Roster Moves

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A stud center? Really?

Whitehair, who'd never played the position in college and was only moved across one week before the first regular season game last year, graded out as the sixth best center in the league last year according to PFF. Aside from a few dodgy snaps early on he certainly looked the part. He hasn't played as well this year, in particular those shotgun snaps have remained an issue, but he hasn't been helped as a young developing player still getting used to the position by being shunted around during training camp and the first few games in an attempt to accommodate Long's unavailability. Remember, if Kush hadn't been lost for the year before the season even started this wouldn't have happened.

The idea we need to replace Whitehair at center is odd to say the least. Pace drafted Grasu only a couple of years ago and then Whitehair turned out to be effective when Grasu got hurt and Pace managed to acquire a Pro Bowl guard in Sitton. You can't build a team if you keep regularly redrafting positions and center simply isn't a significant concern at this point.

As for the offensive line being old, I'm with Mikefive; O-lineman can still play at a high level well into their thirties. There is also no guarantee that first-year linemen would remain any more healthy than the veterans. Aside from Long, the starting five for the last season and a half have missed very few games. Leno and Whitehair haven't missed any, Massie has only missed one and Sitton four.

Continuity is a massive consideration and I for one don't want a lot change across the positions from one year to the next. As has been pointed out, all five starters are under contract for next season plus Kush should be back from his injury and is also under contract for another year and Morgan was taken in the last draft. The interior group looks fine for now and will be even better if Long's ankle and labarum injuries can be fully healed up before next season.

A quality OT prospect wouldn't go amiss though to compete for either tackle position. It's worth noting that Leno's contract is structured in such a way that he can be let go after next year with no real penalty (in 2019 $4.3 million is guaranteed for injury only and the full $7.9 million only becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of league year) and Massie only has one year left on his deal.

However, this roster still has much more pressing needs at WR, OLB and CB although the latter could be mitigated if Pace is able to re-sign Fuller, Amukamara and Callahan who have all been playing very well.

It seems to me that Pace has done a very good job at rebuilding the roster and if it wasn't for the WR position, hurt enormously by White not panning out, there are not now any glaring holes. Address WR and Pace should be able to draft the best player available at any position in order to elevate the roster still further.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Maybe I should have added more of an explanation.

Whitehair is a guard. Who did great at center last season and I'm not exactly saying to replace him.

My reasoning is this, if you draft a C you help two positions and protect the team if injuries come up. I have as much faith with whitehair at G as I do at C... That said, you have the options. Sitton has been healthy this season but you never know. Long has been getting dinged up the last few seasons and I'm not sold on him being able to stay healthy.

It's not a knock on whitehair, it's actually more the faith in him as a player. If you want to go RT, sure. I'm just saying I'm all for getting a high rated lineman either way. Though I wouldn't go guard because a C gives you options.

Like I said, too many things can happen between then and now. We don't have a clue who will be there, much less where the Bears will be drafting.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
Moriarty wrote:
UOK wrote:TE Ben Braunecker promoted to active roster.
:sick:
Keeping 4 made some sense, given Brown would likely be stolen off PS.
But Braunecker is clearly safe there. And no one needs 4 healthy TEs.

How is this more of a priority than, say, a OLman who doesn't look like he's wearing a Mummy Halloween costume?

I'm cynical enough to think the Bears simply forgot that just because a TE is who went to IR doesn't mean a TE has to be brought in to replace him :frustrated:

Patrick Finley‏ @patrickfinley

With Dion Sims out with an illness, the #Bears' TE depth could be tested Sunday vs #Packers. Adam Shaheen and Daniel Brown are ready
Richie
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

How is this more of a priority than, say, a OLman who doesn't look like he's wearing a Mummy Halloween costume?

I'm cynical enough to think the Bears simply forgot that just because a TE is who went to IR doesn't mean a TE has to be brought in to replace him :frustrated:

With Dion Sims out with an illness, the #Bears' TE depth could be tested Sunday vs #Packers. Adam Shaheen and Daniel Brown are ready
He's officially ruled out... already? With an illness? Jeez man. Does he have Mono or something?

I guess I like Brown though, so it's not the end of the world. This is where the TE depth pays off, I do suppose.

I am FAR more worried about Trevathan not practicing with a calf injury. Coming off of a bye week, and a game that I don't remember him leaving (maybe I am mistaken). That's really catching me off guard, and scaring the hell out of me. Him being out was directly correlated with our Minnesota loss, and McKinnon running well once Timu went out. The only way I see us not dominating GB defensively, is some stupid shit like this.
G08
Hall of Famer

Final report should come out today... but I selfishly hope Sims is out.

I want Shaheen to be TE1 and Brown to be TE2... let's see what these kids can do.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

46Blitz wrote:WR and OL is 1a and 1b imo.... whoever they like better.
1a is obvious. But 1b absolutely MUST be CB. How much do you like that position with starters Amukamara and Fuller going to FA?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Richie wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

He's officially ruled out... already? With an illness? Jeez man. Does he have Mono or something?

