should Pluto get its planet status back?

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I think so

there's also a group of astronomers on Pluto's side, though this article is 2 years old:

http://www.topnews.in/pluto-should-get- ... ers-258154

according to this NASA article, the probe they launched in 2006 is expected to make it to Pluto in 2015 :

http://www.nasa.gov/worldbook/pluto_worldbook.html

maybe after they see some of the footage from that flyby, Pluto will be put back in its rightful place as a planet
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I guess? I file this under the 'who cares' section of my mind lol. Planet is literally a sphere of gas that has 0 relevancy to anything within the realm of man's existence, it's categorization, whether of planet, or whatever is entirely redundant to the fact that pluto is the same as it was when it was a planet. it's not like it's feelings got hurt or something, nor will it feel redeemed should we important humans grant it back to being a planet.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: it's not like it's feelings got hurt or something, nor will it feel redeemed should we important humans grant it back to being a planet.

Those were my exact thoughts when I first read this.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:
UOK wrote: it's not like it's feelings got hurt or something, nor will it feel redeemed should we important humans grant it back to being a planet.

oh yeah?

you guys will change your tune when the Plutonion dirtranauts arrive to send vibrating kanibbles into your nostrils while flaming the nelz rod to your nether regions!

:-P
George Carlin
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
DaDitka wrote:
oh yeah?

you guys will change your tune when the Plutonion dirtranauts arrive to send vibrating kanibbles into your nostrils while flaming the nelz rod to your nether regions!

:-P

Will there be refreshment?
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

DaDitka wrote:Will there be refreshment?

warm gravy

with a hair in it
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

I feel the same way about the Brontosaurus. Some of you younger guys might be saying, "what the f*&k is a brontosaurus?" and that is the problem. My kids are being taught things completely different from what I learned. That's not a big problem if the old information has been disproven, but in these cases (the Bronto and Pluto) it's just some arbitrary decision to reclassify something for... hell I have no idea what reason. Like UOK said "who the f*&k cares?" Well, I think that's my problem. Why the f*&k would anyone go to so much trouble to reclassify Pluto (or the Brontosaurus)? What does it change? What is the point?

They do this sh*t in every subject too. The math my first grader brings home is so ridiculously over complicated that I have to look it up... research and learn the sh*t for myself before I can help her. It's not hard. It's just some stupid, pointless exercise in busy work that is CLEARLY intended for ME and not my six year old. (Word problems for someone that's just learning to read? Really?) If you f*&kers are gonna send homework home and it's more than my child can do without help, then why the f*&k can't you teach the same sh*t you taught 20 years ago? The math I learned in elementary still works just fine. Really... I use it every day.

... and if Texas has their way, they'll be doing it with our history books next. F*&k, I used to think my parents were stupid. Turns out they just f*&king CHANGE everything every generation or so.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

Well the Brontosaurus is the Apatosaurus, technically. It's been that way for like 20 years or something. Brontosaurus simply sounds cooler.
gaba
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Well the Brontosaurus is the Apatosaurus, technically. It's been that way for like 20 years or something. Brontosaurus simply sounds cooler.
Uh, yeah... I know. The point... why did it have to be changed? I understand that we made discoveries that changed our views of the Brontosaurus, but I don't understand why that necessitated a name change. There are cases where reclassification is absolutely necessary, I just don't understand it in this case.

Mostly, I'm pissed because it f*&ks up all the old Flintstones re-runs. Who the f*&k would want to eat an Apato-burger?
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
gaba
Head Coach

... and yes, I realize that between this and the fact that I can't stand to watch MTV for more than a few seconds, I am clearly and officially... old. I'm gonna go buy some comfortable loafers and a couple sweater vests so I don't catch a chill. Then I'll turn on the oldies station, which is now apparently Van Halen and Motley Crue.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
UOK
Site Admin

Dude nobody watches MTV anymore. F**k that channel.

Everyone watches VH1, and eventually nobody will watch it anymore either.

Any rock music that came out between 1979-2002 is now considered Classic Alternative and it's this god awful broth of random pop-rock and easy listening horse shit. The best thing for finding good music on TV is to just turn it off and use internet radio stations.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

vh1 classic baby is the way to go.
Halas85
Assistant Coach

Name changes for the sake of name changes are stupid, but consider the totally related phenomenon where the word doesn't change, but its pronunciation does. Harassment, for instance, is now pronounced "HAIR-iss-ment" by a lot of people. Divisive is another one; we're hearing it as "di-VIH-sive" now. There are others out there (Google that shit -- people are passionate beings when it comes to simple preference), but at some point it seems we're not dealing with improvement or intellectual evolution ... it's change for the sake of change. Like Gaba's brontosaurus example, I think that's a major waste of time.
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the debate is still going on in regards to Pluto's planetary status ... as of now, it remains a "dwarf planet"

this National Geographic article has some good information :

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/space/solar-system/dwarf-planets-pluto-ceres/
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

So then would Jupiter be a giant planet?