2017-2018 Chicago Blackhawks reg. season casual chatter

6x Stanley Cup Champions

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Up 8-1 on the defending cup champions. Sharp/Saad/Schmaltz/Kane/Crow/Keith look invincible. But it's 1 game.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

1st game, but I will take it. That is the way to the start the season and get the fans jacked up. Total effin dominance. CAme out against the defending champs and bitch slapped them. What a performance by Saad in his return. Young guys stepped up tonight. Real nice.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

that was an extremely satisfying game to watch ... not only because of the afore mentioned bitch slap of the defending champs, but because of how smooth their passing and play setups were ... some of those perfect passes were simply unbelievable

only wish that had been Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals :D
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Kane's spin-o-rama pass is some And1 bullshit.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Guys. That was fantastic. Saad and Sharpie fit right back in. The band is back together, and the Kan line looks filthy. Going to the game tomorrow.
Bobilo
Rookie

I also think that was great
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Crawford was a man possessed last night. He was getting peppered all night and he stood tall. I believe the Habs had approximately 40 shots on goal and he allowed only 1.

Debrincat got his first goal. he is going to be a good one.

Hawks getting it done so far.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Crawford was a man possessed last night. He was getting peppered all night and he stood tall. I believe the Habs had approximately 40 shots on goal and he allowed only 1.

Debrincat got his first goal. he is going to be a good one.

Hawks getting it done so far.
Blackhawks allowing 35-40+ SOGs is going to become a problem if they don't get a bit sharper on defense. Their passing game so far looks infinitely better than in years past, which I credit to Sharp's savvy, Saad + Toews dynamic, and generally better/younger playmakers filling in the cracks of the roster. The team is going to desperately miss Hjalmarrson, though. I feel like as great as Seabrook/Keith are, Hammer was a total obstructionist with an incredible defensive hockey acumen that you simply don't replace.

Credit also to Forsberg for his very good start the other night. Earned the Blackhawks a point in a game they had no business winning.
UOK
Site Admin

Up and down so far but Hayden at least knocked the shit out of some dude.

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

He's no Bob Probert, but that didn't look like it tickled
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

That game was dreadful as hell. Fucking Crawford, feel sorry for the bastard. I can't see him facing less than 30 shots per game with the D in front of him. Seabs and Keith are really showing their age and wear and tear. 5 tripping penalties shows they are a step or 2 slow.

The PP still sucks as they try to be a finesse team out there with all that damn passing, shoot the fucking puck!!! :frustrated:

Plenty of season and I think things will work out, but damn, Crow could be blind by then. he is playing pretty damn well (albeit he has still had his WTF moments).
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, I have missed quite a few games of late. Still in football mode. Glad to hear last night that there was "net front presence." It seems every team in the NHL camps a body in front of the goalie, makes it hard for him to see the puck coming, etc. Hawks have never seemed to take to that idea. Preview/highlights made it look like they were going strong to the net and had people out front. Presto, change, they score 6 goals. Lets hope this is a sign of things to come.

Animsimov's mustache?
UOK
Site Admin

I've barely had time/energy to watch lately. Been wrapped up in other stuff, but keeping my ear to the ground. This team needs these wins just to keep Q from having a heart attack. Guy was getting kind of desperate with line shuffling for awhile there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, they are on a little bit of a roll. Got some of the game last night. Liked their aggressiveness on the O side. Debrincat is coming along nicely. I am liking what I see out of Forsling as well, to name a few. Still think they will suffer against physical teams.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Fucking Pekka Rinne!!!!! Crashville just has the Hawks #. They fought til the end, but damn it!!!!!!
UOK
Site Admin

Hawks had been hot, too. It's disappointing, but Nashville always plays the Blackhawks tough, just like Colorado.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, that was another disappointment. Seabs and Keith, how the mighty have fallen. These young D guys have to pick it up big time.

Debrincat is playing lights out. Most goals scored in a month by any Blackhawk in history, 11.
UOK
Site Admin

Otis Day wrote:Well, that was another disappointment. Seabs and Keith, how the mighty have fallen. These young D guys have to pick it up big time.

Debrincat is playing lights out. Most goals scored in a month by any Blackhawk in history, 11.
The straight dope is that the Blackhawks need to get Seabrook off the team & probably Keith too. Sadly you cut a deal before the deadline to dump both guys (and most importantly their deals), and spread that money along the whole defense. As they are now, the offense is solid, the PP/PK is slowly improving, but they need more aggressors/antagonists on both sides of the blue line.