I guess I like Brown though, so it's not the end of the world. This is where the TE depth pays off, I do suppose.

I am FAR more worried about Trevathan not practicing with a calf injury. Coming off of a bye week, and a game that I don't remember him leaving (maybe I am mistaken). That's really catching me off guard, and scaring the hell out of me. Him being out was directly correlated with our Minnesota loss, and McKinnon running well once Timu went out. The only way I see us not dominating GB defensively, is some stupid shit like this.
We do have Kwiatkoski, who's been a healthy scratch for the last couple weeks since Jones has been playing well.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:Final report should come out today... but I selfishly hope Sims is out.

I want Shaheen to be TE1 and Brown to be TE2... let's see what these kids can do.
Be careful what you wish for. The Bears knew that Miller was getting older and could ride off into the sunset at season end as his contract was up. So if Shaheen was capable, he'd be taking reps away from Miller already if he was capable. My money says he's not and Daniel Brown will get most of the passing game stuff.

G08
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote:
G08 wrote:Final report should come out today... but I selfishly hope Sims is out.

Be careful what you wish for. The Bears knew that Miller was getting older and could ride off into the sunset at season end as his contract was up. So if Shaheen was capable, he'd be taking reps away from Miller already if he was capable. My money says he's not and Daniel Brown will get most of the passing game stuff.
I get your logic, but Miller is (was) the best receiving option on our roster, TE/WR/RB, so you needed him to get reps with a young QB.

The older I get, the more I realize that I love watching young players develop compared to the final product. I'm sure that's a big part of why I want this youth movement on offense started.

I'm also choosing to adopt Tre McBride as my favorite Bear Project this season.

Richie
MVP

Mikefive wrote:
Richie wrote:
RustyTrubisky wrote:
Boris13c wrote:
Moriarty wrote:

We do have Kwiatkoski, who's been a healthy scratch for the last couple weeks since Jones has been playing well.
I mean, Kwiatkoski is solid, but he's not Trevathan. Trevathan is also our signal caller on defense. He's pretty damn important. IMO. Been playing damn well since that stupid suspension.
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

Mikefive wrote:
46Blitz wrote:WR and OL is 1a and 1b imo.... whoever they like better.
1a is obvious. But 1b absolutely MUST be CB. How much do you like that position with starters Amukamara and Fuller going to FA?
Like I also said, many things can happen between then and now. If the Bears retain all CBs, then I like it. You just don't know who will be available or signed. Or resigned for that matter. I am just stating on what we currently have now. Meredith should be back next year and if Inman does well then WR is a little less of a worry. Though we absolutely need to draft one regardless somewhere.

I have always stood by my thoughts of the Line being the most important position on the field. It will never change. Therefore whoever is rated higher gets picked in my world. WR or OL it doesn't matter to me.
UOK
Site Admin

@CEmma670
1m
The Bears have signed LB Jonathan Anderson to the active roster and waived WR Tanner Gentry, an indication Danny Trevathan (calf) will not play Sunday
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The Great White Hope, gone again. Probably will return to practice squad.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote:@CEmma670
1m
The Bears have signed LB Jonathan Anderson to the active roster and waived WR Tanner Gentry, an indication Danny Trevathan (calf) will not play Sunday

I don't want Gentry back, even on the practice squad

he had his opportunity and he failed completely ... he might make a nice addition to a Park District flag football team, but doesn't belong in the NFL

now that I've said that, watch the Patriots pick him up and turn him into someone useful
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:
UOK wrote:@CEmma670
1m

I don't want Gentry back, even on the practice squad

he had his opportunity and he failed completely ... he might make a nice addition to a Park District flag football team, but doesn't belong in the NFL

now that I've said that, watch the Patriots pick him up and turn him into someone useful
i dont think that's 100% fair, he could easily turn into quality depth for us down the line. obviously he's in wayyy over his head right now.
bearsfaninaz
Head Coach

I think Gentry can develop into a solid 3rd 4th option but he's definitely in over his head as 1st or 2nd at the moment. If he focuses on routes in off-season idk why he can't get better.
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Bears signed a 6'3 285 UDFA from Boise State, Travis Averill to the practice squad along with WR Tanner Gentry. Averill who is listed as playing as a Center has spent time on the Falcons and Browns practice squads.

