team to a Super Bowl. This is the sort of bravado teams want in their quarterbacks, which is why Watson is loved by scouts everywhere. Even in spite of his physical shortcomings. Every NFL team wants a leader under center. Somebody who refuses to accept anything less than the best from teammates and himself. Watson proved he was that guy in college. Are the Bears willing to let him prove it again in the NFL?
G08
Hall of Famer

I kind of could see Watson fall close to round 2...

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am certainly convinced Watson is the real deal, and will become a valuable QB for whoever is smart enough to grab him
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Houston is a perfect spot for Watson. They have the defense to cover for any mistakes he makes, he has offensive team mates to work with, and he is with a QB friendly coach who won't accept any bullshit.

I think Watson will be the Texans starter, and I think the Texans go to the playoffs.
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

[video][/video]
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

UOK wrote:[video][/video]
He's just not accurate over 15 yards imo. He was missing guys by yards not feet on the deep throws. Also he's mostly in shotgun which won't fly long term either if the Texans want to establish a run game.
staleystarch
Assistant Coach

It's only one game against 2s and 3s and his completion percentage was 60% which would be great in the 1980s. I think we already knew he could run. Once he has to go against a first string D with a game plan he better get more accurate.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
G08
Hall of Famer

I watched all his snaps... he looked fucking good. Sailed a couple throws, locked onto one side of the field once, but other than that.... man.

For those that questioned his arm strength, he ripped one 66 fucking yards in the air from release point to landing.

staleystarch
Assistant Coach

G08 wrote:I watched all his snaps... he looked fucking good. Sailed a couple throws, locked onto one side of the field once, but other than that.... man.

For those that questioned his arm strength, he ripped one 66 fucking yards in the air from release point to landing.
The most impressive rookie on the field was not even a Texan but everything is Watson Watson Watson. I get he's a QB and has been a media favorite since before the draft. He played well but not well enough for the fawning he is getting. At least that's my opinion.
"We don’t know exactly what we’re doing” -- John Fox
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

staleystarch wrote:
G08 wrote:I watched all his snaps... he looked fucking good. Sailed a couple throws, locked onto one side of the field once, but other than that.... man.

The most impressive rookie on the field was not even a Texan but everything is Watson Watson Watson. I get he's a QB and has been a media favorite since before the draft. He played well but not well enough for the fawning he is getting. At least that's my opinion.
yeah, i think he played middle of the road enough that you can kind of see his performance through the prism of your already established opinion.
Adipost
MVP

His arm definitely looked alive.
FaithInCutler
MVP

Honestly, I think this kid has bust written all over him. He has made horrible decisions in college and I don't see that changing at the pro level. I LOVED this kid in college and initially wanted us to draft him. Mid-way though last year I started changing my tune. Until he proves that he can transition to the pro game and make good decisions with the football he will only take them as far as Housons next Drafted QB. He has enough pure talent to stick around for a while, but he will never be a top 20 QB IMO. Hope I'm wrong because I have nothing against the guy.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

He threw a boatload of interceptions in college, what QB that did that has had much success in the pros?
Adipost
MVP

FaithInCutler wrote:Honestly, I think this kid has bust written all over him. He has made horrible decisions in college and I don't see that changing at the pro level. I LOVED this kid in college and initially wanted us to draft him. Mid-way though last year I started changing my tune. Until he proves that he can transition to the pro game and make good decisions with the football he will only take them as far as Housons next Drafted QB. He has enough pure talent to stick around for a while, but he will never be a top 20 QB IMO. Hope I'm wrong because I have nothing against the guy.
Bill O'Brien is not gonna do him any favors.
FaithInCutler
MVP

My thought is that if you want to gamble on a guy who makes poor decisions, I like Mahomes up-side much more.
"dooooonnn'tt ccaaaaaaarrrreeeeeee" - Jay Cutler
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

i'm not a big bill o'brien fan, but it's neat how he was like "tom savage has earned the right to start for us" and then like half a game later he was like "nope."
hey, and now the texans are world beaters!

i wish there was some direct parallel between their situation and ours, but i got nothing.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]

brett kollmann did a great video about deshaun's last few weeks.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:[video][/video]

brett kollmann did a great video about deshaun's last few weeks.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Funny looking back at all this shit. I was down on him due to college ints. I have enjoyed watching this dude kick ass so far. Kid is the goods.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:Funny looking back at all this shit. I was down on him due to college ints. I have enjoyed watching this dude kick ass so far. Kid is the goods.

I saw him play a lot in college and knew he was legit ... him leading the win over the Alabama Saban's sealed it for me

I am happy he is doing well, unhappy it isn't for the Bears
George Carlin
malk
Head Coach

Boris13c wrote:
Otis Day wrote:Funny looking back at all this shit. I was down on him due to college ints. I have enjoyed watching this dude kick ass so far. Kid is the goods.

I saw him play a lot in college and knew he was legit ... him leading the win over the Alabama Saban's sealed it for me

I am happy he is doing well, unhappy it isn't for the Bears
Interesting to see how his career goes compared to Trubisky. Given what we gave up for him with one of him or Watson guaranteed at #3 Pace did stick his neck out quite a bit.

Of course comparing QBs across teams/systems/situations is a fool's errand but since we'll end up doing it anyway.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

I said during the draft that I think Watson will be better sooner, but probably won't have as long/consistent of a career as Trubs.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

[video][/video]
George Carlin