UPDATE: Future Head Coaching Options Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Another Moon Mullin tweet about George/Phillips involvement.

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK wrote:Sports Mockery, bastion of truth, chimes in with news from their "source."

“BEARS AND (JOSH) MCDANIELS TALKS ADVANCING. PACE HAS ZEROED IN ON MCDANIELS FROM THE START AND HAS MADE HIM HIS TOP TARGET AND THAT HASN’T AND WON’T CHANGE. PACE WILL GO ALL OUT AND FIGHT UNTIL THE END TO GET HIS GUY.”

“PACE IS AWARE JOSH IS IN HIGH DEMAND AND WON’T BE UPSET WITH THAT. JOHN (DEFILIPPO) HAS IMPRESSED HIM TO THE POINT IF HE MISSES ON MCDANIELS HE HAS NO PROBLEMS HIRING JOHN AS HE HIT A GRAND SLAM IN HIS INTERVIEW.”

I don't particularly like Greg Gabriel - but as he pointed out - no one at Halas Hall save for a couple of people knew that the Bears were drafting Mitch Trubisky. Why does anyone think that Pace is going to leak out his feelings on the coaches interviews or who his leader is.

Now - its possible this is coming from McDaniels and his agent - but I doubt it.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Gabriel was on the radio last night and was saying that. He also said Bears fans need to pay more attention to Brad Biggs than anyone else out. He stated he feels Biggs gets more and better info than most "reporters", "insiders." Take that for what you want.

Have been listening to Boston sports talk. no real mentions of McDaniels, all about the melt down. These guys saying Brady basically shut out Jimmy G and wanted him out. Had his trainer quit working on Jimmy. brady was feel threatened.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Out of curiosity - has anyone heard of any possible DC's attached to McDaniels? One of the things I worry about with a McD hire is that the incest is so prevalent over there that I don't know how many connections outside of NE McDaniels might have.

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote:Gabriel was on the radio last night and was saying that. He also said Bears fans need to pay more attention to Brad Biggs than anyone else out. He stated he feels Biggs gets more and better info than most "reporters", "insiders." Take that for what you want.

Have been listening to Boston sports talk. no real mentions of McDaniels, all about the melt down. These guys saying Brady basically shut out Jimmy G and wanted him out. Had his trainer quit working on Jimmy. brady was feel threatened.

I absolutely believe that Belicheck would be ready to cut bait with Brady at the end of this season and start another 10yr run with Jimmy G. And I absolutely believe that Brady felt threatened by the idea of it.

Hopefully they crater and Kraft is left with an ugly shell of a team next year.

UOK
Site Admin

Biggs is the most trustworthy, unquestionable Bears media source out there. If he says it, it's happening.

Mullin has been covering the Bears for a long time and appears to be rather neutral about his reporting. Unlike blowhards like David Haugh and Mike Mulligan, who seem more bent on riling the fans up more than doing much actual reporting.
IotaNet
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Another Moon Mullin tweet about George/Phillips involvement.

That's a fair question.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

I'm not buying anything regarding to McDaniels until he's standing at the podium with a Bears hat on, if only for my own sanity.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:I don't particularly like Greg Gabriel - but as he pointed out - no one at Halas Hall save for a couple of people knew that the Bears were drafting Mitch Trubisky. Why does anyone think that Pace is going to leak out his feelings on the coaches interviews or who his leader is.
You beat me to it. Although HC interviews involve people outside the Bears war room. One thing that looks pretty clear. We're hearing sources saying Flip and another saying McDaniels. That tells you right there that some of the information out there is wrong.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Another Moon Mullin tweet about George/Phillips involvement.

if george mccaskey looked like george wendt we would never have to have this discussion.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:I'm not buying anything regarding to McDaniels until he's standing at the podium with a Bears hat on, if only for my own sanity.
That's how I feel too.

When I ranked the candidates, I said Flip scared me. And he does. But not because he has the big black splotch on his resume like McD does. Everything on Flips resume is good... Energetic teacher and motivator with great personality... History of success with young QBs... Last guy out of the building... It's just that some things are missing that make me nervous. It'll be easy to get behind Flip with hope. I'd get behind McDaniels too. But I'd be waiting for bad stuff to happen.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
IotaNet
MVP

RustyTrubisky wrote:if george mccaskey looked like george wendt we would never have to have this discussion.
Hey dere -- whaddaya mean? Would you be insinuating something about a certain kind of food? Da kind dat goes with spaghettis???