I wonder if he will be a legitimate replacement for struggling Grasu.
Bio: 
Three-year starter at left guard who earned First Team All-Mountain West honors in 2016. Started 38 games over the final three seasons of his career after making three starts at right tackle as a true freshman.
Pos: 
Explosive offensive lineman who must improve his fundamentals. Quickly sets up off the snap, keeps his head on a swivel and works well with linemates. Displays a good degree of quickness in his game, moves well on his feet and shows fluidity pulling across the scrimmage. Effective blocking in motion. Plays much more athletic than his 40 time and displays strength at the point. Quickly gets his hands into opponents and anchors in pass protection.
Neg: 
Does not sink his butt at the line of scrimmage. Must improve his pad level. Lacks great bulk.
Analysis: 
Averill is a serviceable lineman who possesses limited upside but could back up at the guard position.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

ramentaschen wrote:Bears signed a 6'3 285 UDFA from Boise State, Travis Averill to the practice squad along with WR Tanner Gentry. Averill who is listed as playing as a Center has spent time on the Falcons and Browns practice squads.

I wonder if he will be a legitimate replacement for struggling Grasu.
Bio: 
Three-year starter at left guard who earned First Team All-Mountain West honors in 2016. Started 38 games over the final three seasons of his career after making three starts at right tackle as a true freshman.
Pos: 
Explosive offensive lineman who must improve his fundamentals. Quickly sets up off the snap, keeps his head on a swivel and works well with linemates. Displays a good degree of quickness in his game, moves well on his feet and shows fluidity pulling across the scrimmage. Effective blocking in motion. Plays much more athletic than his 40 time and displays strength at the point. Quickly gets his hands into opponents and anchors in pass protection.
Neg: 
Does not sink his butt at the line of scrimmage. Must improve his pad level. Lacks great bulk.
Analysis: 
Averill is a serviceable lineman who possesses limited upside but could back up at the guard position.
So Grasu part II.

The biggest problem with Grasu, and this kid is that they lack the size to play. I don't care how technically sound you are. The the NT on the other side of you, outweighs you by 50 lbs, that's a problem. I said that about Grasu when we drafted him. He looks like a leader and a good college C, but he's too small for the NFL. His frame was about maxed out. This guy doesn't look any different. You saw Grasu against the Packers. He looked like he was going backwards on rollerskates.
G08
Hall of Famer

Grasu was awful at the POA against the Packers. Whitehair had some terrible moments as well.

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yeah most of the time from what I saw, he kept square to the defender really well. The technique doesn't look bad to my untrained eyes. As pointed out, he just can't anchor.
G08
Hall of Famer

RustyTrubisky wrote:Yeah most of the time from what I saw, he kept square to the defender really well. The technique doesn't look bad to my untrained eyes. As pointed out, he just can't anchor.
I would think squats and some core work, etc would help him with that functional strength... but I guess not?

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:So Grasu part II.

The biggest problem with Grasu, and this kid is that they lack the size to play. I don't care how technically sound you are. The the NT on the other side of you, outweighs you by 50 lbs, that's a problem. I said that about Grasu when we drafted him. He looks like a leader and a good college C, but he's too small for the NFL. His frame was about maxed out. This guy doesn't look any different. You saw Grasu against the Packers. He looked like he was going backwards on rollerskates.
I admit I was pretty psyched when the Bears drafted Grasu. I could see he needed to get stronger, but the skills were all there.

He hasn't been able to build up his strength, though. Whether that's due to his spate of injuries or just that he can't build it up any further, I don't know.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

Whole lot of suck rolling into Philadelphia this week

No Hicks, Trevathan, and Floyd who are probably are our three best starters on defense

but wait, there's hope...

we have a new kicker
LB Howard Jones elevated from the practice squad to 53-man roster
Bears also announce WR Demarcus Ayers signed to practice squad
malk
Head Coach

So end of season cuts for:

Glennon
McPhee
Wheaton
Cooper
Demps
Freeman
Kush
Young.

Which leaves Hicks, Sitton, Trevathan, Sims, Massie of note from Pace's free agent signings.

Woof.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
wab
Mod

Eh. I think the only one of those guys that is a sure cut is Glennon.
malk
Head Coach

In which case, cap space in 2018:

McPhee $8m
Wheaton $5.75m
Cooper $5.5m
Demps $4.33m
Freeman $4m
Kush $1.4m
Young $5.4m.

Woof.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Why would Kush get cut? Quality interior depth at that price is a bargain
malk
Head Coach

RustyTrubisky wrote:Why would Kush get cut? Quality interior depth at that price is a bargain
Fair point but I feel the general point still stands.

46Blitz
Assistant Coach

malk wrote:So end of season cuts for:

Glennon
McPhee
Wheaton
Cooper
Demps
Freeman
Kush
Young.

Which leaves Hicks, Sitton, Trevathan, Sims, Massie of note from Pace's free agent signings.

Woof.
To be fair, most of those guys were meant to just be plugs anyway. McPhee was suppose to be an anchor but he just was always injured. I could see Kush sticking around depending on what happens. The rest would be fine to move away from. Easily.
BR0D1E86
MVP

malk wrote:So end of season cuts for:

Glennon
McPhee
Wheaton
Cooper
Demps
Freeman
Kush
Young.

Woof.
Eh, most of Pace’s free agent signings were meant to be 1-2 year hole plugs. This isn’t especially surprising.