For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:From earlier today:

Flip/Groh/Fangio is pretty damn ok.
IotaNet
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I’d rather be a year early than a year late.
That’s what I’m talking about.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
docc
Head Coach

Year early..fine..
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Moon Mullin posted an article today that posited that the reason Phillips/George are in this first round of interviews is because the Bears don’t have time to do preliminary interviews and then bring candidates back for a second round to meet the bosses. They want to be as efficient as possible and make a decision as quickly as the search will allow them to.
So does this mean that after they interview Nagy that they're going to pull the trigger on their favorite?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
botfly10
Player of the Month

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Moon Mullin posted an article today that posited that the reason Phillips/George are in this first round of interviews is because the Bears don’t have time to do preliminary interviews and then bring candidates back for a second round to meet the bosses. They want to be as efficient as possible and make a decision as quickly as the search will allow them to.
how you gon post this without a link? Do you even MB bro?
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

botfly10 wrote:
how you gon post this without a link? Do you even MB bro?

1. I’m on mobile.

2. I’m lazy.

3. It was less about the article and more about the idea the Bears could make an offer to someone after the Nagy interview.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:

Fangio is the key there. That's why Flip is probably the choice here.
botfly10
Player of the Month

dude, links or it didnt happen
BR0D1E86
MVP

Following up on that Gabriel post, if we get Flip and pair him with Fangio, Pettine or Pagano if he wants back in, I think we’ll be fine.

The Rams’ brass said similar things about Mcvay last year, but they decided they’d rather be a year too early than a year too late. If Flip is the guy, he’s the guy. And I’ll learn how to spell his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Here is the link, I believe.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/ ... snt-matter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Shu
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

botfly10 wrote:dude, links or it didnt happen
Eh... I understand on many boards with 1000 posters and 4000 trolls, that's a big commandment. Here if you have credibility summarization isn't as big of a deal in my opinion.
BR0D1E86
MVP

mshu7 wrote:Here is the link, I believe.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/ ... snt-matter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a real good sign, I think...
Word from a couple of non-Chicago sources say that Ryan Pace has been making very, very positive impressions in those interviews, based on what interviewees are telling others. This is significant.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

BR0D1E86 wrote:

This is a real good sign, I think...
Word from a couple of non-Chicago sources say that Ryan Pace has been making very, very positive impressions in those interviews, based on what interviewees are telling others. This is significant.

Jives with what Leming said last night.

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
MoFugger
Head Coach

So, does it kind of seem like McFucknut is out of the picture?

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
docc
Head Coach

Butt...??

Who will explain all this to Mom...?
This Monty Python character ?

Well Virginia..get this thing muzzled and MAYBE//MAYBE..you can go to rest with a team gaining some respectability or MORE..

Do it right this time..Ginny you ain't gonna see much more..
46Blitz
Assistant Coach

mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:

Hence to why my thoughts a few days ago was to promote Fangio to HC and offer Flip the OC job. If they are smart and honest with each other this could work for all involved.

Flip is still young and unproven. It's an opportunity that he could really do himself good on. Sure he could possibly sign as a HC somewhere. Even if he gets an offer, is it best for him?

Give both 4yr contracts and tie them to Pace and Trubisky.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

46Blitz wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:

Hence to why my thoughts a few days ago was to promote Fangio to HC and offer Flip the OC job. If they are smart and honest with each other this could work for all involved.

Flip is still young and unproven. It's an opportunity that he could really do himself good on. Sure he could possibly sign as a HC somewhere. Even if he gets an offer, is it best for him?