That can't be done by swapping out junkers on the bottom of the roster.
UOK
Site Admin

Got the feeling that Toews won't finish his career as Blackhawk. This is getting bad.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

It would not bother me if he got traded. I think I would trade him before Kane. Toews is providing nothing at this time. I think they can unload Seabs and Keith if possible as well. Not sure there would be any buyers for those 2. Toews contract may stop most as well. Maybe the Jets would love to have him.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

how has Keith gotten so expendable all of a sudden? he was my favorite defenseman and almost always seemed to be everywhere he needed to be at just the right time

is he hurt?
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:how has Keith gotten so expendable all of a sudden? he was my favorite defenseman and almost always seemed to be everywhere he needed to be at just the right time

is he hurt?
He was always destined to burn out earlier than most. The guy's been an iron-man and played obscene minutes for years, but clearly he's been losing his wind for the last 2-3 seasons. Seabrook is spent. Toews' concussions and injuries are all piling up, too.

That said, if you trade Toews, you may as well trade Kane, Seabs, Keith, and basically any of the 3-cup veterans. And possibly there's an argument you may have to move on from Quenneville, but I think you could still glean some success out of Q if you reshape the roster in his vision. To do that you need capital, and the Blackhawks have had none for many years.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote:how has Keith gotten so expendable all of a sudden? he was my favorite defenseman and almost always seemed to be everywhere he needed to be at just the right time

is he hurt?

I am not bagging on any of the Hawks, I just don't want them to keep them past their usefulness. I don't think any organization should keep someone just because they are a "favorite" or because of past performance when current performance is subpar.

I try not to fall in love with any player from teams I root for. I am more interested in long term success. I think the window has closed on this current Hawk roster due to age and inexperience. If you can find some buyers, start selling if the payment is rich.

I think in Saad, Schwartz, Forsling, Debrincat, to name a few, you have the start of a new nucleus. It may not be Kane, Toews and the gang, but it is a good start.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:

is he hurt?

I am not bagging on any of the Hawks, I just don't want them to keep them past their usefulness. I don't think any organization should keep someone just because they are a "favorite" or because of past performance when current performance is subpar.

I try not to fall in love with any player from teams I root for. I am more interested in long term success. I think the window has closed on this current Hawk roster due to age and inexperience. If you can find some buyers, start selling if the payment is rich.

I think in Saad, Schwartz, Forsling, Debrincat, to name a few, you have the start of a new nucleus. It may not be Kane, Toews and the gang, but it is a good start.
yeah ok ... I get what you're saying

I just have a soft spot for Keith ... he plays like a throwback, always on the ice and always productive on both ends ... so guess I'm kind of sorry to see him fading away
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

The era is ending and it seems to have come fast, but it has been a good ride for about 8 years. 3 Cups, can't ask for much more. I just don't want this team to get ancient and then fall into the basement for years. I would rather they stay competitive as long as possible. You know, don't be like the BEars!!!!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the good news - before leaving work I got a call from a friend telling me to meet him downtown because he had extra tickets to the Blackhawks/Capitals game

the bad news : I actually went and saw the Blackhawks/Capitals game

what a shit show ... it looked like things would change in the second period, but that ended up being a lot of activity with little result

and the crowd wasn't too happy with the hit Caps hero Ovechkin took towards the end ... wasn't in position to see it that well, but those in the crowd who were let it be known ... all I saw was Ovechkin moving slowly to the bench

so I got to hang out with some friends I hadn't seen in a while so the social part of the event was fun ... the game, not so much
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Blackhawks have been hot lately. Very fun to watch. I entirely credit Hinostroza, but in reality it's Schmaltz and Kane finding a chemistry.

edit: Not to mention Crawford playing great and the ascension of Jordan Oesterle.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have missed all the games during this streak. I have either forgotten they were on or just had other things going on. Maybe I stay away. Glad to see Hinostroza back though.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Damn, miss a little, miss a lot. Panik in a drought, breaks the drought and gets traded. Good move in my book. Guy was just so hot and cold it was ridiculous.

Toews has come on, finally. That should be some trade bait in my book. kaner has been scoring. Keith = done. Seabrook = done and both have no trade contracts. Blind loyalty never works out. Reminds me of the Bird, McHale, Parrish Celtic. They all got old at the same time.
UOK
Site Admin

Panik needed to go. Seabrook is next.

I wish I knew what was wrong with Crawford, but they're being as mysterious as ever.

I am not for a Toews trade. More practical road is to get another year in, and if the numbers are garbage and his play is slipping further, you restructure his deal and make him something of a player-coach on the 2nd/3rd lines.