[video][/video]
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

From an SI article dated 1/2/18:
Will that be this year? When McDaniels says he’ll only leave for the right opportunity, that means he will not take a job unless two things are in place: 1) a quarterback he likes, or the opportunity to draft one; and 2) a good partner as GM. As far as the first criterion goes, the Bears have Mitchell Trubisky, last year’s No. 2 pick; the Colts have Andrew Luck, though the true status of the shoulder injury that kept him out all season is an important consideration; and the Giants have the No. 2 pick in this year's draft, with which they could draft their next potential franchise quarterback to succeed Eli Manning.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/josh- ... iants-mmqb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
G08
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:From an SI article dated 1/2/18:
Will that be this year? When McDaniels says he’ll only leave for the right opportunity, that means he will not take a job unless two things are in place: 1) a quarterback he likes, or the opportunity to draft one; and 2) a good partner as GM. As far as the first criterion goes, the Bears have Mitchell Trubisky, last year’s No. 2 pick; the Colts have Andrew Luck, though the true status of the shoulder injury that kept him out all season is an important consideration; and the Giants have the No. 2 pick in this year's draft, with which they could draft their next potential franchise quarterback to succeed Eli Manning.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/02/josh- ... iants-mmqb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adding on:
One player who has worked with McDaniels in New England calls him “the biggest extension of Bill Belichick.” He’s as detail-oriented as Belichick, has shown his creativity in making the most of the Patriots’ rotating cast of offensive skill-position players and, while Tom Brady served his Deflategate suspension during the first four games of the 2016 season, proved he can win games with quarterbacks not named Brady.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I just have the gut feeling McDaniels would choose the Colts over the Bears because of the implication he would have more control there ... and I'm ok with that

I think Shurmur is the safest option who could legitimately be Trubisky's mentor ... and once the Saints beat the crap out of the Vikings this weekend, he will be available
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Shurmur/Flip are my top wants. Nagy is my fallback. Fangio is my plan C.
Funkster
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Out of curiosity - has anyone heard of any possible DC's attached to McDaniels? One of the things I worry about with a McD hire is that the incest is so prevalent over there that I don't know how many connections outside of NE McDaniels might have.

I asked this same question back on page 80. I can't remember who said it but I read some tweets yesterday that said McDaniels could put together a top staff easily.

If he is willing to keep Fangio, I think this is a no brainer. He would have to be the #1 candidate on the list. With candidates becoming available to sign, I'm thinking we'll actually get a glimpse who really is in the hunt and who is just smoke and mirrors.
“Protect this fucking house, go all out, leave that shit out on the field, let’s have some fun, makes some plays baby ” Mitch Trubisky #believethesleeve
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote:Out of curiosity - has anyone heard of any possible DC's attached to McDaniels? One of the things I worry about with a McD hire is that the incest is so prevalent over there that I don't know how many connections outside of NE McDaniels might have.
Eric Mangini is floating out there somewhere in the ether... blah.
G08
Hall of Famer

Matt Nagy!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

guess this thread has run its course

I'm honestly surprised the move came so soon
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I'm just glad it was one of the three guys I was hoping it would be. Now he needs to keep Fangio and bring Eric Bieniemy over and I'll sleep well.
wab
Mod

Sooooo...

Bears: Nagy
Raiders: Gruden

Then...
Lions: Patricia?
Colts: McDaniels?
Giants: Wilks?
Cards: Shurmur?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I'd bet McDaniels goes to the Giants, leaving <insert name here> for the Colts. But otherwise I concur with wab's speculation above.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
IotaNet
MVP

thunderspirit wrote:I'd bet McDaniels goes to the Giants, leaving <insert name here> for the Colts. But otherwise I concur with wab's speculation above.
Don't doubt McDaniels to NY -- he seems like an abrasive, NY kinda guy. What about Dave Toub to Indy? (Again -- looking at the Ballard connection)

- Colin Powell
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

In light of the post, I thought I would bump this back up to the top, so we could peruse our comments. It's always fun to look back on some of our perspectives.
MoFugger
Head Coach

MoFugger wrote:
I don't exactly have NFL teams knocking down my door ask my opinion. But I am pretty much Nagy or bust. Kubiak might be a step forward from where we are now, but I only see it as a baby step.
I was so wise. And kind of an asshole.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Wow this was a trip down memory lane.

Going through my posts I pounded the table for Gary Kubiak pretty hard. I had Flip over Nagy too.

Glad to be very very wrong about what I wanted.
Bad Flanders
MVP

It's threads like this, and being able to revisit them, that makes us all better fans... makes us less hyperbolic and less reactionary... cause you can see it coming once you've looked back on one of these.

I need threads like this for old fights I've had with my wife! But then I do have her to remind me how wrong I've always been so I guess it's all a wash! LOL
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Bills offense is really struggling all the sudden. I hate to be reactionary and all, but I'm liking Kellen Moore more and more (no pun intended).
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Yeah. WTF happened to the Bills?!