The problem is that if DeFillipo took an OC job here and was successful, he’d be gone next year. And Trubisky on his 3rd OC in 3 years. Not a good formula for developing a QB.
BR0D1E86
MVP

46Blitz wrote:
mmmc_35 wrote:
wab wrote:

It would never happen. Fangio wouldn’t plan on walking out the door in 4 years, Flip would be looking for a head coaching job starting next season (which he would get with even modest success), and teams hate that sort of ambiguity.
britbear
Player of the Month

So is Mullin saying we could get news on a new HC in the next 24-48 hrs before Fangio becomes a free agent? Could the Bears announce eg Flip, Shurmur or McDaniels now all of those are in their playoff prep week? I'm not so clued up on the rules. All I know is a 2nd interview of either of them couldn't take place until their team is knocked out or until after the championship games.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
mshu7
Pro Bowler

The Bears could announce that they’ve signed Vic to an extension, which would indicate that they’ve also come to an agreement with a new HC. But if the new HC was still in the playoffs (Eagles & Flip), they’d have to wait until their team was eliminated to make the official announcement.
-Shu
britbear
Player of the Month

Thanks. Suspected as much. Guess we're going have to play the patient waiting game. Which for long-suffering Bears fans is not easy.
Bleeding Navy and Orange!!! GO BEARS!!
mshu7
Pro Bowler

From @dabearsblog. As with anything, take it with a grain of salt.

Little tidbit for Monday morning: There was a serious connection between Pace & McDaniels & the Pats OC emerged from round one of interviews as most impressive candidate.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, there is A LOT of misinformation being spread by various camps. Best to just be patient as a fan.
-Shu
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

To be honest...I am not convinced that the Bears are going to get this right. I heard on the radio that Ginny McCaskey put the Bears ownership in a Generational Skip Trust. Meaning that when she dies, the family members that inherit the team, are going to owe taxes on a $3B asset, which they can't afford. So the team will have to go up for sale when Ginny passes. I think that's when I will be convinced that the Bears will be on the right track.
UOK
Site Admin

mshu7 wrote:From @dabearsblog. As with anything, take it with a grain of salt.

Little tidbit for Monday morning: There was a serious connection between Pace & McDaniels & the Pats OC emerged from round one of interviews as most impressive candidate.

Also, there is A LOT of misinformation being spread by various camps. Best to just be patient as a fan.
I was wondering what kind of insider info he was teasing.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote:To be honest...I am not convinced that the Bears are going to get this right. I heard on the radio that Ginny McCaskey put the Bears ownership in a Generational Skip Trust. Meaning that when she dies, the family members that inherit the team, are going to owe taxes on a $3B asset, which they can't afford. So the team will have to go up for sale when Ginny passes. I think that's when I will be convinced that the Bears will be on the right track.
Generation skipping transfer taxes are transferred at a much lower tax rate. It's also an installment tax.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am always cynical when these guys start trumpeting their inside info and anonymous sources bullshit ... this is all an exercise on who can guess correctly first since it is very likely none of these asswads knows a whole lot more than we do

which is kind of sad since they are being paid to actually know more than the average fan base ... but they shoot themselves in the foot by their rush to be first over riding any effort to try to actually be correct
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

Sports Mockery, bastion of truth, chimes in with news from their "source."

“BEARS AND (JOSH) MCDANIELS TALKS ADVANCING. PACE HAS ZEROED IN ON MCDANIELS FROM THE START AND HAS MADE HIM HIS TOP TARGET AND THAT HASN’T AND WON’T CHANGE. PACE WILL GO ALL OUT AND FIGHT UNTIL THE END TO GET HIS GUY.”

“PACE IS AWARE JOSH IS IN HIGH DEMAND AND WON’T BE UPSET WITH THAT. JOHN (DEFILIPPO) HAS IMPRESSED HIM TO THE POINT IF HE MISSES ON MCDANIELS HE HAS NO PROBLEMS HIRING JOHN AS HE HIT A GRAND SLAM IN HIS INTERVIEW.”
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Hopefully after the HC has been announced, it’ll be a little more clear which of these insiders had the legit sources.
-Shu
G08
Hall of Famer

Anyone have a pulse on what's going to happen? Local TV was stating that they think something will be announced this week, but it sounded like pure speculation.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
G08
Hall of Famer

McDaniels, I must say, excites the me most for being tied to Trubisky. That dude knows offensive football.

Can he be a leader of men, though? That's the biggest question mark I have... HOWEVER, I do think he needs some credit for developing Jimmy Garoppolo. Not a bad resume...
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"